Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Most counties won't allow law enforcement officers to sign a character referance.If any of your ref's have a criminal past that is just a way for them to deny you a permit or require a new character referance.Best bet find a good referance who also has a handgun permit.It helps if the county you live in is pro gun.

I applied for mine in the early 90's. fingerprints, ref: from Sherrif's, Judge, and 2 long time friends.
Waited for over 1 year. NYS lost it!

In the south, 8hr.class, $150 bucks, 90day wait. Priceless!!!!

Just an update on my process..
submitted application May 15th 09, live in Cheektowaga, NY....called November 12th to see the status of my application and the lady told me it was sent to the FBI in August and hasn't been sent back yet....she said it takes 8 months to a year and to give it a few more months before my references get contacted....so I'm guessing/hoping it shouldn't be to much longer before the next step of the process....I'll update again in a few months...

Got the letter, How long now?

I was approved for hunting and target, and have taken my pistol receipt downtown, ERIE CO. How long for the actual card to come so I can pick up my new family member :pleasantry:

CCW permit application in Erie county

Submitted my permit application to EC pistol permit bureau in mid April '09, fingerprinted in Orchard Park 1 week later.

My references were mailed a questionaire by OP PD about 10/26/09 and I was called for a phone interview on November 8th by OP PD.

Anyone know the process and time frame from this point on before getting my permit?

Well at this point, I turned my application in Dec 08, references were checked in August and Sept and called last week and was told the judge has it and should be a few more weeks.

My completed application was submitted in October of 2008. The reference check was not sent to my local police department until Februray of 2009. the detective in charged didn't do the reference check until October of 2009.

I called the Pistol Permit office the other day to check on the status and was told "you'll get a letter in a week or two with directions."

As I understand it I'll have a set number of days to purchase a firearm, then I have to submit the receipt and get it registered on my permit, then I have to wait another 6 to 8 weeks to get the actual permit to be able to pick up the gun.

How does it work for a subsequent firearm - same 6 to 8 week wait after purchasiing it,or is the process different?

Permit application on line

Hey folks I have been a permit holder since 1989 Non restricted since 1990. Here is the link to the application sans fingerprint cards but you don't need them until you go with your completed application back to Permit office with the completed application for review.
Link Removed
And for folks with problems getting references join a local town based club firearms or not. Gun friendly people can be spotted we gravitate towards one and other. So much the better if you are in a club that has local PD members who can get to know you.They may not be able to sign a reference but they might put a word in for you or even help you out

additional firearm

My completed application was submitted in October of 2008. The reference check was not sent to my local police department until Februray of 2009. the detective in charged didn't do the reference check until October of 2009.

I called the Pistol Permit office the other day to check on the status and was told "you'll get a letter in a week or two with directions."

As I understand it I'll have a set number of days to purchase a firearm, then I have to submit the receipt and get it registered on my permit, then I have to wait another 6 to 8 weeks to get the actual permit to be able to pick up the gun.

How does it work for a subsequent firearm - same 6 to 8 week wait after purchasiing it,or is the process different?

You should get a NIC check receipt and it is good for five years you would be able to pick up your gun as soon as you go to permit office pay your fee and have it put on your permit which if you make it from the gun store to permit office could be the same day!

Well, I just got my "congratualtions" letter today - now I have 60 days to get my first handgun.

I'm planning on getting a 22 for target shooting. I'm assuming the permit will be for target and hunting, although the letter says nothing about retrictions. They should put it in the letter. If for sone reason I was restricted to home defense I'd buy a home defense weapon rather than a 22 for target shooting.

ya know its sucha crock, back ground check, fringer print check, this and that.. , . my wife just had a back ground check a week ago for her real estate lin. , all that they needed was her s.s. ###
6-8 months, that a life time. they claim there short of help and backed up all the time, 25 yrs ago it was the same way, so its not the economy, just a lazy bunch, :angry:
I can see it takin a month or two but 6 months in today world.

ny take's forever to do anything, just another way to stall thehonest citizen, 6-8 months, today things are done with the push of a button on the computer..:yu:
I'd move out of that citizen robbing state and never look back. with that half blind gov.and his cronnies, you may never see a permit.

go to a gun shop and try and buy ammo for your HAND GUN, you will get mad.

up there they try and control everyone ?????

I applied for mine in the early 90's. fingerprints, ref: from Sherrif's, Judge, and 2 long time friends.
Waited for over 1 year. NYS lost it!

In the south, 8hr.class, $150 bucks, 90day wait. Priceless!!!!

AND YOU DON'T REGISTER YOUR GUNS ON THE PERMIT.
and you conceal carry. and can have as many as you want..buy your hand gun, fill out the proper SLED papers and take it home. NO BULL

From what I've read, Vermont has no required permits or applications for concealed carry by either residents or non-residents.

I was in Gander Mountain around 8 pm on Thanksgiving. There were a 6 or 7 other people waiting to be served ahead of me at the gun counter. Then they announced that they could sell guns on "layaway" but couldn’t process anymore paperwork that night.

