First Time Carrying

srshadwi

I have had my MN and FL non-resident CCW permits for quite some time now, but since I live in Illinois I have not had the opportunity to put them to use.

For the last week I have been in Tampa, FL for work and I have carried my Springfield XD(m) 9mm every day. I purchased a Crossbreed Supertuck (horsehide without the Combat Cut) and I really like the combo. The supertuck is extremely comfortable while sitting, driving, walking, etc. I couldn't rate it higher. I don't have much experience with holsters so you can take my opinion for what it is worth, but I don't see ANY reason to shop for a new holster.

At first I was a little nervous and kept thinking people were looking at me in a funny way, but after I have had multiple, long conversations with people (while I was armed) I am realizing that everyone is fairly oblivious. I have had my sidearm on me while wearing an untucked t-shirt, polo shirt, and a tucked-in dress shirt with dress pants and the concealment is excellent.

Another thing I noticed was that I don't feel encumbered at all, if anything I have a new sense of freedom while I carry my weapon. I am proud to be an American. I can't imagine living anywhere else. Illinois is another story . . .

Steve

... I was a little nervous and kept thinking people were looking at me in a funny way...
They do that all the time, you're just used to it unless you're armed.
Another thing I noticed was that I don't feel encumbered at all, if anything I have a new sense of freedom while I carry my weapon. I am proud to be an American. I can't imagine living anywhere else. Illinois is another story . . .

Steve
After a while you feel uncomfortable unarmed, like something is missing. You're not alone in still being proud of the USA, but there are better states to live in than Illinois when it comes to gun rights. Maybe SCOTUS will provide the decision we need to finally reassert the Constitution in 2010 and Illinois will rejoin 'free America'.

There ain't no better country to live in that's for sure, glad you had a good chance to use your cross breed. As NDS stated the time will come when you feel naked or outta sorts when it is not on you.

There ain't no better country to live in that's for sure, glad you had a good chance to use your cross breed. As NDS stated the time will come when you feel naked or outta sorts when it is not on you.

Interesting...I have carried 24/7 (and I mean 24/7) now for about a year. The other nite I was going to an "entertainment establishment" (read: bar) to practice some music with some fellow musicians. We jam in a back room, not the bar. At any rate, on the OUTSIDE chance that I MIGHT have a drink (I rarely do), I left my peice at home. Holy smokes, did I feel like something was missing! And I didn't care for the feeling at all.

Oh so your the guy I saw carrying a gun in Tampa last week! :biggrin:

Welcome to Florida, you may just get used to it.

I have a Crossbreed too and love it!!!! :pleasantry: Esp the not collapsing part.
You`ll get over the "everyone is staring at me" feeling soon. :no:

Hey Steve,

I was a LEO in Tampa for 28 years. Tampa is no Atlanta when it comes to crime, but I think ALL law abiding citizens should CC when they visit the "Cigar City." I never had a problem with a licensed carrier while on duty, and in fact several times they helped us catch some crooks!

Took me about 30 minutes to get over the "can they see it?" feeling... My feeling now is if they do notice and say anything I'll say, yup it's loaded, And yours? What? You don't have one? Sorry to hear that. No you can't borrow mine... The feeling goes away and as others have mentioned you will miss it when it's not on. Like deodorant, at some point you'll realize you failed to put it on...Yuck..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back