Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

I was just curious as we are moving back to NY,Woming county to be exact. I was wondering what the wait time is for a new permit.
I currently have a CCP from here in Va.and just wanted to know how hard it is to get one in Wyoming County, does anyone have any information?
Also by having a CCP carry any weight as to shortening the wait time for said permit? Do I also have to ship my pistols through a FFL dealer to be leagal bringing them into the state or do I just bring them an become a non convicted felon? Any thoughts or ideas?

Wyoming county is a much shorter wait than Erie county. I had a friend have his processed from beginning to end in less than a week, this was about two years ago.

Like you I moved back to WNY from out of state (NC). I also had an unrestricted permit in NC, this of course did nothing to expedite the process in NY, and yes, I did have all my pistols transferred from an FFL in NC, to an FFL in NY where the pistols were temporarily put onto a family members permit for safe keeping while I waited the 8 months or so ( i live in Erie county) for my permit to be processed. If this hadn't been done, I would have had a hard time putting my pistols on my permit, as there needs to be a proof of sale, or a history behind the serial number..... or something when you add a gun to your permit. IE you couldn't buy a gun off the street and then put it on your permit (not that you would want to, but you get the point).

Do you know if they issue permits without restrictions? What kind of time frame am I looking at for a reply?
Thanks

Depends what county you live in, and the judge that is doing permits at the time. If you live outside of erie county (Cattaragaus, Wyoming, etc...) your chances of easily getting an unrestricted permit are much higher.

In Erie county, it is rare / difficult to get an unrestricted permit right off the bat, unless you have a "need" for it. I know of a handful of people who have waited a few years and then gone back and had the restrictions removed from their permit with success.

Some have cited that after X number of years without an incident they have proven that they are competent enough to have the restrictions removed etc.... I also know of one individual who is a DR. who cited being approached while leaving some of the urban hospitals for narcotics several times that he felt the need to have his restrictions removed, and they were.

It also depends on the judge. Several years ago, when Penny Wolfgang was the judge in charge of pistol permits, here philosophy was that since the NYS code doesn't have restrictions listed under the pistol permit section (look it up, it doesn't), that the county shouldn't impose restrictions, therefore all Erie county permits she issued were unrestricted (lucky folks who had her preside over their permits!).

May already know the answer but gen in ec it will take 10-12 months or longer as they are exp. a overload now..you will not hear a thing and then suddenly you will get a call or info back..for me i was new to my town and i was able to get 4 people w/in ec and not just my town, basically just waiting on your dect. to interview and they usually just call your ref..next you could be waiting for the judge..when i applied for my NYS Pistol Dealers License it took me 6-8 mo more just b/c the judge was out of town and felt like taking their time, really can't rush those things..but thats ok b/c it only makes when you get it that much better..hope that helps..ps elmira and other areas are only like a 2 mo wait

I turned in completed paper work Jan. 2. The beginning of June the local police interviewed me and sent it back to the permit office for the final step, judges approval. Still waiting.....I hope it's soon...Trying to be patient...:wacko:

Thanks to all for the information. There weren't many threads on the Interwebs about the Erie County, NY pistol permit application process, but now we have this good one with actual reports from people who completed the process. Thanks again.

I haven't gotten a round tuit for applying for my NYS permit, but I did receive my Utah non-resident permit about 60 business days after application.

I also saw the Erie County Clerk's page for pistol permits has been updated recently and has more forms and information than it used to have: Link Removed

I turned in completed paper work Jan. 2. The beginning of June the local police interviewed me and sent it back to the permit office for the final step, judges approval. Still waiting.....I hope it's soon...Trying to be patient...:wacko:

Received my permit approval July 27. Now have to purchase my pistol, get receipt, turn in approval with receipt and wait another month or 2 and I'm ready to go!!
I'll let you know how that turns out....:sarcastic:

whats next?

I was just visited by my local PD at home. They interviewed me and then my wife seperately. Then they said that I was approved and I should receive paperwork in approx 2-3 mos. My question is, doesn't a judge make the final decesion...

