Do Not - I Repeat - Do NOT Answer Census Questions!

Now that I think about it I can't remember ever doing any census paper work.Or answering any questions so why start now.

Hello All!
I'm new to the forum. It's funny, but I was searching for info about not answering intrusive census questions, and I got a hit on this forum. I've been carrying concealed in Washington State since I turned 21 in 1975. I'm sure I'll enjoy the forum.

I seem to recall reading that there have been a grand total of two prosecutions/fines of any sort since sometime in the 1960's. So it's not likely you'll get nailed for refusing to answer your census.
In our case, my fiance has been sent the form twice.
She sent it in once, with only the number of people answered.
She's been visited by a worker; she told that woman the same thing -- no answers except how many live here and how old.
She was just called, she believes by the same person. That person told her she could be legally liable for all sorts of fines if she didn't answer the long form. She asked for the relevant legal info to be sent, so her boss (she's a Legal Assistant and her boss is a pretty good lawyer) could look at them.
From what I can ascertain so far, it's better not to answer -- $100 fine possible but it's not going to happen -- than to mess with them and give false answers -- $500 fine possible.

Frankly, I still wonder if that census taker in Kentucky really was a suicide, of if that's the Official Story. We'll never know.

Ky. Census worker

Just about scared the crap outta me when I first heard about the Ky. census worker found dead. I had just had several visits to my home from one, and my husband refused to answer his questions and told him what he could do with his census. I finally filled it out with minimum information so they would leave me alone .

Y'know, I always believed it advantageous to fill out the form. Lately, I'm wondering why they want certain information. What does my name, phone number, or if I own or rent, or my race or heritage, have to do with giving my area any kind of benefits?

Title 13

Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.

(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500. (c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.

Link Removed

Y'know, I always believed it advantageous to fill out the form. Lately, I'm wondering why they want certain information. What does my name, phone number, or if I own or rent, or my race or heritage, have to do with giving my area any kind of benefits?

Title 13

Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.

(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500. (c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.

Link Removed

You come across as a Jail-house-lawyer ..... you like to be in control of others don't you, bossy are you not ?

If they knock on my door I tell them to leave or I will call the police for tresspassing.

if they mail me something I will burn it.

What I do in my house is none of there Bid-ness.

None of this appears to be law and if I don't want to answer this stuff I don't have too, I am bound by one LAW and that GOD's law.

If they catch up to me I will gladly say fine me the $100 bucks (and get out) , give me an address to send the $$$ too, right now I can afford to send you .25 cents a month.

You come across as a Jail-house-lawyer ..... you like to be in control of others don't you, bossy are you not ?

If they knock on my door I tell them to leave or I will call the police for tresspassing.

if they mail me something I will burn it.

What I do in my house is none of there Bid-ness.

None of this appears to be law and if I don't want to answer this stuff I don't have too, I am bound by one LAW and that GOD's law.

If they catch up to me I will gladly say fine me the $100 bucks (and get out) , give me an address to send the $$$ too, right now I can afford to send you .25 cents a month.

WTF? I'm telling you what to do? NOT!!! Newbie troll alert! Ignore button -- CLICK!

I don't plan on giving anythink but the bare needs ! I shred every piece of mail with ANY INFRO I for sure am not given it to a complete stranger!::

Only first question in Census is Constitutional

Article I Section 2 of the Constitution states "Enumeration" only. That means that the first question in the Census is the only Constitutional one.

Apparently in Australia...

Apparently in Australia...60,000 plus folks answered the religion question on he census form "JEDI" as a protest answer. Snopes says it is false but i think it is funny as hell.

Could prove useful here as well. They have to write it down...
YouTube- Jedi Census

Jedi 'religion' grows in Australia
Sir Alec Guinness as Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi
Jedi is the faith espoused in the Star Wars films
More than 70,000 people in Australia have declared that they are followers of the Jedi faith, the religion created by the Star Wars films.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2218456.stm
A recent census found that one in 270 respondents - or 0.37% of the population - say they believe in "the force", an energy field that gives Jedi Knights like Luke Skywalker their power in the films.

Most of the 70,509 people who wrote Jedi on their census forms were suspected to have done so in response to an e-mail encouraging all Star Wars fans to get it recognised as an official religion.

Yoda, Jedi master
Jedi Master Yoda: "You must feel the force around you"
But the majority do not seriously tell each other: "May the force be with you", according to Australian Star Wars Appreciation Society president Chris Brennan.

"When you look at it you probably have got about 5,000 people in that 70,000 that were true hard-core people that would believe the Jedi religion carte blanche," he told ABC Radio.

"Then you would have 50,000 fans that said 'oh yeah we'll just put down Jedi for fun, we don't actually have a religion of our own'.

"Then you probably have 15,000 people who did it just to give the government a bit of curry," he said.

'Not defined'

An e-mail was sent around the world in 2001 saying that if 10,000 people declared they were Jedi, it would be recognised as an official religion.

