Confused about becoming an instructor.

Can't help you there, I choose not to teach the NRA lesson plans.

The NRA is a good base, but I prefer to write my own lesson plans.
Same here. The NRA courses are for those with no experience. The PP classes take you from beginner to light intermediate. Advanced training expands on those basics and incorporates tactical drills that require prior experience. We require advanced students to have a minimum of PPOTH. I've had inexperienced shooters fail to safely handle a firearm in advanced classes, thus the requirement. My motto in learning personal protection is "first learn to crawl, then walk, then run."

I like the slide show the NRA gave me with my training course. It keeps me on track and has good visuals.

Regardless of all the training in the classroom, my biggest thing is safety. I keep drumming it in until it hurts. It only takes a split second for an accident to happen that could have otherwise been prevented. The three things the NRA pushes real hard is:
Link Removed
I copied this and inserted it into the presentation half a dozen times. That should help make it stick.

I don't promote the last sentence real hard, since it's hard to CC with an unloaded gun.

I like the slide show the NRA gave me with my training course. It keeps me on track and has good visuals.

Regardless of all the training in the classroom, my biggest thing is safety. I keep drumming it in until it hurts. It only takes a split second for an accident to happen that could have otherwise been prevented. The three things the NRA pushes real hard is:
Link Removed
I copied this and inserted it into the presentation half a dozen times. That should help make it stick.

I don't promote the last sentence real hard, since it's hard to CC with an unloaded gun.

I don't know which class the slide is from but they forgot an important safety point especially for CC and that is to identify your target.

I don't know which class the slide is from but they forgot an important safety point especially for CC and that is to identify your target.

I agree and I go into that in my class as well.

Good to hear and this is why I don't teach the NRA lesson plans. They're developed for the square range.

Ah, but I would imagine that a lot of the members of the Pinkpistols have taken these classes.
Yeah, we get 'em. But I'm proud to see so many woman taking personal protection more seriously. One gal pulled her pinky on a perp and he laughed himself into an asthma attack. She won!!! :sarcastic:

Just kidding.

Good to hear and this is why I don't teach the NRA lesson plans. They're developed for the square range.​

I'm not sure that the Basic Pistol course was intended to teach self defense in any way shape of form. I go into it a little bit, but I think the NRA in an effort to keep the coffers full, tend to break courses down into smaller increments. So once students get familiar with a hand gun, then they can take the courses intended to teach self defense.

The Slide Course is done in Power Point. I found I can manipulate it quite easily. I tool several slides out that were intended for me to read but not the students, I changed a few slides positions, as I felt they were better in different areas of the course.

I don't know what a square range is either.​

Correct. The NRA insurance will cover personal injury on a home range but will only cover damage to property after homeowner insurance is exhausted as the primary coverage. I find the wording in the insurance contract is quite confusing so it's always a good idea to have an attorney read any contract for coverage. That damn fine print gets us every time.

I'm never sure why people don't do this BEFORE the SHTF! My attorney has a half-hour minimum ($150 for 30 minutes)and he has never charged more than the minimum to review a document such as an insurance policy and match it to a list of questions, such as, "Will I be protected, insurance pay, and how much, if..."
1. A client shoots themselves.
2. A client shoots another client or me.
3. A client damages my property or that of a client (car, building, dog, etc.)
4. A gun malfunctions and injures a client.
etc., etc.

You get the idea. Make it easy on the attorney by providing a clear copy of the policy and the insurance agent's name and contact info if he has questions. Make a clear, concise list of questions that he can type answers to and email back to you. If you make it easy, he will usually make it cheap!

Yep, the waiver is only your first line of defense. You need liability insurance and yes you can add on ranges or buildings to the NRA insurance. The chances of you having a problem are slim but if there is a problem of any sort you can almost gaurantee a lawsuit in todays society.

I'm still hoping someone can clear up the Basic Pistol and First Steps courses. What the difference is.

I also believe that when someone gets hurt, there will be a lawsuit, but like I stated earlier, most Lawyers aren't going to take a case if there is no money to go after. And taking an Insurance certificate to an Attorney won't guarantee that he and the Insurance company are going to agree on his interpretation of the policy. That's why most of these things end up in court in the first place.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back