Do Christians Smoke Weed?

As was previously stated, being a Christian does not mean to live without sin. It means to try to live without sin. We all sin, every day.

We are imperfect. Whether smoking weed is a sin is debatable, but do realize it is considered illegal by our government. Heroin was a medicine quite liberally prescribed until the harmful effects were discovered, then it was outlawed. It doesn't necessarily mean everyone that used it are now in hell, just that our government said we can't use it. But a more refined version is still used in the medical field, morphine.

I believe, and I'm no authority on religion, that drinking/smoking/whatever becomes a sin when you live FOR it. I believe its worse to be an alcoholic than to drink and get drunk occassionally, for when your an alcoholic you are not living for Christ, you are living for your alcohol. The same goes for weed, I think its not a damning action unless you live for that next toke.

Again, just my opinion. As Christians we are suppose to live for Christ, we will never be like Christ.

Addiction is a disease that changes the chemical make up of the brain such as in alcoholism and heroin use. Heroin can create addiction after a single use. Would you still deem a disease addiction as a sin even though the individual is living for it because of altered physiology not strictly because of wanting to do it and disregarding god or anyone else for that matter?

Sent from my hand-held mind distractor

Addiction is a disease that changes the chemical make up of the brain such as in alcoholism and heroin use. Heroin can create addiction after a single use. Would you still deem a disease addiction as a sin even though the individual is living for it because of altered physiology not strictly because of wanting to do it and disregarding god or anyone else for that matter?

Speaking as a recovering alcoholic, once I realized that I had the disease it became my choice whether or not to seek treatment. (L.D. 5/13/88)

A person that is honestly ignorant of their condition is innocent, but once they are made aware they become responsible. As a Christian, for me to refuse or avoid treatment would be sinful.

This goes back to the knowledge of good and evil; while we were ignorant of evil we could not sin, but once we gained that knowledge sin was brought into the world.

Sent while walking the narrow road.

I don't mean escape as in tripping/hallucinating, but as in altering one's mood to forget about troubles, de-stress, etc. People have beer or two, or watch TV, etc. in order to relax and manage stress. That's healthy behavior unless it turns into a dependency; instead of taking a break from our troubles we go on an extended vacation without buying a return ticket.

Steak is food ... but then again,people fall into gluttony. God supplied us with a world of stuff for us to enjoy, but our sin nature makes us think up ways to abuse it.
If wine and steak are good in moderation, why not weed? Who decided one was evil and one was not?
-
In the U.S., weed has been illegal for about 40 years. It has grown naturally here since before man figured out about eating it or smoking it. The same clique of people that think they know what's best for you and decided prohibition was a good and moral thing also decided that if weed made you feel good it must be bad for you and for society. They would also illegalize tobacco if they could, but the gub'ment gets too much revenue from the industry and from tobacco users to consider that. It's the same reason they will never try prohibition again.
-
Just because the morality police say something is evil doesn't make it so. I hear rock-and-roll will set you on the path to Hell too.

If wine and steak are good in moderation, why not weed? Who decided one was evil and one was not?
-
In the U.S., weed has been illegal for about 40 years. It has grown naturally here since before man figured out about eating it or smoking it. The same clique of people that think they know what's best for you and decided prohibition was a good and moral thing also decided that if weed made you feel good it must be bad for you and for society. They would also illegalize tobacco if they could, but the gub'ment gets too much revenue from the industry and from tobacco users to consider that. It's the same reason they will never try prohibition again.
-
Just because the morality police say something is evil doesn't make it so. I hear rock-and-roll will set you on the path to Hell too.

First, there's the issue of respect for local authority. The Bible instructs us to obey the law. If we believe the law to be wrong, we need to find lawful ways in which to change it.

Secondly, what is the benefit of smoking weed? Food in moderation is healthy, alcohol can be either medicinal or just a tasty compliment to a meal, but what good is cannabis other than as a medication?

First, there's the issue of respect for local authority. The Bible instructs us to obey the law. If we believe the law to be wrong, we need to find lawful ways in which to change it.
If something is legal in some places and illegal in others, how do you think that applies to the Bible? Are people in Colorado going to hell because it isn't illegal there?
Secondly, what is the benefit of smoking weed? Food in moderation is healthy, alcohol can be either medicinal or just a tasty compliment to a meal, but what good is cannabis other than as a medication? You are inserting your morality. Some think alcohol is a sin. What if I think that weed is just a tasty compliment to a meal?