But the Australian Bureau of Statistics said it would be categorised as "not defined".

Thousands of people in New Zealand and the UK also followed the advice of the e-mail - with Jedi Knight even being included on the list of religions by UK census authorities.

More JEDI Info

Jokes and Humor - Pranks:Jedi Religion on Census Forms Sites
Jokes and Humor - Pranks:Jedi Religion on Census Forms Sites
Welcome to the gocount.com directory of Pranks:Jedi Religion on Census Forms sites. The sites below contain jokes and humor resources for Pranks:Jedi Religion on Census Forms. You can also check out our main directory of jokes sites which contains additional humor resources. If you have a funny or humorous website that should be added please let us know.

"Some 20,000 Canadians Worship at the Altar of Yoda"
Link Removed
"'An astonishing 20,000 Canadians declared themselves to be followers of the religion of Jedi, the guardians of peace and justice in the Star Wars flicks, Statistics Canada reported Tuesday in the latest, and final, data to come from the 2001 census.' [The Canadian Press] (May 13, 2003)
Telegraph: Jedi Knights force way into census religion list
Link Removed
"Jedi Knights, the galactic order of warriors from the Star Wars films, were celebrating a small victory last night in their campaign to be recognised as an official religion. (October 12, 2001)
icSouthlondon: Jedi census reports not true
icNetwork - Local and regional news, sport, entertainment and classifieds across the UK
"The Office for National Statistics is denying reports that people will be able to tick 'Jedi' as their religion on the next census form. (October 11, 2001)
Plastic: Reality Imitates Art -- 'Jedi Knights' Now Almost-Official Religion in the UK
Link Removed
"Jedi Knight' is on the list of religions for the 2001 UK census. Apparently, sufficient numbers of people wrote it on their census forms that a code for the 'faith' (896) has been allocated for the census processing team to use. (October 11, 2001)
Savannah Now: Britons check off Jedi Knight when asked their religion on census form
Link Removed
"When asked their religious affiliation on the 2001 census forms, many Britons are writing in 'Jedi Knight,' government officials said Wednesday. (October 11, 2001)
Register: Jedi Knights achieve official recognition as a religion
Jedi Knights achieve official recognition as a religion ? The Register
"Jedi Knights have gained official recognition as a religion in the UK Census 2001. By Kieren McCarthy. (October 9, 2001)
Wired: Jedis Stand for the Census Count
"http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,44141,00.html"
"To the frustration of the census managers in New Zealand, England, Wales and Australia, an e-mail saturating inboxes for the past couple of months just refuses to go away. By Kim Griggs. (May 31, 2001)
Register: UK Jedi get green light
UK Jedi get green light ? The Register
"The census form itself confirms that entering a frivolous faith therein will not result in an appearance before the courts. By Lester Haines. (April 23, 2001)
CNet: E-mail stunt empowers Jedi fans
E-mail stunt empowers Jedi fans - CNET News
"Star Wars fans in the United Kingdom are stung by an e-mail suggesting that the forthcoming UK Census would recognize Jedi as a religion if enough people put it on the form. (April 17, 2001)
ZDNet: Star Wars fans stung by Jedi email
"http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2085669,00.html"
"Despite proving that the Internet is a genuinely unifying 'force', email stunt will not work. By Will Knight. (April 17, 2001)
About.com Urban Legends: Star Wars Religion Doesn't Make Census
Star Wars Religion Doesn't Make Census
"Will filling in 'Jedi' as your religion on census forms cause the government to recognize it as a legitimate faith? A three part series of articles by David Emery. (April 16, 2001)
Sunday Times: Jedi knights put their faith in the census
Link Removed
"As the Office for National Statistics prepares to carry out its 10-yearly survey of the population, fans of the Jedi knights of Star Wars fame are hoping to use the census to win formal recognition of their faith. By Edin Hamzic. (April 15, 2001)
Australian IT: Email urges vote 'Jedi' in census
"http://australianit.news.com.au/common/storyPage/0,3811,1887212%5e442,00.html"
"Star Wars fans have mounted an email campaign to encourage people to nominate 'Jedi' as their religion in the upcoming census on August 7. By Caitlin Fitzsimmons. (April 11, 2001)
Register: May the false declaration be with you
May the false declaration be with you ? The Register
"On Sunday 29 April would-be Jedi Knights have a rare opportunity to achieve official recognition for their 'religion'. By Lester Haines. (April 10, 2001)
The Age: Warning on Jedi email campaign
Link Removed
"Thousands of Australians could face big fines if they participate in an email campaign to describe themselves as Jedi Knights on the upcoming official Australian Bureau of Statistics census. (April 5, 2001)

We will be adding additional sites of humor and jokes as they become available. Please also visit the gocount.com jokes on our main page. Thanks from gocount's jokes and humor directory of the best sites on the net.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back