Approved ?

When you get the paperwork,thats the approval. The police gave their approval but the final comes with the paperwork and that's from the judge.It will take about 2 monthes.As long as there are no problems you are approved. If there was a problem, you will hear back much sooner.

waiting again

My wife and I both bought our pistols and went down town to get them on our permits. The approvals and receipts were turned in at the permit office with a $20 per person fee. Our pictures were taken and were told our permanent permits will show up in the mail in 7 to 8 weeks. At that time we can go pick up our pistols. We are waiting again. I will let you know.....:shout:

From what i have seen it takes from 6 months to 1 year in Erie County to get a Restricted Permit. Its VERY rare for anyone to get an unrestricted permit on their 1st application. You can apply for several types of permits, Target, Target & hunting, Business , Home only or unrestricted. Typically after 5 year of permit holding you can apply to have your restrictions removed if you have a good reason, and self defense in not a good reason in Erie county. They do not have to issue a permit and can revoke it at any time. We have known people with unrestricted permits who have went to the permit office to add a new gun and had their permits restricted on the spot. They did finally upgrade the old cheap paper permits to a plastic one for an additional $21, it well worth it. One closing note, make sure you follow the directions to a T, like useing only black ink, references in your town if required, no County Sherifs for ref etc. Good luck.

Hello I have a valid NYS Pistol Permit for Erie County
I have been approached by a relative to take two pistols that were registered to my uncle who passed in March 2008
They have been keeping them both in a safe and no one there has any use for them
I am interested in taking them on but wonder what do I need to do to legally transfer/carry them on my current permit?
My Uncle's permit was issued in Ontario County NY
Any suggestions?
Thanks

I know the transfer can be done but I am not sure of the process. You may need a notarized letter from the current owner with serial nos etc stating they are transferring the ownership to you. They will also need a letter from you to the county of original issue so they can remove the guns from the deceased persons permit.

You should call downtown to the Eric county Permit office and get the exact procedure, so you dont get screwed on some techanical mistake. I dont think its that big of a deal if you follow their instructions. Good Luck!

I went to the Eric County Pistol permit web site and they do have the fomrs needed on their for down loading. The are in .PDF format so you can print them out. It looks to be an easy process . Give it a try, Good Luck.

I went to the Eric County Pistol permit web site and they do have the fomrs needed on their for down loading. They are in .PDF format so you can print them out. It looks to be an easy process . Give it a try, Good Luck.

When my oldest brother past his pistol was turned over to the local police and my other brother got a slip from them to take down town. Thats how he got it on his.

Thanks...Apraisals?

I went to the Eric County Pistol permit web site and they do have the fomrs needed on their for down loading. They are in .PDF format so you can print them out. It looks to be an easy process . Give it a try, Good Luck.

Thanks for the information on the Pistol Permit website and the forms available that can be found there
Does anyone know of someone who can appraise a pistol in Erie County
One of the pistos I may inherit is a Radom, Polish made WWII My uncle took it off a NAZI during WWII

You can try to look it up on line or take it to a shop you trust after you get it on your paper. Some of the shop s may try to low ball you around here. Good Luck.

New York CCW

For many years the upstate counties pistol permits were unrestricted and lifetime.It seems that more are going the same route like Nasau & Suffolk county with restrictions.
From what i have seen it takes from 6 months to 1 year in Erie County to get a Restricted Permit. Its VERY rare for anyone to get an unrestricted permit on their 1st application. You can apply for several types of permits, Target, Target & hunting, Business , Home only or unrestricted. Typically after 5 year of permit holding you can apply to have your restrictions removed if you have a good reason, and self defense in not a good reason in Erie county. They do not have to issue a permit and can revoke it at any time. We have known people with unrestricted permits who have went to the permit office to add a new gun and had their permits restricted on the spot. They did finally upgrade the old cheap paper permits to a plastic one for an additional $21, it well worth it. One closing note, make sure you follow the directions to a T, like useing only black ink, references in your town if required, no County Sherifs for ref etc. Good luck.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back