My mostly Libertarian point of view is that morality is a personal thing, not something to be governed. If you think alcohol, tobacco, weed, bacon or whatever is immoral, then abstain. I do not have any problem with that. What I do have a problem with is some government hack trying to legislate morals to appease some special interest group and decide what is best for me. If you do not harm others by your personal choices, then live and let live.
-
When Colorado legalized for recreational use, there were plenty of news reports about how society would crumble. Didn't see anyone asking about what they would do with all the extra prison space, or if they would be releasing people convicted of what is now legal.

I don't want to get into a big debate, but I will leave you with this to ponder: Government morals say that killing babies for the convenience of the mom is just peachy. I do not trust them do decide what is good or bad, because they ALWAYS have ulterior motives.

Whodat,

The fact is that currently, the government does legislate some of these things. If we want to change the law of the land, then we work *within the law* to make that change.

I don't want to get into a big debate, but I will leave you with this to ponder: Government morals say that killing babies for the convenience of the mom is just peachy. I do not trust them do decide what is good or bad, because they ALWAYS have ulterior motives.

I agree with your point of view on that subject. Again, as I replied to whodat, we work within the law to change what we don't agree with. I am pro-life, so I support groups that advance that point of view, as well as financially supporting organizations that help mothers who chose not to kill their unborn children.

A "disease" that you deliberately buy at the store and pour down your throat. Very interesting.

No, a disease that makes you go to the store/bar/whatever and imbibe a substance that you *know* is going to turn you into a flaming jackwad even though you know that is what will happen.

A "disease" that you deliberately buy at the store and pour down your throat. Very interesting.

Eh, I don't want to get into a huge debate about this, but I will say that my father, and subsequently my step-father were both alcoholics. It's not always entirely a choice, per se. While I have little tolerance for drunks, and I myself have chosen not to drink to excess, though one or two on the rare occassion doesn't bother me, I can understand how it happens, and I can have some sympathy for that. I have great respect for people able to clean themselves up, get on the wagon, and manage to stay there, even if it involves the occassional relapse or slip. It happens. That struggle is never an easy one, and it's one that's with you all of your life, much like my kidney transplant will always be with me for the remainder of mine.
I will simply offer to you that in my father's case, he believed he slipped over the line into acolholism during his tours in Viet Nam. He was career Air Force, serverd for 30 years and retired as a full bird colonel. While he was in Nam, he served two tours with MAC/V-SOG, which if you're not familiar with the unit, was a multi-branch military special forces unit (Military Advisory Command/Viet Nam - Studies and Observations Group) that went places we have never admitted to being, doing things we never officially did. His DD214 record is nearly entirely redacted, with pages of solid black marker. That made it fun to prove he was even there after his service-related passing in 1992, to acquire his death benefit from the VA. Anyway, what you need to understand about the military back in the 50s through the 70s, was that alcohol was cheap, and plentiful, and very nearlly pushed on soldiers serving. The "Class 6" stores had booze for next to nothing, parties were thrown pretty much every week, and when your boss invited you, or suggested you throw a party, it happened. It was part of the career path, and expected of you. Needless to say, there was a LOT of drinking back then, and as a result, a lot of alcoholics were created, in part by what they experienced, in part by their own doing of course, and in part by pressure from the peers and superiors. A lot has changed now in the military, and it was, I should note, the military that got him cleaned up and sober, and for that I can never thank them enough. My father had tremendous will power that is rare to see in a person. When he put his mind to something he did it. Eagle scout, career AF, father, husband, scout master, and more. He got dried out, and stayed sober for the last 8 or 10 years of his life until he died of lung cancer from prior agent orange exposure.
While I despise drunks, because of what I've experienced in my youth, I recognize that it's a result of what I've been through, and I don't hold that against others as a stereotype or pre-conceived impression. Everybody has their problems and shortcomings, and what defines us is how we confront and address them, and overcome them. Nobody is perfect.
Is it a disease? I couldn't tell you for sure. Is it a hurdle some have to cross, and a hurdle that some fail to surmount in their lives? Yes. So are many other things. Smokers, drug addicts, people who are overweight, people who are bigots and racists, plenty of problems to go around, so just be careful when looking down your nose at someone for what they are dealing with, and just be glad you don't have to live in their shoes.

