Grammar Peeves

jameshd

CMFWIC
Link Removed

These are the Grammarly community's 2012 top ten grammar and writing peeves. What would you add to this list?

The link didn't work for me either. My pet peeve is someone who corrects someones spelling or grammar. Unless, of course, the one making the correction is wrong.

The link didn't work for me either. My pet peeve is someone who corrects someones spelling or grammar. Unless, of course, the one making the correction is wrong.

If you whine about people posting about grammar, should yours be correct?

If you whine about people posting about grammar, should yours be correct?

My peeve about grammer is all the money I spend on the school system and we still have too many illiterates. Then they complain how I need to "give back to society."

How about the illiterates refund the money I wasted to educate them!

Gee people, if you haven't noticed there are a lot of people on here who have difficulty using proper grammar. The more you read, the more you find that a lot of these people really have a good head on their shoulders but can't necessarily articulate like a college professor. As long as I can understand what they are trying to say I will not chastise them but continue to enjoy their posts. If all posts have to be grammatically correct, there might not be too many people posting anymore! Just saying.......:yes4:

For the most part I just let it go. This is a forum, not an official publication. But, when someone starts ranting about politics or religion or philosophy and how stupid someone is to think what they think, and he can barely put together a sentence, he looks kinda stupid.

For the most part I just let it go. This is a forum, not an official publication. But, when someone starts ranting about politics or religion or philosophy and how stupid someone is to think what they think, and he can barely put together a sentence, he looks kinda stupid.

Gee, who woulda thunk'd that?

Gee people, if you haven't noticed there are a lot of people on here who have difficulty using proper grammar. The more you read, the more you find that a lot of these people really have a good head on their shoulders but can't necessarily articulate like a college professor. As long as I can understand what they are trying to say I will not chastise them but continue to enjoy their posts. If all posts have to be grammatically correct, there might not be too many people posting anymore! Just saying.......:yes4:

Well, I have issues galore concerning grammar, English and punctuation. I have carried a dictionary with me since I discovered the necessity. I then bought a spell checker, an electronic one. Now I write everything I wish to have read and understood by others on Word, check the basics, cut and paste to the area I wish to post. Just as I have with this very one. It is an issue with me to attempt to correct myself not to offend or demean others. Some folks are very good with spelling and the like; I am not one of them. Being the perfect shot, subject matte expert in all things, perfect husband and the best father and grandfather, this world has ever seen takes up most of my time. (HA!)

I did not pay attention in skool . I will say sorry for all my post now

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Hear, hear!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I find we all make typos occasionally, and I will give a non-native English speaker much more latitude than someone who has spoken it since birth. I generally just cringe inside and get on with the intent of the post. I have real problems however when, after having read a post through three times, I still can't figure out what the writer is trying to say; especially when he then tries to justify it by saying he isn't a walking dictionary, grammar book, etc. I believe we should at least try to get it right in the interests of clear communication. It makes me wonder what else is too much trouble for them to get right.

Current pet peeve: the modern trend of using "bring" when it should be "take".

As a gentleman I find it of the utmost necessity to be able to articulate myself quite fluently. :laugh:

But one should not be arrogant towards those that had the misfortune of missing out an a good education, that is a sign of bad manners that does not become a gentleman.

(((Ooops, my monocle dropped)))

Well, I have issues galore concerning grammar, English and punctuation. I have carried a dictionary with me since I discovered the necessity. I then bought a spell checker, an electronic one. Now I write everything I wish to have read and understood by others on Word, check the basics, cut and paste to the area I wish to post. Just as I have with this very one. It is an issue with me to attempt to correct myself not to offend or demean others. Some folks are very good with spelling and the like; I am not one of them. Being the perfect shot, subject matte expert in all things, perfect husband and the best father and grandfather, this world has ever seen takes up most of my time. (HA!)
LOL....I have not attained perfection in many things...not that I haven't tried....but correct grammar and spelling are huge loves of mine. My posts here are usually long, and I reread them and proofread them countless times before posting in nearly all cases. I'm up to at least the 10th time I have "Previewed Post" on this post. Sometimes I will reread them several days later to make sure.

I am an accuracy freak too, and I might spend two or three hours, occasionally more, on a long post, researching all aspects of what I am writing about for accuracy and checking for grammar and spelling. If I have to leave before finishing the post, I will usually cut and paste it to Wordpad or to Word.

I did the Word thing as you do for several years, back when I first discovered the 'net, and always did it during the 10 years or so that I was an internet writer. (I wrote articles and product reviews for three PC hardware websites, spent most of those years writing over 10,000 words a week, along with posting essays mostly on historical topics, occasionally entering essay contests, running a blog, and being an active member on up to a dozen or so forums. The internet was my second 40+ hour job and I didn't make a cent off of it.) Actually, Word and other word processors, but especially Word, inject a lot of garbage that you may or may not see into the HTML. I actually was asked by one website owner to please not use a word processor, and he actually put a draft function both in the article section and the forum section of his website mostly for me. His online HTML editor was one of the most horrible things I have used for writing articles.

I think that it really doesn't make much difference now, unless someone is using an old hooptie computer with a browser that has never been updated. But any garbage in the HTML on any page, whether or not it was injected by a word processor or standalone HTML editor, or just a mistake in the HTML, wreaks havoc on any ancient browser. Firefox, IE 9 and IE 10, Google Chrome, etc, all are configured to constantly look for mistakes in HTML and the other parts of a webpage, and constantly make corrections to enhance your browsing experience.

As far as for the original question....it irks me to no ends. I can live with a spelling error or two, and maybe a grammatical error, but this day of texting into a forum or typing just enough that you think you are getting your point across totally drives me nuts.

But, I have learned to overlook it after spending my first several years on the internet criticizing people for it in email groups, bulletin boards, newsgroups, and in the early forums. By 2003 or so I had pretty much stopped it altogether, except for the occasional totally garbled post. I think that I actually defended justxboxin once for his lack of capitalization, punctuation, proper grammar, correct spelling, etc. Guess I'm getting mellow in my old age lol.

I find we all make typos occasionally, and I will give a non-native English speaker much more latitude than someone who has spoken it since birth. I generally just cringe inside and get on with the intent of the post. I have real problems however when, after having read a post through three times, I still can't figure out what the writer is trying to say; especially when he (OR SHE) then tries to justify it by saying he isn't a walking dictionary, grammar book, etc. I believe we should at least try to get it right in the interests of clear communication. It makes me wonder what else is too much trouble for them to get right.

Current pet peeve: the modern trend of using "bring" when it should be "take".
Corrected!

meeting the 15 character minimum

The run on sentences drive make it difficult for an old fart like me to get the meaning of the sentence in the first place.

There was someone in here that was posting a couple of months ago. I haven't seen anything from him lately and I forget his user name but he said he was is Southern Maryland someplace. The kid would post what everyone else would consider a paragraph or two with a change of thought buried in the middle of his writings and it was all one paragraph and all lower case with minimal punctuation!

If I'm conversing with someone in here and someone else feels it is necessary to jump in only to antagonize or act like a azzhat, and they come back with obvious spelling and gramatical errors, I will respond to their idiocy first by pointing out the obvious and then respond to their comments. That's just me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back