Front Sight Training School in Nevada.

DarrellM5:214564 said:
So far I've attended 40 days of training at Front Sight. I live in Nevada so it's only 3 1/2 hours away. I have several family members and quite a few friends that train there regularly. The instruction is top notch and there is no compromising on safety. They offer a large variety of courses and have 24 or 25 ranges. They are a world class training facility.

I also believe that some of the other schools (Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, LFI, and Gabe Suarez's to name a few) offer top-notch instruction as well. However, I've only spent a fraction of the cost of those schools to train for 40 days at Front Sight and, with my Diamond Membership, I can continue to take any class they offer, as many times as I wish, for the rest of my life at no additional cost.

I wouldn't try to discourage anyone from attending one of the other schools. Some of them might be just as good as Front Sight,but I don't think any are better.

I keep seeing you guys mention this "Diamond Membership". What is that, how much did it cost you and what other benefits does it have?

Most of them are gone but it was a pay once and use the place anytime with 2 weeks notice and be sure to get in. As many times in your lifetime as you want. Here is the silver one which is available. Front Sight Firearms Training Institute which is $1995 for onetime payment or $4272 if you pay it over 48 months at $89 a month. If I lived in NV I'd have one.

I am a lifetime diamond member. Every time I go there, I meet all kinds of military and law enforcement types who come to FS for training.

So...I'm a believer.

Thanks to this critter JJFlash, I am also a lifetime member...

As is 6shootercarry, I am also a lifetime member thanks to JJFlash, and I am very appreciative.

SaintJerome, we were at Front Sight for the the 4 day defensive handgun at the same time you were! All together there were seven of us USACarry folk, and I know that somebody (maybe 6shootercarry?) got a picture of the elderly lady with the holster and mag carrier attached to her walker!

I will confirm that the four days of training received at Front Sight were better than that I received in police academy. I enjoyed my time there, and will be repeating the class this September with my newbie girlfriend.

As is 6shootercarry, I am also a lifetime member thanks to JJFlash, and I am very appreciative.

SaintJerome, we were at Front Sight for the the 4 day defensive handgun at the same time you were! All together there were seven of us USACarry folk, and I know that somebody (maybe 6shootercarry?) got a picture of the elderly lady with the holster and mag carrier attached to her walker!

I will confirm that the four days of training received at Front Sight were better than that I received in police academy. I enjoyed my time there, and will be repeating the class this September with my newbie girlfriend.

Link Removed

Nothing says "I'll not be a victim" better...

Having attended classes and taught there I recommend Front Sight wholeheartedly.

I strongly advocate looking around for a "certificate" for a 4 day class rather than pay the "list price."

I've seen some on eBay. So save some money, buy more ammo, and plan a trip to Vegas around the class.

I have been to Frontsight last November............ Grrrrrrreeeeat!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think every should go there or to a class like it (might be hard to find).... it was worth the trip from MO ....... Great folks to work with. If you sign up on there web sight they will put you on there mailing list and send deals on the classes. lots of mail from them but some of it is very good...

My review from another forum a few months back:

The course we took is called "Four-Day Defensive Handgun" and that's what it is. The emphasis is heavily on timed shots from a concealed holster. There's a lot packed into the course, and no breaks other than lunch.

The course is designed in such a way that beginning shooters and old hands can all get a lot of benefit out of it. Each technique is taught, then demonstrated, then practiced dry, then practiced live. Nothing tacticool here, just how to get the gun out and shoot it.

One of my favorite points about this school is what they don't do. As with any training, I have minor disagreements about a few small details of the things they teach. So where I have my own reasons for doing something a little different, I do it my way. At other training facilities I've been constantly "corrected" on this, to the point of harassment, and even belittled for having a different opinion. Here, they continued to correct me on things that actually mattered, but recognized the things I was doing my way on purpose and left me alone on those things.

The instructors were good-natured throughout, and never set themselves up to be anything more than competent instructors. This is another major contrast to other places, where every instructor is a super-duper-high-speed-low-drag-ninja-sniper-recon-blah-blah-frickin'-blah. Egos don't get in the way at Front Sight.

My nitpicks are few. For one, because they pack so much into the time, there's very little opportunity for more experienced shooters to help the less experienced (or less able for whatever reason). Not a big deal. There are a few others not even worth mentioning.

All in all, a very good course for any level of competence. (Just don't pay list price, which is $2000. There are plenty of people selling certificates.) I highly recommend it.

I am also a Diamond member who has taken a bunch of classes at FS. I have not taken classes anywhere else so i can't comment on differences but FS made me a better gun handler in every way, safer, faster, more accurate, etc.