Ok we're avbout to start a whole new pissing contest but I personally believe the "disease Concept" is a way to avoid personal responsibility

It's an amazing subject, weed. Christianity is a belief system with fundamentals - subscribe to the fundamentals without proselytizing your own exclusive club; clique, and you're a Christian. The 'exclusivity' crowd which ignores the crux and amplifies the lesser items, are modern Pharisees, the one group which the Lord despised. They are alive and well today - always coming across as know-it-alls, your judge, holier than thou, you know. I was raised in the "Christian" church, got caught up in a mega-church, was a mess into my late 40s - finally and completely left the 'established' church scene and now know God for the first time in my life - total confidence in who he is and who I am. My 'church' is everywhere - bumping into "His" people, everywhere - and few of them are in the mainstream church. This works for me - everybody must "work out their own salvation, with fear and trembling ..." as it is written. The mainstream church has a purpose and perhaps a good place to start in fellowship - but not an "end" to one's search for God. And I'll tell you this, God loves Muslims and the "Churchy-crowd needs to cease it's terrible opinion and accusations against Muslims and realize that we do not know all the things which God knows - and plans. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam possess the same historical God. I don't know how these religions will ultimately exist but I do know that many in this forum, and everywhere for that matter, need to be very careful criticizing Muslims and Jews - to do so you criticize God. I'm supposed to be what I am and I have no choice but to believe that Muslims and Jews are supposed to be what they are. Not to be "preachy" but this subject is important to me.

As far as marijuana and "salvation" are concerned, this is how I see it. I've never been a smoker but realize that all plants have a purpose. The government has absolutely zero business legislating plants. As far as the so-called "health concerns," one can abuse oranges, celery, milk or anything. It's also not a great feat to find several C-grade doctors and scientists needing work to write up anything that the government "asks" them to write regarding anything needed as a false flag or prop to control and legislate us into oblivion. I grew up on a farm, lived in remote rural areas all my life of 59 years, retired now - only went to the city to work, and literally eat portions of many plants, identify them, smoke them at times, make tea, chew, etc.. for medicinal and other reasons. I feel terrible that so many have been imprisoned, separated from family, and suffered because of the ludicrous marijuana laws - and if you remember the 60s and 70s, many poor souls were incarcerated for long periods of time for simply possessing marijuana. If there's an example of anything which demonstrates the controlling, manipulating and malevolent character of law-makers and law enforcement officials, there's no better example than their stance on marijuana.

Do Christians smoke weed?

I have a "friend" who says she's Christian but smokes dope (just not in Muskogee). Can you be a Christian and smoke weed

Last edited:
Ok we're avbout to start a whole new pissing contest but I personally believe the "disease Concept" is a way to avoid personal responsibility

Spoken like someone that's never experienced an addiction (and I hope you never do). Believe what you will. All I know is that if I pick up a drink I cannot guarantee what will happen; if I don't pick one up, I guarantee that I won't get drunk. If you want to call that lack if willpower or avoiding responsibility then OK.

“Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having. Goddamn it Otto, you are an alcoholic. Goddamn it Otto, you have Lupus... one of those two doesn't sound right.”

- Mitch Hedberg

An alcoholic has to take the first drink and then follow it with the second and forward. It is their responsibility that they are an alcoholic. After they get to that point, they are at the point of no return without help. The end point occurs because the person wasn't responsible.

I have had an alcoholic drink at dinner and easily stopped after one. I am responsible by making the decision to drink one. Currently, I don't drink anything alcoholic and don't plan to, especially after I get my CCW permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

An alcoholic has to take the first drink and then follow it with the second and forward. It is their responsibility that they are an alcoholic. After they get to that point, they are at the point of no return without help. The end point occurs because the person wasn't responsible.

I have had an alcoholic drink at dinner and easily stopped after one. I am responsible by making the decision to drink one. Currently, I don't drink anything alcoholic and don't plan to, especially after I get my CCW permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

However it is not anyone's fault they would have a genetic predisposition to addiction. Ie college students who drink heavily and subsequently develop alcoholism without intention of becoming an alcoholic.

Spoken like someone that's never experienced an addiction (and I hope you never do).

31 years sober come Saturday

Believe what you will. All I know is that if I pick up a drink I cannot guarantee what will happen;

I can, if I pick up a drink I'm going to get hammered and do stupid things

If you want to call that lack of willpower

One of the most profound statements I've ever heard on will power came from another drunk, Greg Boyington in his book Baa Baa Black Sheep. He said will power is doing whatever it is you most want to do at any given moment. If I want to stay sober more than I want to drink I will regardless of my circumstance.

or avoiding responsibility then OK.
What I call avoiding responsibility is blaming a “disease” for my sin.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back