DA/SA pistol: safety on or off

It really depends on the gun. Is there a hammer block to prevent it from striking the firing pin with the safety off?

When I was in the USAF we carried the M-9 hammer down safety off, but that pistol is designed to be carried that way.

When I carry a USP 45, it is hammer down safety off.

When I carry a high power, it is cocked and locked.

When I carry a makarov it is hammer down safety on.

I practice regular handling drills with all 3 guns and I am very adept at functioning all 3 weapons.

Please be advised that all three have safeties that disengage in the same motion/direction of travel.

My baby eagle was carried hammer down safety off but usually on an empty chamber.

I did not like the fact that the safety disengaged by flipping it up.
I donated it to my son as his first carry pistol. He loves it.

Last edited:
Well, anything could cause you to die. I can't tell you how many people can't draw from their carry holsters efficiently, fail to understand the difference between cover and concealment, getting off the "X", drawing and shooting from retention... It ALL comes down to training and practice (not just standing in front of a static target).

you're preaching to the choir here, I will say it again, advocating carrying with the safety on because of other skill problems is also quite foolish

I carry my Ruger SR40C in a 3 Speed Holster. I baby sit my 9 month grandson, who jumps all over my lap, and had kicked the safety into HOT. I am still new at this. Around the house, it's safety on...When I am out, it will be safety off. I need to get a Blue gun to practice draw with more.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app

when you baby sit your grandson you should consider disarming and locking the weapon in a safe place, it is never too early to start forming good habits because until the kid is old to enough to understand the lethality of a gun the kid should never have any kind of access to one

I carry my Ruger SR40C in a 3 Speed Holster. I baby sit my 9 month grandson, who jumps all over my lap, and had kicked the safety into HOT. I am still new at this. Around the house, it's safety on...When I am out, it will be safety off. I need to get a Blue gun to practice draw with more.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app

If you want to practice your draw I suggest you do it with your carry gun and not a "blue gun". Get some .40 snap caps, they're like $15 online. Use them in your mag so you can practice drawing, racking, reloading, running malfunction drills and dry firing. No point in training with something else. You don't see MLB players practice with aluminum bats and then switch to wood during a game. Same bat all the time.

Shooting at the range, in class, is not the same as being in a real gunfight. Why would you want to insert an extra step that you may or may not forget to do when you are in a stressful situation like a real gunfight? Also, is there any real difference between a DA semi-auto and a revolver when it comes to safety? Both need to have the trigger pulled to fire and the pull is much harder on DA than it is in SA. This is all the safety I need. If you need more than that, go for it. Chances are good you will never need to pull and use the weapon anyhow since they are like fire extinguishers, there if needed.....but how many fires have you had? Most people, fortunately, will be able to say none. I still have my extinguishers though, just in case. :ph34r:[/QUO

Using your same "rational" about the stresful situation...Can you imaging your index/trigger finger action on a stress impulse??? Are you going to aim/point to the correct area? or due to the stress are you going to just present the gun and pull the trigger?

I have no clue. I do what works for me and makes sense for me. That's it.

When I carried by Bersa Thunder 380 (which is a DA/SA) I had one in the chamber safety off (de-cocker is a better term for it). Now I've switched to an Ruger SR40c. It's a striker fire with a really short trigger pull and I've had fears of it firing when I put it into the holster and something got in the way of the trigger. I guess I need to realize that once I get it in the holster the trigger is safe so why have the safety on? I'll carry it safety off from now on as most posters are right that there's no need to add an extra step. Keep the trigger clear until you're ready to use it and you won't need a safety. You are the safety.

You can learn through your own experiences, and advice from strangers on the internet, or you can learn from knowledgeable firearm instructors, and gun owners manuals, etc. Let us know how it goes. Your question, why have the safety on?
9234396179_6839cacf64.jpg

Do bad guys carry with it locked and loaded? With safety on or off? :triniti:
Do you carry a pocket knife? Have you ever accidently cut yourself? How many other people have you stabbed trying to defend yourself with your pocket knife? Point being, most of us that carry defensive tools, never get into altercations with those tools, and that is good. However, many of us accidently (negligently) harm ourselves or a family member carrying those tools of defense. A safety on a gun, is one direct line of defense to help protect US, while we are carrying these tools of defense to protect ourselves from THEM.

You can learn through your own experiences, and advice from strangers on the internet, or you can learn from knowledgeable firearm instructors, and gun owners manuals, etc. Let us know how it goes. Your question, why have the safety on?

