glock troubles

Glock fan, what is the best brand ammo for the Glock 23 40 s&w ?

I used car-bon 9mm 124 grain + p for smith wesson

You will be the one who decides what ammo is best for you. Through trial and error, I have found my preferences in ammo. There are several factors in determining what ammo is "best". Consider the following:

What the ammo is being used for (SD, plinking, competition, target shooting, etc.)
Performance in the individual firearm. (Certain cartridges work better than others though they may be the same caliber and bullet type)
Your individual shooting style and skill level. (Depending on your personal abilities, a lighter load may be better for you)
Budget (Many people subscribe to the school of thought that the most expensive ammo is the "best". I personally feel that you will need to spend some decent money for quality ammo, though it doesn't need to be the most expensive.)

My suggestion would be to purchase various loads and see what works best for you for the intended purposes. A very important, and often overlooked step in the ammo selection process is test firing. If you carry a firearm for SD, you should fire a box or two of your SD ammo on a regular basis. This ensures that the rounds function properly in your firearm and builds confidence in the round.

gf

I might add that you want to try a variety of ammo for another reason: Just as a car will perform better with one brand of gasoline over another, frequently a firearm will demonstrate a particular preference for one ammo over another - better accuracy, more reliable feeding, more comfortable to shoot, whatever. Even within a particular breed of gun - a Glock, in this instance - and in the same model, one gun may perform better with this ammo than with that.

Although I'm sure someone else here with more experience can explain it better than I can, it's because when a gun fires it "vibrates" a certain way, and every gun/ammo combination will vibrate differently, even if microscopically. These vibrations affect the way the round exits the barrel, and has an impact (sorry!) on accuracy.

As GlockFan said, knowing in your heart that a certain gun/ammo combination will absolutely go where you expect it to go is a definite confidence builder.

I am new here and want to say Howdy but also wanted to say..I CCW a G23 and use Speer Gold Dot 165GR JHP in my Glock and have no troubles at all. This is my second G23 (sold my first one like a dummy)! I polish my feed ramps on all my semi autos by hand using nothing but Mothers Polishing compound and a little muscle. Smoothes out all the little fine micro pitting and sharp edges of the feed ramp. Great site here, found you by accident while surfing.

I am new here and want to say Howdy but also wanted to say..I CCW a G23 and use Speer Gold Dot 165GR JHP in my Glock and have no troubles at all. This is my second G23 (sold my first one like a dummy)! I polish my feed ramps on all my semi autos by hand using nothing but Mothers Polishing compound and a little muscle. Smoothes out all the little fine micro pitting and sharp edges of the feed ramp. Great site here, found you by accident while surfing.

Welcome to the site!! Nice choice in firearms... Good load choice too!!

I've never had a problem with any Glock or any ammuntion fired through them.

This is a peculiar case, which I personally find interesting due to the reliability of Glock firearms.

Glock is not my favorite, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry one into battle or into a street fight.

I've never had a problem with any Glock or any ammuntion fired through them.

This is a peculiar case, which I personally find interesting due to the reliability of Glock firearms.

Glock is not my favorite, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry one into battle or into a street fight.

I've personally experienced a few problems with Glock magazines. All of the Glocks that I worked on that had "problems" were due to folks using aftermarket parts or doing stuff to their Glock that they weren't supposed to. Actually had a guy bring a G 22 to me that had swapped a polymer and metal pin. :eek:

gf

I use Winchester 155 grain for target. You can get them at Walmart for about $30 per 100. For SD I am using Hornady TAP FPD. When the Hornady Critical Defense come out for .40, I am getting those. I have done my research and those look best. Take a look at these sites:

An insightful opinion on various ammo for all calibers
Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

Ballistic gel testing of various brands in all calibers
Link Removed

I came back across this thread while surfing around the site. I now believe that I was the problem, not the gun..Being that the gun was pretty new when I bought it, the last round was difficult to get into the magazine. I think that I was causing it to jam by not inserting the round properly. When I load the mags. now, after the last round is in I hit the magazine on the bottom with my hand and that seems to cause the rounds to settle into their proper position. you can definately feel the difference if you try to strip the round by hand out of the mag.

My wife and I have 7 Glocks, never had any operational trouble with any of them, but one thing I do when readying the guns to shoot is load the mags completly then rack a round and as a rule I do not top up the mag with the last round, the mag go's in easyer, and its not so tough on the mag spring if left that way

My wife and I have 7 Glocks, never had any operational trouble with any of them, but one thing I do when readying the guns to shoot is load the mags completly then rack a round and as a rule I do not top up the mag with the last round, the mag go's in easyer, and its not so tough on the mag spring if left that way
Say what?

You can leave a mag fully loaded for years and it isn't "tough" on the spring. What wears out springs is cycling them and what damages springs is exceeding their elastic limit (over stretching or compressing). Simply loading a mag to capacity and leaving it alone does neither of those things.

