Do you pay attention to the signs? Follow the law?

Timothy2001

I was in a Doctors office this morning with my LCP in my back pocket and noticed the lawful sign prohibiting firearms. I thought about it a long time before going back out to my car and locking it up.

Just because the establishment has a sign doesn't make it any less likely that nutcase will walk in and start shooting up the place/ex-wife/former employer etc.

In Texas it's unlawful to carry concealed in a bar (51% rule), a number of other places or anywhere that displays a proper sign.

I often carry anyway but for some reason this time I took it back outside.

How many of you respect those laws in your state?

Well lets see - a person carrying a gun in a place where it is illegal (criminal) to do so to protect themselves from criminals..... kind of ironic, eh?

In my state, Colorado, signs do not necessarily have the weight of law. But if you are noted in a signed establishment carrying you may be asked to leave which if you refuse to do can be charged with criminal trespass. Just carrying into a signed place does not make you a criminal. Refusing to leave if asked makes you a bad guy.

Here in NC the signs do have the weight of law. The solution's simple. I refuse to go into those establishments.

In my state, Colorado, signs do not necessarily have the weight of law. But if you are noted in a signed establishment carrying you may be asked to leave which if you refuse to do can be charged with criminal trespass. Just carrying into a signed place does not make you a criminal. Refusing to leave if asked makes you a bad guy.
Same applies in Florida, private establisments.

Yes I do, and I do not disrespect private property owners rights. Lucky for me, there are only a couple of gun buster signs in my entire town so I have no problem avoiding such places.

Yes, you must respect other's rights, otherwise you are breaking the law.

Besides, doing so anyway may cause you to lose your ccw license. It's just not worth it IMHO.

A word to the wise: It's not a good idea to admit you are breaking the law on ANY forum.

I am happy to say I leave in a great state ( Washington) and if you have a CWP those signs dont mean much. Our state says where we cant take guns not citys, towns ect.
If you get cought on private property they can ask you to leave. I am not trying to start a comversation here. I know I could be more specific but I just want to say what I said.

I am happy to say I leave in a great state ( Washington) and if you have a CWP those signs dont mean much.

The only difference where your CPL (Concealed Pistol License) makes any difference is if the no guns sign is posted on a convention center or stadium operated by a city or other municipality or around the outdoor portion of the premises of a school. Then the sign is a legal prohibition of firearms UNLESS the person carrying the gun has a CPL.

On private property, however, in Washington, a no guns sign does not create a legal prohibition of firearms whether or not the person carrying the gun has a CPL or not.

I recognize the laws in Kentucky. If I'm carrying and they notice it and they ask me to leave, I will leave.

I don't understand the whole, "respect others property rights" argument though. How does me safely carrying a firearm infringe on their rights?

Federal signs....yes (usually). State signs....maybe (depends). Local business or other...absolutely not (in general). The way I look at it is they only way anyone is gonna find out I am strapped is if I (God forbid) have to use it. Then, the point is mute.

In CT there are few restrictions and open carry is legal (although not recommended). No law against bars either (I never drink when I carry under advice of a good friend who is a state cop).

I'll face the judge before I face my maker any day...

Federal signs....yes (usually). State signs....maybe (depends). Local business or other...absolutely not (in general). The way I look at it is they only way anyone is gonna find out I am strapped is if I (God forbid) have to use it. Then, the point is mute.

In CT there are few restrictions and open carry is legal (although not recommended). No law against bars either (I never drink when I carry under advice of a good friend who is a state cop).

Right there with you wigman.

Oh, and to those who offered the advice of not posting that I am breaking the law I also tend to exceed the speed limit when I drive. Now maybe Big Brother will come knocking on my door after posting this but I will roll the dice and bet they won't.

I am reasonably certain that anyone trolling this or any other forum for 'lawbreakers' will pass me over for bigger fish but thank you for your concern.

Have a fantastic day. :yes4:

Just curious, why and who is saying open carry is not recommended in CT?

I don't understand the whole, "respect others property rights" argument though. How does me safely carrying a firearm infringe on their rights?

Would you allow a stranger to come into your home with a firearm? Does that shed more light on respecting the property owners wishes?

"Would you allow a stranger to come into your home with a firearm?"

Yes, if he/she had a CHL.

In Texas, the Legislature made the infamous "30.06" sign the sign to display if you don't want CHL holder in your establishment, ignoring that sign may get one charged with criminal trespass by a license holder.

"Would you allow a stranger to come into your home with a firearm?"

Yes, if he/she had a CHL.

In Texas, the Legislature made the infamous "30.06" sign the sign to display if you don't want CHL holder in your establishment, ignoring that sign may get one charged with criminal trespass by a license holder.

So in a state that has no permit, you wouldn't allow them to carry into your home? I don't need a permit to open carry, would you let me in your home not knowing who I was?

i was at the dentist last month didn't see a sign and carried whilst having my dental work done no one noticed and all was well......i haven't seen any signs yet in florida prohibiting firearms the only buildings i haven't carried is the post office and courthouse but that's the law is why i didn't as i wouldn't want to risk losing my ccwp but really the court should have a place for folks to store their weapons as it is in a shady part of town with the jail right across the street and i have to go there for some hateful ***** trying to sue me and i'd like to take the city bus so i don't have to pay so much to park the cheapest rate is 15 dollars for the day around those parts geesh and i'm not to hip on taking a city bus anywhere but i might just do that because of the parking and still have to walk a mile down to the courthouse .....so i'm still deciding how i'm going to get there and back without paying some ridiculous parking fee

Would you allow a stranger to come into your home with a firearm? Does that shed more light on respecting the property owners wishes?

A home and a business are two different entities. In a business, strangers that I have never seen before are expected to come through the door. At my home, not so much. So, to answer your exact question of allowing strangers in my home....

1. Someone comes to the door that I don't know and I did not invite them in some way....they are 99% chance not coming in carrying a firearm or not. And they are 100% not coming in if they are wearing a badge and a uniform.

2. Stranger comes to my door for a reason I know about - such as to buy something I have offered for sale - repairman to fix something I have called for:
a. If they are concealed carrying, how would I know, unless I frisked them? And I am not going to frisk them.
b. If they are open carrying, yes, they can come in with their firearm, no problem.

3. I own and operate the business? 100% firearms welcomed, concealed or openly carried.

The question was posed about how the person was violating their property rights. I figure if the person posted a sign on their property that my gun is not welcome, that is their right. I will take my money (my voting rights as to their business future existence) elsewhere every time I get the chance.

Criminal Protection Zone signs do not mean a thing legally in Iowa, so I just carry on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back