Good .380 ammo?

AndeyHall

I'm getting rid of my .38 to get me a Glock 42 and I've seen various people who endorse their own personal preference of ammo. But based on testing or whatever, who makes a really good hollow point carry round? I've always been a Hornady fan in most calibers, but I'm hearing not so good things about their .380 ammo these days.

All you eill get in this forum are personal opinions. There are a lot of websites that publish tesing results. Do your homework.

I have been collecting some data. Maybe this will help with your decision.
From my point of view if the bullet does not go deep enough you have problems.

.380 acp

100 gr. Hardcast FN I thought I had penetration on this bullet but it should be somewhat like the FMJFN. I have this round in my BUG

95 gr. F.M.J. F.N. 16.5" penetration in B. Gel. +P loading 19.5"

90 gr. HP Buffalo Bore, 13" penetration in B. Gel.

90 gr. Hornady XTP HP, 16" in B.Gel.

90 gr. Hornady Critical Defense, 11.5 in B.Gel.

90 gr. Speer Gold Dot HP, 10.5 in B.Gel.

90 gr. Winchester 95 gr. HP, 8" in B. Gel..

All you eill get in this forum are personal opinions. There are a lot of websites that publish tesing results. Do your homework.

You'll also get G42 owners who say "this worked well in my 42" and people who have already done the homework and can pass on links to shorten his search. He's been around long enough to know this. :smile:

Check out shootingthebull.com 380 ACP ammo test. He tested almost all 380 ACP Personal Defense ammo out of gun with a barrel of less than 4".

I have been collecting some data. Maybe this will help with your decision.
From my point of view if the bullet does not go deep enough you have problems.

.380 acp 90 gr. HP Buffalo Bore, 13" penetration in B. Gel.

Stan45 is that standard pressure or +P?

Check out shootingthebull.com 380 ACP ammo test. He tested almost all 380 ACP Personal Defense ammo out of gun with a barrel of less than 4".
He's actually the reason I posted this thread. The ammo he found to be the best in the G42 is Precision One...impossible to find around here. So I wanted to see if anyone had tested themselves or had already looked into this and wouldn't mind sharing their findings.

Also, if you look at where he tested Buffalo Bore in the G42, you can see the bullet go well past 12 inches and them bounces back around 9 inches. We'll based on his little formula, he only compensated to about 10". But you can clearly see where the bullet goes well past 13 or 14". I became a little leary of his testing methods at that point.

Precision One is available on line. Orders take about two weeks. They are sold in 50 round boxes, not 25 like many others. I have then and they work great in My Ruger LCP and Walther PPK\s.

Hey Andey,

I shot Speer Gold Dot out of my G42 without a hiccup. However, we've talked and I shot Speer Gold Dot out of my G22 as well.

I also have shot several different types of FMJ through the G42 without a problem. I would assume you will not have a problem with any ammo you finally select.

Hey Andey,

I shot Speer Gold Dot out of my G42 without a hiccup. However, we've talked and I shot Speer Gold Dot out of my G22 as well.

I also have shot several different types of FMJ through the G42 without a problem. I would assume you will not have a problem with any ammo you finally select.

Thanks wolf. I figured you'd chime in since you were the first person I'd heard of to own a G42. You still liking it?

While I've got you here, I know this has been asked by virtually everyone, but have you heard why Glock did not go ahead and make it in a 9mm?

He's actually the reason I posted this thread. The ammo he found to be the best in the G42 is Precision One...impossible to find around here. So I wanted to see if anyone had tested themselves or had already looked into this and wouldn't mind sharing their findings.

Also, if you look at where he tested Buffalo Bore in the G42, you can see the bullet go well past 12 inches and them bounces back around 9 inches. We'll based on his little formula, he only compensated to about 10". But you can clearly see where the bullet goes well past 13 or 14". I became a little leary of his testing methods at that point.

In Ballistic gel we just compare one bullet to another, but these results are not the same in real SD shootings

In Ballistic gel we just compare one bullet to another, but these results are not the same in real SD shootings

Oh definitely. I mean I've always said that even if people try and argue that a .380 isn't adequate enough to go through bone or penetrate far enough, it's still a damn bullet. I mean one friend tried to tell me he didn't like .380 because he had heard of people shooting someone in the head in self defense and it wasn't powerful enough to break the scull. But even if that were true, here's my logic...that dang bullet is moving at just under 1,000fps before it comes to a screeching halt on your forehead. IF you manage to stay conscious through that, don't you think that's gonna be enough to make you stop doing whatever the hell it is you're doing?

Thanks wolf. I figured you'd chime in since you were the first person I'd heard of to own a G42. You still liking it?

While I've got you here, I know this has been asked by virtually everyone, but have you heard why Glock did not go ahead and make it in a 9mm?

I have no idea why they didn't make a single stack in 9mm. I do know if they have plans for it, it will sell like hotcakes though. The 9mm is a bit longer than the .380 and with the European .380's, Glock used a 9mm frame to build them so their magazines look like this:

DansM-25Glock.jpg

If you look at the magazine in the G42 it looks like this:

Link Removed

I would have to assume, that if they do make a single stack 9mm, they would have to start with a new frame since the mag well won't fit the 9mm.

I have no idea why they didn't make a single stack in 9mm. I do know if they have plans for it, it will sell like hotcakes though. The 9mm is a bit longer than the .380 and with the European .380's, Glock used a 9mm frame to build them so their magazines look like this:

DansM-25Glock.jpg

If you look at the magazine in the G42 it looks like this:

Link Removed

I would have to assume, that if they do make a single stack 9mm, they would have to start with a new frame since the mag well won't fit the 9mm.
That sucks cause the G42 to me is perfect size to make a Kimber Solo or Sig P938-sized 9mm. I don't think it needs to be any bigger. Honestly, any bigger and you're not going to be far off of a G26.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back