Retail price on the website for Diamond memberships was almost $100,000. As a diamond member you can take any class they ever offer as many times as you want for the rest of your life.
FS had different deals going for their different memberships all the time so you would be crazy to pay full price. Diamond memberships are all sold out at this point so unless you know someone who bought extras that they can sell and assign, you can't get one any more...

You could post and see if anyone has one for sale if you are interested. I'm sure there are a few to be had floating around.

What tactical mistakes does FS make that GS get's right?
What level of classes are you talking about? Beginner or advanced?
What personal experience do you have with each school? Have you taken several classes at each school?

I am not sure if they do or do not. But wish they had place like FS or something in Ohio. I love to go.

The only people, in my experience, that hate on Front Sight are mall ninjas who haven't actually done any training, they just read about it. Front Sight's roots are Gunsite, so I don't know where "Many mistakes in tactics are taught" came from.

An earlier poster said it right that FS isn't concerned with what's tacticool or trendy at the moment. The 4 day class is designed to teach safe weapon handling from concealment. Every one from soccer moms to SEALs have attended training there and took some knowledge home with them.

No one is expected to be high speed low drag when they leave; they are expected to know what they don't know and continue practicing with a solid foundation of skills.

MY pet peeve is the marketing. I know he needs to make money, I just don't like the salesmanship. Thankfully, that stuff is kept off the ranges, and you can skip the sales pitch (after your 1st time); it is scheduled to not interfere with range time.

I have attended A LOT of training over the years and the Front Sight program is outstanding. If you can't make it to Vegas, try Gunsite, LFI, Thunder Ranch, USSA, or even your local NRA instructor. Get some training (NOT from Mall Ninjas) and take it from there.

Stay safe and shoot straight!

I find it interesting that the guy who complains about Front Sight tactics posted in another thread that in a defensive encounter, you should shoot them in the knee. I'll stick to Front Sight tactics over that every day of every week of every year.

I have to say to the people on the fence.... Get busy. E-Bay always has Certs avail for less than a $100. Hotels are easy on the pocket book, and ammo at Wal-Marts is a breeze. Only the time you take is voluntary. I too am a Diamond member, And I would be amiss for not saying thank you to JJFlash, 6Shootercarry and Boomboy007.

I have to say to the people on the fence.... Get busy. E-Bay always has Certs avail for less than a $100. Hotels are easy on the pocket book, and ammo at Wal-Marts is a breeze. Only the time you take is voluntary. I too am a Diamond member, And I would be amiss for not saying thank you to JJFlash, 6Shootercarry and Boomboy007.

Heck, at the moment they're selling their 'Weekday' class certificates for $69 again (that's the deal I went on for my visit). Sadly, you get an idea of their marketing hype just trying to get to the deal, but frontsight.com/wow ...yes, "/wow" starts the hype, gets you to a description of it. I figured for $69, you're not losing too much, and odds are that most people would learn something

I notice that Gunsite guys are always bashing Frontsight...hmmm....too tough a competition I guess. I have found nothing but utmost professionalism.

Well, based in part on the responses here to my question, based in part on other research I've done, based in part that they emailed me a screamin' deal this week, I signed up for a Four Day midweek pistol class. Due to work constraints, I won't be able to attend a class before spring, but I'm looking forward to it.

I'll be sure to post an After-Action Report once I go. Thanks for the feedback.

As threatened, the after-action report.

Bottom line, I enjoyed the practice and I picked up some handy malfunction drills, but I didn't get a lot out of the four day course. I guess I was blessed to take the NRA Personal Protection Classes from a NRA Senior Training Counselor, and I had learned all the tactics / mindset / after action stuff before I had set foot on Front Sight's door. And as a UPSPA and IDPA shooter, I'm pretty much ok with stress-fire practice. It'd be good for a new CCW holder, but I think bang for the buck, NRA classes and a private instruction with a good teacher are the way to go. If you don't know a good teacher and are new shooter, then Front Sight is for you.

Full AAR is in five parts on my blog:
Misfires & Light Strikes > Home - Front Sight Four Day Defensive Handgun Course, Day One

Misfires & Light Strikes > Home - Front Sight Four Day Defensive Handgun Course, Day Two

Misfires & Light Strikes > Home - Front Sight Four Day Defensive Handgun Course, Day Three

Misfires & Light Strikes > Home - Front Sight Four Day Defensive Handgun Course, Day Four

Misfires & Light Strikes > Home - Front Sight Four Day Defensive Handgun Course Wrapup

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back