Confrontation while OCing

Weather legal in your state or not, open carry is just not a good idea

Well I would say the OP handled it well and like a good neighbor. I have had a couple encounters with my neighbors when I first started OC.
One I was washing the car and put the XD on the hip and washed the car, one neighbor (gun nut) asked if I was afraid of being mugged or jumped in my driveway while pointing to my weapon. I simply said Nope. and left it at that. He carries when ever he is out and understands my stance.

The second time was with one of my friendly neighbor that I have never really talked to a lot and not sure of his stance on weapons. He asked if I was becoming a cop or somthing (he saw me on my way out) I told him I am a firm believer in the 2A and explained a little about local laws. I also informed him that it was not the first time I had a firearm on around him. He gave me the raised brow and I told him that when I have it concealed then it is concealed.

The one other that made an impression was I went to introduce my self to a new neighbor. (I live in a military neighborhood off base) He asked if I was a cop on base or somthing. I kinda gave him the raised brow and he said he thought he saw me with a pistol on my hip the other day. I told him he probally did see that and explained the right to bear arms and again a few of the local laws. All said and done he said if the crap hits the fan that he will be at my house. I offered to give him some range time and training if he ever feels he wants to be able to protect his family himself incase I am on vacation.

Just thought I would share a few of my encounters luckily (knock knock) I have not had any bad expericenes or memorable ones with LE's.

That makes two of us.

Well Good..:biggrin:

Yea.. Just got tired of it being a long drawn out conversation with a wall or a table.. They don't listen, just like the furniture and walls so why waste good air. I don't like being sold anything so I tend to avoid doing the same to others. Hey no hard feelings just don't ask to borrow it...

Lately most of the folks that I do have conversation with regarding guns and the like, choose to go and get their license and buy one or two!!! The last 2 so far. On the way to the Red Sox game last night I convinced a friend that it's time to Git-R-Done...

Peace...

Well Good..:biggrin:
Yea.. Just got tired of it being a long drawn out conversation with a wall or a table.. They don't listen, just like the furniture and walls so why waste good air..

When anyone is so stupid as to have to ask why I carry a gun, I just "politely" say ..."that's a really stupid question", and leave it at that. John Wayne said it best.."Life is tough, even tougher if you're STUPID".

When anyone is so stupid as to have to ask why I carry a gun, I just "politely" say ..."that's a really stupid question", and leave it at that. John Wayne said it best.."Life is tough, even tougher if you're STUPID".

Big old smirk on my face.:laugh:

Yea it kinda goes like this... I do so deal with it. You don't and I'm already over it...

No sense in wasting time over it. We all have a path set out before us. Part of that path is Gods will and part of it is our own will. Make the best of the trek...

Peace...

I have to agree with Glock Fan. One cannot argue with stupid. If the goo ever hit the fan, which I hope it does not because some good people will go too, "stupid" is usually the cannon fodder to go down first. You see, we have had it so good for so long that "stupid" has not had the chance to get killed in a farm accident or something - meaning a long time ago the majority of their kind got killed off first because they are stupid. They have multiplied so much that it seems the whole of our society is "stupid". Their time will come...it always does.

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 21, 2010
Confronted While Open Carrying On My Own Property.
I had two interesting encounters with neighbors yesterday. I'm out in the yard doing a little spring cleaning'/yard work and one neighbor stopped and says, “Hey, tough guy! What're ya compensating for something, think you're a big man?” He reckoned I would not be so big without that gun.

He was PO'd because I had asked him to slow down earlier as he drove through the neighborhood. 10 mph speed limit, he's never under 20 mph or more. Kids, dogs, cats, elderly all use the road. No walks or curb. I asked very politely and suggested that I would be calling the sheriffs dept. in the future if he did not slow down. Same guy I pulled out of a snow bank last winter (he was drunk) Now he's a tad adversarial. He leaves and gives me a one finger salute. I am amused.

Later, another neighbor, his wife and I are talking about this and she says, “you bring this on yourself for carrying that, that gun.” She says; “you are scaring people, we've been talking about you. What kind of person carries a gun. We live in a quiet neighborhood. What are you afraid of?” I reply that I am not so much afraid as I am prepared. “FOR WHAT?” she very nearly yells.

I said, I am exercising my 2nd amendment right to bear arms in accordance with our state Constitution and the Constitution of the Republic. She says, “Well I don't know about all that but I think it would be better if we were like England.” Oh boy, here we go. “If all the guns were gone. . . .etc., etc., etc. zzzzzzzzzzz”

Her silent partner finally jumps in and says, “Yeah, I suppose you think kids should have guns too.” I say, “Noooo, I think they they should be able to shoot guns at whatever age their parents think is appropriate and under supervision.” He says, “before you know it, they'll be taking them to school.” I say, “Like they used too?”

I mentioned some of the recent incidents in Madison and Milwaukee with home break-ins and the crime map from Eau Claire. She was non-plussed and unmoved from here passivistic stance. I even remarked that Gandhi once said "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." She noted that and said she would have to look that up. Oooooh Kaaaaay. . . .

The conversation devolved from there with her saying that she did not want to argue but I should stop wearing the gun to make the neighbors feel better. I assured her that I would not and that the ones she should worry about are the guys who are hiding their guns and whom she is bumping shoulders with at Walmart etc. While shopping in her safe little world.

I asked her what if she were accosted and she said she would never use a gun even to save her own life and I just figure, there's natural selection at work for ya.

A Friend sent this pic and said, "here's your sign" ;
Heresyoursign.jpg

Appropo.

Link Removed

AS Ron White so perfectly said: "You can't fix "stupid" ".

The main problem with folks like that is that they breed, and vote. It's REALLY scary! LOL!!

I have only had to deal with this a few times but have mostly been blessed with those who are curious rather than antagonistic or outright hostile. My reply is that I put it on when I was getting dressed this morning, just like always.

While this has led to some discussions, I cannot really class any of them as arguments. I count those who are pro-carry/anti-OC differently though. In these conversations it usually proves a struggle to shut them down from preaching. At least the anti's are consistent in their opinion.

I have only had to deal with this a few times but have mostly been blessed with those who are curious rather than antagonistic or outright hostile. My reply is that I put it on when I was getting dressed this morning, just like always.

While this has led to some discussions, I cannot really class any of them as arguments. I count those who are pro-carry/anti-OC differently though. In these conversations it usually proves a struggle to shut them down from preaching. At least the anti's are consistent in their opinion.

I just thought of this as I read your post. We could just ask them which of the other Constitutionally guaranteed rights do you not favor? Is it is "pick and choose" with you? Personally, I uphold all of them. Even the First Amendment, which you exercise right now. If I had the same view of the First Amendment that you have of the Second, you would have already had your butt kicked by now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back