ETA: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_163_27/ai_99130369/

I've noticed that on these forums when a Glock is said to have issues that there are many who can't pass up the rare chance to nanny-nanny-boo-boo Glock... To me, that's just a testament to Glocks reliability!

Why is it that all the weirdos come out of wood work when you mention the work Glock, similar when to when someone mentions Ron Paul.

I've noticed that on these forums when a Glock is said to have issues that there are many who can't pass up the rare chance to nanny-nanny-boo-boo Glock... To me, that's just a testament to Glocks reliability!

What exactly is a nanny-nanny-boo-boo Glock..........

I noticed something before I sent my 19 in for service. With the slide open and locked, and the barrel ready to receive round, there seemed to be a lot of play in the barrel, meaning I could move it front to rear approx 3/16 of an inch. Is that normal or should it be relatively fixed. If the gun is pointed up then down the barrel will move in and out, seemed unusual?
This isn't a problem. The barrel is not secure when the slide is locked open and some movement may occur.

Regarding causes of the feed issue, there are a lot of possible causes so let's look at the common denominators:

1. Are you limp wristing? Does this happen with all Glocks?
2. Try polishing the feed ramp with a little Flitz.
3. Are there grooves in the magazine followers? Deep grooves from high use can change the angle of the bullet as it touches the feed ramp. Try getting new followers for the mag. They're about $5 each
4. Weak mag springs may contribute to this as the round is not in position to be stripped off by the slide. Could be the entire mags should be replaced. Try another mag that didn't come with the gun.
5. Check your recoil spring. If it's worn you may not have enough snap to get the round properly stripped off the mag. It's a $20 change to try another spring and guide rod. Just use the stock setup. Your problem sounds the same as when a shooter recycles the slide manually and rides" the slide back causing that exact jamb.

try lone-wolf distributors for these parts.

Only problem out of 15 Glocks I have owned was a G27 that had a magazine problem that caused the slide not to lock back on the last round - it was an aftermarket mag that came with the gun. And the only thing I do to them is upgrade the sights or put in a NY1 spring which cleans up the trigger a bit.
One thing I will point out is Glocks have a lifetime guarantee - and that is on the gun, not the user. You can be the umpteenth person to own it and Glock will fix it free and bring it up to factory specs with new parts if needed, providing it's still stock. Cost is only shipping to GA.
And Glock bashing has never bothered me because while I'm shooting, I see the other guy fiddling around with his 'other brand' trying to make it work. :laugh:

titaniumman:104258 said:
I just sent my 19 in for repair:angry:. It has feeding problems. The round is hitting the lip on the bottom of the feed ramp and holding the slide open. It seems as if the round is "nosing down" as it goes to feed . It happens with both mags, and 2 diff types of ammo. anybody seen this before?
its probably the plastic mags

I too have had the feed issue on several models. That ramp angle along with magazine angle causes rounds( especially SJHP) to catch and jam. Letters to Glock have resulted in the usual " were aware" blah-blah. I fixed my feed problem with a Barsto barrel, that solved the 'unsupported round and the improper feed' None of these after market ' match' style barrels are cheap but since installation- no jams. NOTE( you know this rite?)many of these ' match-after market' are not drop in's and may require a file

There are many Glocks in my family, and I fire the large frame models. All of mine have been modified to some extent except for the G36 which was made to my specs (took five months to get). The G30SF was modified by installing tritium sights. The G20SF spring was replaced with a non-captured 19# spring and metal guide rod. It functions perfectly. The G20SF was extensively modified AFTER a KB using stock parts. A postmortem on the fired cases indicated that the slide was cycling while there was still considerable pressure in the barrel. In one case, it caused the head of a case to be pulled off damaging the magazine and some small parts of the gun. The chamber in that particular G20SF allowed the cases to expand between 0.015 - 0.018, and the "guppy belly" went nearly half way down the case. After replacing the barrel with a Lone Wolf (mine dropped right in) barrel and Wolff 20# recoil spring, case expansion is a maximum of 0.005 inch with no "belly" and I have had NO feeding problems whatever with any ammunition, factory or reload. I also replaced the trigger and block pins with Titanium and added tritium sights. The Titanium pins came after seeing what the pins looked like in my son's .357 Sig Glock after a few hundred rounds. Yes, I load the 10mm heavy. If I wanted a .40 I would have bought one. All in all, I think that the Glock is an excellent weapon. If there is a fault to them, it would be that the springs tend to be a bit light. I have seen no negative effects in mine by using heavier springs.

Say what?

You can leave a mag fully loaded for years and it isn't "tough" on the spring. What wears out springs is cycling them and what damages springs is exceeding their elastic limit (over stretching or compressing). Simply loading a mag to capacity and leaving it alone does neither of those things.

ETA: Magazine spring madness: 'creep' to your 'elastic limit' to un-earth the urban legend of 'spring-set' | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET
Yea I know but with a round in the chamber and a complety full mag the gun just don't feel right when the mag is put back in, works ok this way but I just prefer not to

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back