Do they give my gun back?

All I am asking for is PROOF that the "general consensus" is true in real life. Something nobody has been able to provide. Just because an opinion is the "general consensus" does not mean that opinion is true in real life.

I would only add that A is A.

All I am asking for is PROOF that the "general consensus" is true in real life. Something nobody has been able to provide. Just because an opinion is the "general consensus" does not mean that opinion is true in real life.

You're asking for proof that's impossible to provide because all the data isn't available.

Even if I can't do the math, I look at the name instructors (Massad Ayoob, Rob Pincus, Tom Givens, Paul Gomez) and they all say the same thing; based their experience if you fire a round in a self defense situation you can expect to incur substantial legal fees. I'm willing to take their word for it.

I'd much rather prepare for the worst case and be wrong than not prepare at all and be wrong

That's what I'm going to do... There are a lot of reliable firearms out there that I could carry a lot cheaper... and its not all about the price of the weapon. I love the gun and I don't want someone to take it from me just because they can by law.

I don't know enough about this stuff to give advice- but my opinion on the other hand: this is sad! Is this what our perception of the judicial system has come to- that some have started to consider leaving their beautiful $600 pistol at home- and opting for carrying something else instead-

Get a hi point and let them take that. Just make sure it is the same gun you shot the bad guy with. More than likely they will take the gun for ballistics testing.

Part of the fun of owning a quality beauty is knowing she is at your side (or in your purse)- I hope i won't have to ever find out the hard way- the extent of how often these conceptions are proven to be correct.

And in terms of a time line- my bf is a LEO (hey! don't shoot me for it! hehe) - & unfortunately- he shot and killed a criminal (guy was shooting at the cops- they all shot back)- gun didn't come back from ballistics for about 6-9 months.

And in terms of a time line- my bf is a LEO (hey! don't shoot me for it! hehe) - & unfortunately- he shot and killed a criminal (guy was shooting at the cops- they all shot back)- gun didn't come back from ballistics for about 6-9 months.

This wouldn't be an normal example because several guns were being tested

You're asking for proof that's impossible to provide because all the data isn't available.

Even if I can't do the math, I look at the name instructors (Massad Ayoob, Rob Pincus, Tom Givens, Paul Gomez) and they all say the same thing; based their experience if you fire a round in a self defense situation you can expect to incur substantial legal fees. I'm willing to take their word for it.

I'd much rather prepare for the worst case and be wrong than not prepare at all and be wrong

People used to believe the experts that said the earth was flat without proof so they wouldn't sail too far on the ocean for fear of falling off the edge of the earth. Until someone can show me more than 1 or 2 cases per year of people spending thousands of dollars in self-defense defense, it's not something I am going to worry about, especially in Washington state. I'm not one known to go with the "general consensus" anyway, though.

People used to believe the experts that said the earth was flat without proof so they wouldn't sail too far on the ocean for fear of falling off the edge of the earth.

You know that's an old wives' tale right? C'mon dude of all the people that should know that sailors have always known the world was round (and had it proved to them every time the raised land) you'd think a Navy guy would be the one.

Until someone can show me more than 1 or 2 cases per year of people spending thousands of dollars in self-defense defense, it's not something I am going to worry about, especially in Washington state. I'm not one known to go with the "general consensus" anyway, though.

That's your prerogative. I don't spend a lot of time "worrying" about it either but it is something I consider

No matter if there are legal fees or not if you have to defend yourself you have to do what you have to do. You can't control that. I don't worry about that as much. But if I buy an expensive gun that I love and cherish and not able to get it back, it's a different issue. You don't have to shoot someone to be in that situation. If someone steals your gun and kills someone it can be confiscated.

Yep, you can bet that the righteous shoots done in SD may make the local news. But, very few good shoots make it further than that.

-

Not entirely true, although it seems that way. This web site collects all the instances of self defense that it can find in which a gun was used and reports them by state. It's probably not totally complete, but I think it comes as close as possible.

Link Removed

In a word your gun may or may not be confiscated as evidence.