I bought the S&W 22A with bull barrel for $230 and received $60 in gander mountain gift cards, which is as good as cash to me - 2 of my 4 children are outdoor enthusiasts so that money will be spent well before xmas. (I was only supposed to receive $40 of gift cards but they gave me an extra $20 for having to come back the next day to get the paperwork done.) For a net cost of $170 I think it'll be a good first handgun for target practice and squirrel hunting.

On Friday I returned to complete the paperwork, and then took it to the clerk's office. They said it would be 8 to 10 weeks before I received the permit in the mail. If it takes that long, then the entire process from the day I picked up the application until the day I actually can pick up my first handgun will be about 16 months.

Hello Carry Members!

I figured I would add my current "story" to the list, and update it as it continues to unfold.

I am in Erie county, Amherst specifically. I applied January 13th, 2009... and I am STILL waiting. My paperwork was done well before January 13th, and I am still kicking myself in the @$$ for not getting it downtown sooner.

I am small business owner who regularly deals in large sums of cash, as well as exotic vehicles worth more than enough to justify car-jacking and smuggling one out of the country. I also have a 24hr emergency services, where I will "deal" with a customer's car if need be, whether it be minor service, accidents, dealing with police/towing if the owner has to go to the hospital, etc. This can leave me pretty open to being at the wrong place, at the wrong time... with plenty to steal. This, along with the fact that our warehouse is located in a pitch black industrial park, less than 1000ft from where there was a murder less than 10 months ago, *should* be plenty enough reason to acquire a Concealed Carry, or at minimum Business Protection in Erie County. I applied for all of the above, as well as target/hunting. I am no newbie to the firearm scene, I have been shooting for about 15 years.

As you can see, its a good thing I have had good luck so far... because Erie County sure doesn't seem to care about me being safer in any reasonable amount of time. I am going on 11 months now, and my references were JUST contacted last week. If it were not for the fact that I recently found out that the father of one of the ladies I went to school with was the Captain of Amherst PD, it is a sure thing that my references would not have even been contacted yet. I have been keeping tabs on the process, and the FBI had my background check done, and in the hands of the APD by June... and it sat there ever since collecting dust, until I had some help digging it out of the pile.

I will update more as I find out, perhaps some others can update their finding as well...?

Hello Carry Members!

I figured I would add my current "story" to the list, and update it as it continues to unfold.

I am in Erie county, Amherst specifically. I applied January 13th, 2009... and I am STILL waiting. My paperwork was done well before January 13th, and I am still kicking myself in the @$$ for not getting it downtown sooner.

I am small business owner who regularly deals in large sums of cash, as well as exotic vehicles worth more than enough to justify car-jacking and smuggling one out of the country. I also have a 24hr emergency services, where I will "deal" with a customer's car if need be, whether it be minor service, accidents, dealing with police/towing if the owner has to go to the hospital, etc. This can leave me pretty open to being at the wrong place, at the wrong time... with plenty to steal. This, along with the fact that our warehouse is located in a pitch black industrial park, less than 1000ft from where there was a murder less than 10 months ago, *should* be plenty enough reason to acquire a Concealed Carry, or at minimum Business Protection in Erie County. I applied for all of the above, as well as target/hunting. I am no newbie to the firearm scene, I have been shooting for about 15 years.

As you can see, its a good thing I have had good luck so far... because Erie County sure doesn't seem to care about me being safer in any reasonable amount of time. I am going on 11 months now, and my references were JUST contacted last week. If it were not for the fact that I recently found out that the father of one of the ladies I went to school with was the Captain of Amherst PD, it is a sure thing that my references would not have even been contacted yet. I have been keeping tabs on the process, and the FBI had my background check done, and in the hands of the APD by June... and it sat there ever since collecting dust, until I had some help digging it out of the pile.

I will update more as I find out, perhaps some others can update their finding as well...?

I got my application moving by calling APD myself and inquiring about it, then asking my references to call the detective (I won't mention his name but there is only one) and leave messages with their cell phone numbers.

The detective was nice enough to call me and let me know when he had completed the paperwork. But he only goes downtown ever 2 or 3 weeks to deliver the files.

Then you have to wait for the judge to review and approve the permit. Next, you get a letter congratulating you on your gun permit with instructions. You have just 60 days to purchase a gun or co-register one.

The letter doesn’t say anything about restrictions, so you’ll have to wait until you get your actual permit to know if there are any restrictions or ask the clerk if they can check on it when you bring the bill of sale to get your actual permit.

If you buy a gun, you have to pay for it in full, then take the bill of sale to the clerk's office to get your actual permit. You can't pick up the gun from the clerk's office until after you receive the actual permit in the mail, which I was told would take another 8 to 10 weeks.

The NY Application process has been getting slower and slower. Partly because of the huge increase in the number of applications being submitted, Partly because they, the powers that be in NY are trying to keep the process as complex and annoying as possible. So slowing down the paperwork is just another power-play. Keep calling and asking what up with your stuff. When I got mine, I called at least once a month to check on the progress.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back