It goes fine so far... I'm smart and I pay attention to my gun and how I handle it.
Also don't come at me with some lame internet meme that has no context to make your point. We don't know who that idiot is... we don't know the circumstances and it could as easily make the no safety point as the safety on point (i.e. only idiots should have the safety on).
You're clearly in the minority here and have yet to prove anything except that I wouldn't want you instructing me on anything, chief.

Do you carry a pocket knife? Have you ever accidently cut yourself? How many other people have you stabbed trying to defend yourself with your pocket knife? Point being, most of us that carry defensive tools, never get into altercations with those tools, and that is good. However, many of us accidently (negligently) harm ourselves or a family member carrying those tools of defense. A safety on a gun, is one direct line of defense to help protect US, while we are carrying these tools of defense to protect ourselves from THEM.

It goes fine so far... I'm smart and I pay attention to my gun and how I handle it.
Also don't come at me with some lame internet meme that has no context to make your point. We don't know who that idiot is... we don't know the circumstances and it could as easily make the no safety point as the safety on point (i.e. only idiots should have the safety on).
You're clearly in the minority here and have yet to prove anything except that I wouldn't want you instructing me on anything, chief.

We also don't know that that picture wasn't Photochopped by the same instructor who posted it, or anyone else. I would almost bet that it's a fake. The "wound" looks more like genital warts than raw meat, there's no blood, and the edges of the "flesh" surrounding the "wound" doesn't look burned or cauterized that would explain the lack of blood. I'm calling BS on that pic.

Blues

We also don't know that that picture wasn't Photochopped by the same instructor who posted it, or anyone else. I would almost bet that it's a fake. The "wound" looks more like genital warts than raw meat, there's no blood, and the edges of the "flesh" surrounding the "wound" doesn't look burned or cauterized that would explain the lack of blood. I'm calling BS on that pic.

Blues

I thought it might be but wasn't sure. Regardless, who the hell uses an internet meme of questionable validity to make their point? Ignorant. All it does is invalidate his.

Glock does not have an external safety, but guns that do, why not avail yourself, your family, of the free protection they provide?
Because I don't want to put myself or my family in danger by adding unnecessary, extra steps into the process of self defense. Many of my guns came with a trigger lock. Based on your logic, why not avail myself and my family of the free protection they provide? Because I'm not that naive, that's why.
Every year, how many people get shot with their own gun?
And how many of those guns were equipped with safeties? How many of those were owned by people that used their safeties just as you are proposing here? Probably quite a lot of them. That's because using a safety or not using a safety does not stop people from having negligent discharges. Supposedly most of them happen while cleaning their 'empty' gun, so theoretically every single one of those people could carry with the safety on just as you advise. Unfortunately what you do with a safety while carrying doesn't help while cleaning your gun, does it? That's why trying to use statistics on self inflicted gunshot wounds isn't even remotely applicable to whether or not a person uses a safety when they carry a gun.
Bag (sic) guy gets your gun, and bang.
Seriously? You think your safety would be the big issue in this scenario?
Toddler picks up a gun you thought they could not reach, and bang. Wife moves your gun, maybe to bring it to you, and bang.
Your problem here goes way beyond an external safety. If you don't see that, I really feel for you. I don't leave my guns where toddlers can get to them and nobody handles them that doesn't know how to.
If a gun has a safety, why not use it?
If you can add a safety to a gun like Glock, for the price of lunch out at a drive thru, why not get one, and use it?
Because I want to be as safe as possible. Introducing unnecessary, additional steps into the self defense process makes me less safe.
Do you carry your gun to protect yourself? Would you use it to protect yourself? If you answer yes to those questions, and you find yourself in court, to justify a shooting, one of the 1,000 questions you will be asked, is do you keep your safety on, on your gun? Why would they ask that? It shows your mindset, public safety, or fast & loose, ready to shoot as fast as possible.
They might ask that, sure. They might ask a thousand other irrelevant questions too. But the question will have no impact on you since any practice the police normally use is almost impossible to be used against you in court. Since the police don't usually carry DA pistols with the safety on, or carry striker fired pistols that have no external safety, this isn't going to be an issue for you in court.
When I carried by Bersa Thunder 380 (which is a DA/SA) I had one in the chamber safety off (de-cocker is a better term for it). Now I've switched to an Ruger SR40c. It's a striker fire with a really short trigger pull and I've had fears of it firing when I put it into the holster and something got in the way of the trigger. I guess I need to realize that once I get it in the holster the trigger is safe so why have the safety on? I'll carry it safety off from now on as most posters are right that there's no need to add an extra step. Keep the trigger clear until you're ready to use it and you won't need a safety. You are the safety.
These were the same fears when Glock basically pioneered the mass marketed, striker fired pistol. Striker fired pistols such as Glocks and the SR40 typically have lighter triggers, and negligent discharges have been more of an issue. Since Glocks were the first mass marketed striker fired designs, they got the bad reputation when people didn't take the proper care they should, and negligent discharges went markedly up. But there are a few things to keep in mind here. These incidences of negligent discharge have decreased significantly since the gun buying public has become more aware of the unique aspects of striker fired designs. Also, almost every single instance of negligent discharge occurs when the firearm is being handled, something that doesn't happen when a properly holstered pistol is being carried concealed. Note that I said 'properly holstered'. Some people still make the mistake of trying to carry concealed without a proper holster, which is a big mistake, especially with striker fired pistols. In those instances, having an external safety engaged might be a very good idea, if the gun has one.
No advice from from strangers on the internet, huh? And yet to buttress that remark, you post a picture from a stranger on the internet. A stranger who could have incurred that injury in any number of different ways. Somebody just thought it might be funny to put it on a poster about guns. Even if the injury was done with a gun, there is no way to tell how it was incurred. For all we know, the guy was another paranoid freak who was afraid of his gun and carried it with the safety on all the time, but shot himself while cleaning it. And every knowledgeable firearm instructor I've ever discussed the topic with, TACTICAL instructors mind you, not armchair experts who teach at a shooting range, have said to carry with a round chambered and the safety off. Unless of course I had some kind of death wish. And those were the actual words of a cop/tactical instructor who also volunteers on the same rescue squad that I do. I'll take his many years of tactical teaching experience over your internet stranger advice any day. No offense.