From my personal experience (self-defense shooting 25 years ago), the shotgun was taken as evidence and not returned until the trial and conviction of the criminal involved. It took well over a year. Fortunately for me, no charges, no lawyers, no legal fees. But I did find out 20 years after the fact that criminal charges were being discussed against me as an option.

update- I thought he had gotten his service pistol back- but actually he's just carry a different but same service pistol. Been in ballistics for almost a year- and the case has already been deemed a good shooting a long time ago. but as Eldolon say- theres the extra variable of multiple service pistols being used.

i asked the bf if the pistol always get taken when a civilian is in a shooting- (and he said that the police dept has the power to see that there are no charges pressed- that its not up to the prosecutor- unless there is an absolute disagreement)- and he said yes- always always always- it gets taken to ballistics. But thats speaking for our city's police dept.

update- I thought he had gotten his service pistol back- but actually he's just carry a different but same service pistol. Been in ballistics for almost a year- and the case has already been deemed a good shooting a long time ago. but as Eldolon say- theres the extra variable of multiple service pistols being used.

i asked the bf if the pistol always get taken when a civilian is in a shooting- (and he said that the police dept has the power to see that there are no charges pressed- that its not up to the prosecutor- unless there is an absolute disagreement)- and he said yes- always always always- it gets taken to ballistics. But thats speaking for our city's police dept.
Did he have to buy another gun or did the department issue him the same weapon?

General consensus is that if you ever are involved in a SD shooting the 600$ you paid for your gun will be a drop in the bucket compared to your legal fees

Certainly depends on the state. In the toilet states, where you do as your dictator governor tells you to do and you are a big bad boy for even having a firearm--who the heck knows. In SC a good SD shoot comes with immunity from any and all civil suits. That does not change the fact that someone can still sue you regardless--but you have SC prosecutor on your side and frivolous lawsuits are not especially welcome. I do not, however, have any personal knowledge of a good SD shoot that either did or did not incur any or excessive legal fees.

This is going to start a fight

This is purely speculation on my part but I think it’s quite possible that the reason so many instructors teach you to expect legal fees is because there are a lot of dumbass gun owners out there who don’t know the laws.

Case in point; my home state legally views your car as an extension of your home meaning that you can defend yourself in the car exactly as you would in your home. I had a neighbor tell me the other night that this means that if he walks out on his front porch and sees someone breaking into his car he’s legal to shoot them just as he would be if they were breaking into his home ( remember we’re talking about what legally is not what should be).

I think it’s safe to assume that sooner or later this idiot is going to draw his gun and incur some legal fees

This is going to start a fight

I don't see why that particular post would start a fight. I doubt there are very many people, myself included, who would disagree with it. Another case in point:

On Saturday my wife, my daughter and I were in our local public library. I was open carry as usual. I don't know what it was but it seemed like there was a large percentage of challenged adults and kids there that day. One older guy who was not challenged, but appeared to be under the influence of something started loudly accussing one of the challenged adults of "messing with his 'stuff' " although he used the other word. The older guy was making very agressive moves towards the challenged guy and the challenged guy was saying it was a mistake, he wasn't going through his 'stuff'. The loud altercation continued for about 10 minutes and at one point the older guy physically shoved the challenged guy. I was at a table with my daughter and my wife was somewhere else. I just watched everything very closely and made no move to get involved.

I explained to my daughter that, especially because I am carrying a gun, that I do not get involved in such things until it becomes evident that someone would be getting seriously injured and only then, and since I had witnessed the altercation from the very beginning would I intervene. The library manager on duty eventually ended up breaking it up.

I can see some people carrying a gun, though, that would step in, probably with gun drawn, as soon as the older guy shoved the challenged guy. I can also almost guarantee that the older guy - a hothead under the influence of something - would probably have responded by escalating the situation more than likely to the point of having to shoot and I can certainly see that situation possibly resulting in an expensive defense.

Doesn't everyone have to fill out 4473 aka nics? It's just the standard background check a business is required to conduct. Ie. I go to cabelas. Pick out my gun. Do the form and in minutes I'm done and in car with new pistol.

Doesn't everyone have to fill out 4473 aka nics? It's just the standard background check a business is required to conduct. Ie. I go to cabelas. Pick out my gun. Do the form and in minutes I'm done and in car with new pistol.

Depends on state law. Federal law only requires the form 4473 and NICS checks for firearms obtained from an FFL. Since police departments are not FFLs, Federal law does not require the form 4473 or NICS check for them to transfer a firearm to a same state resident. In the case of Colorado, it is state law that is the issue.

I've never heard of form 4473... I just bought a gun and on my way... how does it work? Do you send the form in and wait to see what happens?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back