Good .380 ammo?

Oh definitely. I mean I've always said that even if people try and argue that a .380 isn't adequate enough to go through bone or penetrate far enough, it's still a damn bullet. I mean one friend tried to tell me he didn't like .380 because he had heard of people shooting someone in the head in self defense and it wasn't powerful enough to break the scull. But even if that were true, here's my logic...that dang bullet is moving at just under 1,000fps before it comes to a screeching halt on your forehead. IF you manage to stay conscious through that, don't you think that's gonna be enough to make you stop doing whatever the hell it is you're doing?

And when 4 or 5 more are right behind it.

If you look at the magazine in the G42 it looks like this:

Link Removed

It looks like they had room to squeeze an extra round or two in that magazine. I wonder why they didn't? My Bersa Thunder 380CC magazine holds eight and it is about the same size as the G42.

It looks like they had room to squeeze an extra round or two in that magazine. I wonder why they didn't? My Bersa Thunder 380CC magazine holds eight and it is about the same size as the G42.
My Bodyguard's magazines were smaller than that and held 6. WAY smaller than that!

My Bodyguard's magazines were smaller than that and held 6. WAY smaller than that!

Better yet, I saw the Shield and the 42 side by side and there's not much size difference. The Shield holds 7 rounds (or 8 with the larger one) of 9mm! G42 is great, but it'd be kind of silly for me to buy, though the guy at the shop tried to convince me to give it a chance. :laugh:

Better yet, I saw the Shield and the 42 side by side and there's not much size difference. The Shield holds 7 rounds (or 8 with the larger one) of 9mm! G42 is great, but it'd be kind of silly for me to buy, though the guy at the shop tried to convince me to give it a chance. :laugh:
Yeah honestly the only reason I'm giving it a go is because 1) my Bodyguard just had so many issues, 2) I got to hold one and it just feels awesome in the hand, 3) the price point isn't bad at all, and 4) like Wolf, I have trained and relied on a G22, so having a backup that functions identically just makes sense. Most of our guys that get to wear 5.11 pants can carry a G27 as a backup so that they can interchange mags. Unfortunately our pants they give is just aren't big enough in the legs for that.

That sucks cause the G42 to me is perfect size to make a Kimber Solo or Sig P938-sized 9mm. I don't think it needs to be any bigger. Honestly, any bigger and you're not going to be far off of a G26.

I don't think you are going to see a noticeably bigger gun when/if they decide to make a single stack 9mm. The 9mm is 19mm long while the .380 is 17mm long.

With the European G25, you can see the magazine has that extra 2mm grid on the back of the magazine to accommodate a 9mmx19mm mag well. That's the only thing Glock will have to work out to get the 9mm in our hands.

I don't think you are going to see a noticeably bigger gun when/if they decide to make a single stack 9mm. The 9mm is 19mm long while the .380 is 17mm long.

With the European G25, you can see the magazine has that extra 2mm grid on the back of the magazine to accommodate a 9mmx19mm mag well. That's the only thing Glock will have to work out to get the 9mm in our hands.
Well chop chop Glock! haha

Got my 642 sold today and got enough to place an order for a G42. Should be here some time next week. I'm pumped!

Still waiting on the Bodyguard to get sold, and might even try and sell my PK380 to get another toy to go along with it. Or I may save the money for a few months and see if I hear anything about this 9mm that Glock should have already come out with.

There is good information on YouTube. Shootingthebull410 has not found a .380 that does real well because he doesn't believe in +P ammo. Since his testing the XTP bullets have failed to expand in some other testing he has done so he still hasn't come up with a reliable load after all. Remington has just come out with a short barrel .380 Golden Saber that is not +P but has not been tested yet. I carry Buffalo Barnes all copper +P .380 in my Sig P238. The copper has shown maximum expansion with good penetration in all testing I have seen no matter the caliber. Underwood has a .380 +P 102 grain using the Remington Golden Saber bullet that should be good if tested. I don't blame Shootingthebull410 for not wanting to run +P in his Diamond Back gun.
The Glock42 is a 9mm size gun and it is too big for a .380 type gun. I am sure it shoots great but if you can carry and conceal a gun that big why go with .380?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He didn't test any +P 380 ammo because, since SAMI hasn't established any standard for 380 +P, anything marked 380 +P is simply overpressure 380. How much overpressure? Anybody's guess since there isn't a standard. So called 380 +P can vary widely between manufacturers.

Link to the Buffalo Barnes .380 Auto test: Pocket Guns and Gear: Buffalo Barnes and Corbon DPX 380 Auto Comparison Test

I am with ShootingTheBull410 on this one. Since there is no .380 Auto +P SAAMI standard, those rounds are loaded above standard. I wouldn't want those in a micro pistol with a thin-walled barrel. The standard pressure rounds that passed his tests are:

- Fiocchi Extrema XTP .380 ACP 90-grain JHP
- Precision One XTP .380 ACP 90-grain JHP
- HPR HyperClean XTP .380 ACP 90-grain JHP
- Hornady Custom XTP .380 ACP 90-grain JHP

I also count the Speer Gold Dot .380 ACP 90-grain JHP in, as it barely passed the test, but was thrown out at the end due to better competition.

There is good information on YouTube. Shootingthebull410 has not found a .380 that does real well because he doesn't believe in +P ammo. Since his testing the XTP bullets have failed to expand in some other testing he has done so he still hasn't come up with a reliable load after all. Remington has just come out with a short barrel .380 Golden Saber that is not +P but has not been tested yet. I carry Buffalo Barnes all copper +P .380 in my Sig P238. The copper has shown maximum expansion with good penetration in all testing I have seen no matter the caliber. Underwood has a .380 +P 102 grain using the Remington Golden Saber bullet that should be good if tested. I don't blame Shootingthebull410 for not wanting to run +P in his Diamond Back gun.
The Glock42 is a 9mm size gun and it is too big for a .380 type gun. I am sure it shoots great but if you can carry and conceal a gun that big why go with .380?

The Glock 42 is smaller than most people think. I thought the same thing when it first came out but it really is smaller than I thought. That's not to say that I don't think it shouldn't have been a 9mm, but I don't think it's too big to be a 380. To me, the longer barrel makes it much more accurate and the added velocity helps penetration and expansion.

The only 9mm ankle guns I was considering were the Solo or the P938. The Solo is just too damn expensive, and the 938 requires fine motor skills to operate (since it basically functions like a 1911), and that's not something I want on a SHTF gun.

He didn't test any +P 380 ammo because, since SAMI hasn't established any standard for 380 +P, anything marked 380 +P is simply overpressure 380. How much overpressure? Anybody's guess since there isn't a standard. So called 380 +P can vary widely between manufacturers.

My gun is rated for +p according to Sig. The powder companies are not going to sell you something to blow your gun up. People on these gun forums crack me up. People worry about such things as the name of their ammo if they have to shoot someone being used against them in court. Do you really think a powder company wouldn't be prosecuted if they over loaded ammo? There is no SAMMI rating for 9mm +P+ but Federal and Winchester have been selling it for years. The powder companies know where the limit is. Most all handgun ammo has been watered down from its beginning. SAMMI is a volunteer organization. There is a lot of information about +P on how it came about and what it means if you care to look it all up. It is not something to be used at the range but it is safe to carry in good guns. I would not use it in a LCP type gun.

^^^^^^^^

Exactly.

I have an LCP and I have shot CoreBon (which they call +P) without any problems. However, the chronograph showed only 20 ft/s difference. Not worth it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back