These were the same fears when Glock basically pioneered the mass marketed, striker fired pistol. Striker fired pistols such as Glocks and the SR40 typically have lighter triggers, and negligent discharges have been more of an issue. Since Glocks were the first mass marketed striker fired designs, they got the bad reputation when people didn't take the proper care they should, and negligent discharges went markedly up. But there are a few things to keep in mind here. These incidences of negligent discharge have decreased significantly since the gun buying public has become more aware of the unique aspects of striker fired designs. Also, almost every single instance of negligent discharge occurs when the firearm is being handled, something that doesn't happen when a properly holstered pistol is being carried concealed. Note that I said 'properly holstered'. Some people still make the mistake of trying to carry concealed without a proper holster, which is a big mistake, especially with striker fired pistols. In those instances, having an external safety engaged might be a very good idea, if the gun has one.

Yeah, my Ruger SR40c has a butt-load of "safety features" which is one of the downsides most people list about them. It has a striker blocker to prevent ND when dropped. It has the safety trigger which works in conjunction with the striker blocker. It had a mag disconnect but I took it out which was a feature I didn't like on my Bersa. I'd liked to be able to get at least one round off if the mag falls out. It has the in-your-face loaded chamber indictor as well. I usually holster it with the safety on (because I felt this was the probably when a ND was most common) but as soon as it's seated in the holster the safety comes off. Ready for action.

No offense
Screw it, offend him. He's offended me.

You guys take your pick, News stories about accidental shootings, for all sorts of reasons (excuses)

news father accidentaly shoots child - Yahoo! Search Results

Once again: A safety being on or off had nothing to do with these stories just the fact that- A: the gun was pointed somewhere it shouldn't have been. B: A finger was on the trigger when it shouldn't have been. and C: In the case of a child shooting someone else the gun wasn't properly stored/locked up/etc.

Show me one of these stories where a safety would have made all the difference?

Your arguments are tiresome in the fact that they do nothing to help your "views"

Once again: A safety being on or off had nothing to do with these stories just the fact that- A: the gun was pointed somewhere it shouldn't have been. B: A finger was on the trigger when it shouldn't have been. and C: In the case of a child shooting someone else the gun wasn't properly stored/locked up/etc.

Show me one of these stories where a safety would have made all the difference?

Your arguments are tiresome in the fact that they do nothing to help your "views"
Doesn't appear that any of those accidents had anything to do with carrying a concealed firearm either, which is the topic here.

If you keep your gun in a holster that covers the trigger and keep your finger off the trigger till you are ready to shoot then not using a safety is no big deal. I can see using a safety if you are around kids just to be extra safe. In the old west most people had six-shooters and though there may have been some accidental discharges most people had no problem. My two carry guns have long first shot trigger pulls so I keep them locked and loaded with the safety off when I carry. If I was going to carry a striker-fire gun I would want a manual safety on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back