Confused about becoming an instructor.

Thanks Diver,

I followed your Link and I was already in the system, so I hooked up and will order materials later today. I
took the course on the 6th of August, so maybe they are getting caught up.
Eaight weeks sounds about right to get your credentials.

I guess it is what it is. When it gets here, I'll post back to let anyone else who's interested how long it takes. It took less than 16 days for them to put me into the system at the NRA.

pbm is correct. To teach in florida you need the NRA Pistol instructor classification. or and equally approved
cerificate. The DD214 will only help you with the Conealed permit

Congratulations Sir!

So, when is your first class? Make sure you come back and let us know how it went. Friends are great first students, they are patient and will give honest feedback.

Regards,

Jeff

Actually it's tomorrow (Saturday the 3rd). I have one friend who is taking it, even though I had about 15 who
said they wanted to take it before I took the class. I invited the neighbor over to see it even though he isn't interested in getting the permit. I would rather give it to a whole group, but looks like that's not going to happen. I bought an ATI 1911 .22 for training. I thought it would give some that aren't too familiar
with semi autos the look and feel without the kick and bang. Besides, I'm supplying the ammo and guns. I'll have to use the CCI's in the semi auto instead of the Wally World cheapies.
Wish me luck!

Let me tell you from experience that you'll always get more people who talk about classes than attend. If you want to succeed as an instructor you have to treat it like a business. Create enrollment forms, liability release forms, refund policies and require deposits when student register.
If this is just a hobby for you though disregard what I've said.

No, it's not a hobby. With the economy the way it is, I have had to
diversify as had the Wife. I'm doing the training and she's now selling Avon. Anyone need an Avon book???

The watewell business is sort of in the dumper, even though we are one
of a very few who are still in business, things are still real slow.
You do what you have to do.

I have been training people here for over ten years how to handle a gun and showing how to safely handle one. Including my two Grandaughters, a
Grand -son and several other youngsters. Not to mention others who have just never gotten familiar with a gun, but wanted to give it a try.

It's real handy having a range in your back yard. Don't get me wrong, it's not fancy, but it works.

There was no offense intended but there are a lot of hobby instructors out there. Do the forms I suggested and go to business. Teaching can be a lucrative business. Make sure your instructor insurance in order and if you're teaching on a home range get that insured. Your homeowner's insurance will not cover you it.

Who would you recommend for insurance? Do you need some certain kind of Insurance? Or is it an add on to your homeowners?

Who would you recommend for insurance? Do you need some certain kind of Insurance? Or is it an add on to your homeowners?
For general NRA training, the NRA insurance is fine. It provides $2 million in aggragate coverage as professional liability insurance for about $325 annualy. If you intend to teach advanced classes you may want to revisit the coverage at a later time.

Ouch... $325.00 annually. At the rate of inquiries I'm getting to my ads, I'm not sure I will even earn $325.00 a year.

Ouch... $325.00 annually. At the rate of inquiries I'm getting to my ads, I'm not sure I will even earn $325.00 a year.
You should be able to knock that out in a weekend or two. Have patience. your student base will grow through word of mouth. I suggest undercutting your competition's price, providing discounts for groups or return students and contacting all the local sporting goods stores and ranges for work. We provide free training to all employees (and their families) of gun stores who refer students to us. USA Carry members get a 50% discount on training.

The NRA insurance only will cover you as an instructor. You will need additional insurance on your range,you cancheck but homeowners insurance will not cover you or your home range when you're using it for business. I use Joseph Chiarello & CO for my insurance. Gun Insurance Home, Welcome

The NRA insurance only will cover you as an instructor. You will need additional insurance on your range,you cancheck but homeowners insurance will not cover you or your home range when you're using it for business. I use Joseph Chiarello & CO for my insurance. Gun Insurance Home, Welcome
The NRA coverage will allow you to add any range as addiditional insured and will issue a certificate of cov erage for each range. The fee was $25 per range. The NRA coverage also includes, damages to location, published works and/or substance of lectures, including copyright infringement.

That is if it's an already insured range, not one in your backyard. Chiarello does the same.
The reality Speedbump is if you're going to teach others than just friends and family you need the insurance.

I have a question that may seem silly, but since I'm going to have everyone sign a waiver, what do I need Insurance for?

We all have students sign waivers and some of us even do videotaped waivers but that will not stop a lawsuit. You should talk to an attorney for more details on that. You should check your homeowners policy and'or call your agent about your home range also. You might find that your teaching is not covered.

I doubt my homeowners would cover it either. AS a matter of fact, I'm not sure any Insurance covers much of
anything. They always seem to have some fine print, we couldn't see that leaves them non liable. Just like
the water damage issue. Was it from a broken pipe, from rain, from a wind storm or something else, they are
all different insurance policies.

I wonder if an Attorney would even take a case knowing there was no insurance company to go after. They sure
ain't going to get much out of me. Lawyers don't like cases where there is no money to go after.

That is if it's an already insured range, not one in your backyard. Chiarello does the same.
The reality Speedbump is if you're going to teach others than just friends and family you need the insurance.
Correct. The NRA insurance will cover personal injury on a home range but will only cover damage to property after homeowner insurance is exhausted as the primary coverage. I find the wording in the insurance contract is quite confusing so it's always a good idea to have an attorney read any contract for coverage. That damn fine print gets us every time.

Shifting gears

Since this thread will be helpful to others like me, I have to ask another question. What is the basic difference between "First Steps and Basic Pistol"? I have the CD with Basic Pistol and have scaled it down to an easier to give class in my humble opinion. I took out all the instructor primers and just left the lesson. Is "First Steps" simply a scaled down version of "Basic Pistol"?

I also wonder if there is a CD for "First Steps" as well as "Basic Pistol"?

This thread might make a good Stickie for Newbie Instructors like Myself, I've received a lot of great info here.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back