Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

porcupine73

Hi all. I didn't see any threads on here specifically about Erie County, NY so I thought I would start one.

Any info that might be useful for people applying in Erie County would be great, for example
  • How long it took to get your permit
  • Any problems you encountered
  • Who is your local PD and did they send questionnaires or phone call your character references
  • What restrictions (if any) you got on your permit verses what you applied/asked for.

Link Removed - Obtain application in person or by mail from the Erie County Clerk's Office; site also has an example of the Erie County portion of the application.

Any info I have been able to find indicates Erie County, NY permits are generally issued with restrictions such as hunting and target.

"Applicants must have instructions in the safe handling of firearms from a certified instructor, and proof of such training must be submitted with the application." It appears the NRA Basic Pistol class satisfies this requirement. Many locations offer the class, a couple I know of:
  • Link Removed holds a class several times a week.
  • Gander Mountain in Tonawanda has a class about once a month, see 'events' here Link Removed - Jim Carr usually does the Gander Mountain class; I think he is also going to start offering the Utah CCW class. Link Removed
  • Also see the 'outdoor sports' section of the Buffalo News: Link Removed

Last edited:
I am preparing to apply in Erie County; my next step is getting four people in my town who I have known for at least a few years to agree to be my 'character references' and sign my applications.

Well I am new here, but I had turned in my application, money, prints and the whole deal in Erie County 3 months ago now, and still haven't heard a thing, when I went in the told me to expect a 6 month wait, I am halfway there! I will keep you abreast of what happens.

Ok thanks for the info! and welcome. I was just up at a local shop and the word is 6-8 months right now if everything checks out, your references respond, etc. They said pistol permit applications are way up.

Did any of your character references say they've been contacted yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh hey, quick question, when you got your application packet, was it folded? I sent for mine by mail so it has two folds in it to fit in the envelope. I"m wondering if they're folded if you pick them up at the Clerk's office?

Some states say the fingerprint card will be rejected if it is folded. I think NY does their own background check maybe not using FBI or something since NY card's are not the FBI cards like Utah and Florida use.

It was folded, and of course when I went to get my prints done, I got scolded, for it being shuffled and I explained to the officer it was sent to me that way via the mail and he said that someone messed up, so your probably better off picking one up. As far as references nobody has heard anything as of yet. Soon I hope! I have a friend that is one month ahead of me, he turned his in exactly one month earlier then me and he hasn't heard anything either.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try mailing in a full size envelope and see if I get back an unfolded application.

Maybe they only contact your references after your background check is complete. If so it could be six months maybe before they try to contact them.

The unfortunate thing for me is, I have 2 other counties within walking distance of my home and friends in these counties have gotten their permits within days, instead of months. Erie county is something else.

Really? Wow that's fast. I thought the biggest delay was in the background/fingerrint check but I could be wrong. Even on Erie County's Web site they say 6-8 months. Basically others have said you can call to check the status but to try to get them to do it in six months (even though that's what the law says) would require time, money, and lawyers (and more money).

Some states say the fingerprint card will be rejected if it is folded.

It was folded, and of course when I went to get my prints done, I got scolded, for it being shuffled and I explained to the officer it was sent to me that way via the mail and he said that someone messed up,

In my county the clerk had me mail mine to her after I got my refs signatures. She confirmed folded wasn't an issue so i sent it in a standard envelope.

hey fellow shooters. i also am in the prosses of getting my license, i hope to get a security job . currently i had a job lined up but i need my license in order to get it. being as Erie county takes so long im still waiting for it to go from my local pd to the judge that will hopefully grant it. thing is Erie county allows the judge to keep it there for up 2 3 mths Ive heard. im coming up on my 6th month so heres hopeing.

Just curious as to what the other two counties are that are close to you. Did they have any restrictions put on the permits they were issued?

Moving Back to NY

I was just curious as we are moving back to NY,Woming county to be exact. I was wondering what the wait time is for a new permit.
I currently have a CCP from here in Va.and just wanted to know how hard it is to get one in Wyoming County, does anyone have any information?
Also by having a CCP carry any weight as to shortening the wait time for said permit? Do I also have to ship my pistols through a FFL dealer to be leagal bringing them into the state or do I just bring them an become a non convicted felon? Any thoughts or ideas?

In NY, all your pistols must be listed on your permit by make, calibre, serial number, and model. I think it would be pretty risky to try to bring them into NY without first having your NY permit with them all listed on it. I don't think already having a ccw from another state would shorten the time to get one in NY since NY would still be running all the same background checks, reference checks etc. It isn't really a 'waiting period' so much as it is just getting the application through all the hoops and over all the hurdles.

Last edited:
Also by having a CCP carry any weight as to shortening the wait time for said permit? Do I also have to ship my pistols through a FFL dealer to be leagal bringing them into the state or do I just bring them an become a non convicted felon? Any thoughts or ideas?

Your VA permit will do nothing to expedite your NY permit unfortunately. And yes, you will have to transfer your pistols to an FFL. I'm pretty sure the clerk's office will require receipt of transfer from the FFL for you to collect your permit so I don't think 'illegally' bringing them up will work.

Fortunately Wyoming county is one of the easier counties in WNY, call the sheriffs office there and they can steer you right. As far as the FFL goes, there are a bunch of smaller guys in the area that will transfer arms for ya, for a reasonable price.

Wyoming County??

Do you know if they issue permits without restrictions? What kind of time frame am I looking at for a reply?
Thanks

:biggrin: i finally got my permit!!! only target/hunting but i got it. already got money down on my new Ruger P345. cant wait to get it. unfortunately i wanted to get a serpia holster for it but they don't make one for it. however ive heard that the xd serpia fits pretty good for it. so im excitied. good luck to everyone on ur permits.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back