Gen4 Glock 23

A more meaningful statement might be, "For defensive purposes, the 9mm Parabellum and the .40 S&W are equally effective, according to FBI test protocols.

yes, thank you, you are correct.

As for the ER cases, it is a slippery slope regarding claims like that. I've seen a lot of guys on here talking about how they practice at 25 yards. Which would account for people surviving.

sent via ipad using tapatalk

Let's not forget what you originally said:

ballistically .40 the same as 9mm

In terms of ballistics .40 is not the same as 9mm. Do some actual research before you make claims and you might be surprised.

Take for example Remington Golden Saber rounds.
9mm (124 grain)- 1125 ft/sec and 349 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle.
.40SW (180 grain)- 1015 ft/sec and 412 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle.

Somehow 1125 does not equal 1015, and neither does 349 equal 412.

Different rounds, different ballistics, different results.

Let's not forget what you originally said:

In terms of ballistics .40 is not the same as 9mm. Do some actual research before you make claims and you might be surprised.

Take for example Remington Golden Saber rounds.
9mm (124 grain)- 1125 ft/sec and 349 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle.
.40SW (180 grain)- 1015 ft/sec and 412 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle.

Somehow 1125 does not equal 1015, and neither does 349 equal 412.

Different rounds, different ballistics, different results.

I dunno, looks pretty close to me....

Link Removed

Maybe OtisM will sell his 40 to my wife, maybe she could trade some pots and pans or a mop. At least then he would have something he could handle.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I don't even own a gun. I did have a pellet gun when I was in 5th grade that was pretty badass. Ballistically the same as a .22

There is no noticable differance in recoil between the Gen4 and the earlyer versions, for a personal defence carry weapon, the 40 would be a better choice, and the 23 would be a bunch easyer to shoot consistantly than the 27, but most can be good with ether with practice, but one thing I have found is most who buy a 27 end up puting on the mag extention, even the small one, because if you do that you may as well have the 23, 19 and 26 9mms do have less recoil, but they are a little less effective, don't forget the 40 is the prefered choice of all law enforcement, local, federal, and private, some departments give the officer a choice, but not often, and most departments shoot the G-22 which is a full size 40, and fairly easy to be good with..........

Looks pretty same minus the large differences in wound diameter and overall damage produced.

I guess a blind person would say they all look the same

Yes, a 1 inch wound channel has devastating effects, but it's not going to stop anyone unless it penetrates to vital organs.

And I quote:

According to Dr. Martin Fackler and the International Wound Ballistics Association (IWBA), between 12.5 and 14 inches (318 and 356 mm) of penetration in calibrated tissue simulant is optimal performance for a bullet which is meant to be used defensively, against a human adversary. They also believe that penetration is one of the most important factors when choosing a bullet (and that the number one factor is shot placement). If the bullet penetrates less than their guidelines, it is inadequate, and if it penetrates more, it is still satisfactory though not optimal. The FBI's penetration requirement is very similar at 12 to 18 inches (305 to 457 mm).

Yes, a 1 inch wound channel has devastating effects, but it's not going to stop anyone unless it penetrates to vital organs.

And I quote:

Penetration is a big factor in stopping somebody. But anyone with a brain knows that penetration is not the only important factor. If it was, Im sure you would only carry full metal jackets. But Im sure you, like most others, carry hollow points because we all know penetration is not the only important factor. Things like the diameter of the wound channel are also important.

Penetration is a big factor in stopping somebody. But anyone with a brain knows that penetration is not the only important factor. If it was, Im sure you would only carry full metal jackets. But Im sure you, like most others, carry hollow points because we all know penetration is not the only important factor. Things like the diameter of the wound channel are also important.

According to Dr. Martin Fackler and the International Wound Ballistics Association (IWBA), between 12.5 and 14 inches (318 and 356 mm) of penetration in calibrated tissue simulant is optimal performance for a bullet which is meant to be used defensively, against a human adversary. They also believe that penetration is one of the most important factors when choosing a bullet (and that the number one factor is shot placement). If the bullet penetrates less than their guidelines, it is inadequate, and if it penetrates more, it is still satisfactory though not optimal. The FBI's penetration requirement is very similar at 12 to 18 inches (305 to 457 mm).

Penetration is quite obviously not the only important factor. You said it yourself.

I don't notice recoil until I shoot my G20. And what's all this about 9mm or .40? Get on up to the G30 with 200g +P and be sure to double tap or triple tap - now we're talking.

Is there an explanation of the differences in the colors of the wound channels where you found this chart?

This is a compilation of photos taken in semi clear gel. Because of different wounding and temporary cavitation, the images look different. There is no "coloring difference", just looks that way.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back