Do they give my gun back?

I've never heard of form 4473... I just bought a gun and on my way... how does it work? Do you send the form in and wait to see what happens?
Also I thought the NICS check was done when you went through process for your permit

I've never heard of form 4473... I just bought a gun and on my way... how does it work? Do you send the form in and wait to see what happens?
Also I thought the NICS check was done when you went through process for your permit

Every firearm transferred by an FFL(commonly known as a dealer or collector) to a person who does not hold an FFL must be recorded on a form 4473 whether or not a NICS check is required. The form 4473 is kept at the dealer's place of business and is subject to ATF inspection. When the dealer goes out of business, all of their form 4473s are shipped to the ATF for storage. If a dealer is found to have transferred firearms without a form 4473 they will be fined, possibly lose their license, and possibly serve prison time. In only a few states the concealed carry permit will fulfill the requirements of the NICS check if the permit meets the requirements in Federal regulations.

If you just bought a gun from a dealer (FFL), you had to fill out a Form 4473 (that's the BATFE website link to a .pdf of the form that if you look at, it might jog your memory). If you bought (or buy in the future) from a private party, no NICS and/or 4473 is necessary, except in a handful of states that have gone completely bonkers in response to the bonkers gunman of Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT a couple of years ago. Since I don't live in such a bonkers-law for a bonkers-gunman type of state, and never will again, nor will I visit/patronize with tourist dollars, I don't know whether those states require one or both of those papers/procedures be completed in all private party transfers, but I do know some require at least one.

Blues

If you just bought a gun from a dealer (FFL), you had to fill out a Form 4473 (that's the BATFE website link to a .pdf of the form that if you look at, it might jog your memory). If you bought (or buy in the future) from a private party, no NICS and/or 4473 is necessary, except in a handful of states that have gone completely bonkers in response to the bonkers gunman of Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT a couple of years ago. Since I don't live in such a bonkers-law for a bonkers-gunman type of state, and never will again, nor will I visit/patronize with tourist dollars, I don't know whether those states require one or both of those papers/procedures be completed in all private party transfers, but I do know some require at least one.

Blues
Ok I do remember this form now after looking at it..

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back