Deep Sea Fishing

NCIC105

Getting ready to go deep sea fishing. 75 miles off coast of Charleston, SC.

Last time I was in a small boat (18 foot sail boat) I got sea sick...But then again I was in 15 foot swells...

The boat I will be on is a 28 footer and I'm concerned about sea sickness...

Any prep I can do???

This is the boat I will be on

Motion sickness is an "ailment" to me ever since I can remember because when I was young, my mother always says I cannot go with her because I will be sick. Anyway, after I married my husband we went to Tennessee in a 4-seater Cessna and was up there for three hours (from Creve Coeur Airport). I must have used the supplies of sickie bags on the plane. When we landed my loud mouth hubby told everyone my discomfort. I got many advises, buy this, do that, don't do that...some i can afford to spend money on but didn't, I didn't know why...but some advices I took with a grain of salt. Later on throughout the years I was able to find what is comfortable for me...

Open your right hand, palms up. See the L between your forefinger and your thumb?

Bring that L to the other L of your left hand. If you bend you left hand straight up from the wrist, your right hand thumb will land on that part of your left wrist.

Now...before you leave the house rub that part of the wrist where your right hand thumb landed in. (There is this part of your left wrist next to the tendon. Feel the little like bubble? Rub it continuously around for about 3 or 5 minutes. The longer you do that, the better you will feel or maybe not feel anything at all different. Go on your way and forget about it for a while...

When you reach the marina, do the same thing again, rub your left wrist. Forget what happened last time you went fishing. Just look forward to it without the discomfort or you can anticipate not having any discomfort. If when you are already in the boat and you feel giddy again, just rub your wrist again...

Link Removed and share with us your experience...

Just got back from the charleston area. Went fishing. Caught a few sharks. I didn't get seasick though. But some of my buds did. The captain said his advice was to not drink so much. So I stopped......getting on boats. Hope this helps. Have fun, the wind there is soothing. Not like the stale air we have in TN

Dam MOM it's sounds like some of that Australian Aborigines medicine. Hope it works for ya NCIC.

Not sure if your trolling or bottom fishing off shore BUT if ya bottom fish'n I would suggest. Going to BIG John's downtown and drink all night. Bout 230 in the morning on the way home (of course you're not driving) stop by the Waffle House and load up on a bodacious plate of their fine food. The next morning while out there and feeling a queasy, you'll have plenty of chum for attracting the fish.
Of course, please disregard if trolling. Motion sickness originates from the movement of the inner ear and not a whole lot out there for a cure. Try draminine or Budweiser. One's gotta work:bad:

Good Luck out thar!

wow i think you'll be to busy catching fish to have motion sickness but if you do try tuckers moms remedy it might work if not carry some motion sickness pills just in case
wow i'd love to have the opportunity to go trollin with ya but i'm in florida and haven't done that in decades
i never got seasick out in the ocean a few sunburns but it was all so worth it
have fun be safe and hope you don't get seasick out there

Dam MOM it's sounds like some of that Australian Aborigines medicine. Hope it works for ya NCIC.

Not sure if your trolling or bottom fishing off shore BUT if ya bottom fish'n I would suggest. Going to BIG John's downtown and drink all night. Bout 230 in the morning on the way home (of course you're not driving) stop by the Waffle House and load up on a bodacious plate of their fine food. The next morning while out there and feeling a queasy, you'll have plenty of chum for attracting the fish.
Of course, please disregard if trolling. Motion sickness originates from the movement of the inner ear and not a whole lot out there for a cure. Try draminine or Budweiser. One's gotta work:bad:

Good Luck out thar!
Mappow...my friend....actually who taught me this is a guy from North Carolina named Robert Dixon. I believe his business is trucking. His wife drives to Tennessee when we have an annual convention/fly-in over there and he flies his Buckaroo T35, one of the only 17 made by Globe Temco. I believe his is the YT-35 model made for the military. Ours is one of the ten trainers given by the US Government to Saudi Arabia in the early 50's, a T35A. but that's another story for another day....

Anyway...because his wife get motion sickness whenever she boards a single engine plane, he looked for ways to relieve her anxiety. He bought his wife a kind of watch which you can dial a strength for massaging the wrist -- on the same spot that I suggested to NCIC105. But then because I cannot find it in any shops at Athens at the time, he suggested that I do that. It worked on the way back going home. I tried medicines, some prescription ones too, name it, I had done it. Nothing works. There is another alternative though....a patch you put behind the ear called Scopes and you need a prescription. It cost $90/patch. The massage works easy without getting anything inside my system so I suggested that. I've tried Dramanine, it did not work for me. I hate putting stuff in my stomach if it is not food, gotta be good cooked fresh food. With massage on the wrist I can eat anything or drink anything without having motion sickness.

I know you are joking but having motion sickness since I was young wasn't a pleasant experience I tell ya...I'd do anything to be able to enjoy life without it. I'd enjoy a Bud every now and then though...or a Vic Bitter.:smile:

Motion sickness is an "ailment" to me ever since I can remember because when I was young, my mother always says I cannot go with her because I will be sick. Anyway, after I married my husband we went to Tennessee in a 4-seater Cessna and was up there for three hours (from Creve Coeur Airport). I must have used the supplies of sickie bags on the plane. When we landed my loud mouth hubby told everyone my discomfort. I got many advises, buy this, do that, don't do that...some i can afford to spend money on but didn't, I didn't know why...but some advices I took with a grain of salt. Later on throughout the years I was able to find what is comfortable for me...

Open your right hand, palms up. See the L between your forefinger and your thumb?

Bring that L to the other L of your left hand. If you bend you left hand straight up from the wrist, your right hand thumb will land on that part of your left wrist.

Now...before you leave the house rub that part of the wrist where your right hand thumb landed in. (There is this part of your left wrist next to the tendon. Feel the little like bubble? Rub it continuously around for about 3 or 5 minutes. The longer you do that, the better you will feel or maybe not feel anything at all different. Go on your way and forget about it for a while...

When you reach the marina, do the same thing again, rub your left wrist. Forget what happened last time you went fishing. Just look forward to it without the discomfort or you can anticipate not having any discomfort. If when you are already in the boat and you feel giddy again, just rub your wrist again...

Link Removed and share with us your experience...

Got photo?

Got my left confused with my other left!

They sell elastic wrist bands with a button that puts pressure on a specific spot on your wrist. I know those that swear by the wrist bands. Sounds similar to Mom's trick. Take some saltine crackers with you and eat a few if you start to feel sea sick. The crackers soak up liquid and help with the nausea.

They sell elastic wrist bands with a button that puts pressure on a specific spot on your wrist. I know those that swear by the wrist bands. Sounds similar to Mom's trick. Take some saltine crackers with you and eat a few if you start to feel sea sick. The crackers soak up liquid and help with the nausea.
@Caribou and NCIC105....I forgot about those...I have a pair of those. You can buy them at Walgreens or whatever pharmacy name you have over there in the Carolinas. What I do is rub that button on the inside of my left wrist for a few minutes and I'm OK for my trip. And I don't think you will need the crackers if you are not going to be sick anyway.. and it is not expensive. You can even buy them at Walmart, I think. I forgot where I bought mine ... Thanks Caribou...I lost mine somewhere in one of the window shelfs of the house...:smile: I just do the massage bit on the left wrist. I do not know why it has to be the left wrist but it works for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back