Concelaed Carry for fat guys..

In my opinion, it matters more what you wear than it does what size you are. Regardless of how big (or thin) you are, if you wear skin tight clothes, any gun and holster is going to show. In fact people will probably even be able to tell what caliber it is. No, not really.
If you wear one waist-size bigger jeans or pants, and a shirt that's a little over-sized (tucked or not), nobody can tell you're carrying. And of course there are deep concealment holsters like the 3 speed holster where you can wear a little tighter clothes.

I tried going up a size, and found I looked rather silly. The internet informs me that because I lack curves, I am not a "real woman," which is silly, but apparently most makers of pants disagree, and when I buy a size larger, they fit strangely. So, I went out and bought a bunch of layering things to wear... button up shirts, light sweaters, vests, etc. For me, it's not the size of the clothes, but the style of fit, weight of fabric, and even color or pattern that allows me to carry. So lots to think about!

What's really funny... I need to wear much looser clothes to conceal with the 3Speed! I'm a little backwards, though. :wink:

I was probably a lot rounder than all of you and I carry my guns at 3-4 o'clock IWB with no issues at all.
now that I've lost a bunch of weight I sometimes carry OWB, it is more comforatable

I tried going up a size, and found I looked rather silly. The internet informs me that because I lack curves, I am not a "real woman," which is silly, but apparently most makers of pants disagree, and when I buy a size larger, they fit strangely. So, I went out and bought a bunch of layering things to wear... button up shirts, light sweaters, vests, etc. For me, it's not the size of the clothes, but the style of fit, weight of fabric, and even color or pattern that allows me to carry. So lots to think about!

What's really funny... I need to wear much looser clothes to conceal with the 3Speed! I'm a little backwards, though. :wink:
visit Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat. it is a gun forum aimed at womenand maybe they can offer advice for ladies concealing their guns

I'm looking for advise and other people experiences and practices. I'm overweight... have a gut... I see endless videos on gun TV shows and youtube channels with IWB holsters and all sorts of carry methods but all of these people are trim and have room inside their clothing. Me, not so much. I have seen a couple videos from overweight guys but I'm looking for more opinions.

You have the same problem 99% of all us fat guys, concealing and wearing it all day, for me my 24/7 gun is a Taurus TCP, in my right frt pocket 24/7, for the main gun for years I tried about every IWB holster made, I have a duffle bag full, some had good promise but after two or three days in the duffle it went, then maybe a year or so ago I had enough and started to open carry, and have since, there were other reasons, now I carry one of my Glocks or compact 1911s on my right hip, anywhere I can, but I see in Indiana you may have a tough time doing that,

Here's how I "roll"...
Glock 23, Alien Gear IWB at 3:00, Amish Made Belt, jeans 1 size bigger than normal... or Sig P226,Kydex OWB at 3:00, Amish Made Belt, my normal size jeans.
And btw I probably have you all beat....I'm 6'3 and 480lbs

I'm 5'11 at 250 Lbs. Had a roll since sixth grade, 160 Lbs. I CC/OC with either a SOB (CC ONLY) or OWB at 3-4 o'clock position. Summer time is Tee plus outside shirt un-tucked. In high temps, just an un-tucked shirt. NOT the best look out there but you do what ya gotta do. Really don't care on the fashion mob only the protection from the insane mob. I've been buying LONG length shirts for years. LL Bean has a great selection, pricey, but will last for years.

SPU, you are right we can't carry at all here in the Philippines. I will check out the toy sections but doubt seriously they will come close to what a real pistol and especially a pocket holster. Thanks though and if you ever are out and about at your LGS and just happen to have a tape along .... remember your shipmate in the Philippines.

jOE
Philippines

I am 6 foot even, 260 pounds. I carry a 1911 compact everyday. I use a homemade kydex IWB holster and a good stiff belt. After a few weeks, you get used to it. In the summer, I carry a sig P238 with a pocket holster. Not the same firepower, but it'll get you out of a jam. For the most part, no one notices. You really have to get past the being self conscious. Only someone else who is carrying concealed may notice because they are looking for it. If you are not worried about having to re holster once you have drawn your weapon, a soft, flexible leather will be more comfortable. I hope this helps. Just google kydex holster making and you will find many videos and forums to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's how I "roll"...
Glock 23, Alien Gear IWB at 3:00, Amish Made Belt, jeans 1 size bigger than normal... or Sig P226,Kydex OWB at 3:00, Amish Made Belt, my normal size jeans.

Damm.................

What hasn't been said is that you need a decent belt. A quality belt will help distribute the weight around your waist and make your carry less obvious.

I carry IWB with the Striker from Ugly Bald Guy holsters:

Link Removed

And with a similar size body to others here have never had an issue.

My holster is made from horse hide and has stingray trim, looks real sharp.

SPU, you are right we can't carry at all here in the Philippines. I will check out the toy sections but doubt seriously they will come close to what a real pistol and especially a pocket holster. Thanks though and if you ever are out and about at your LGS and just happen to have a tape along .... remember your shipmate in the Philippines.

jOE
Philippines

Mac I was thinking more along the lines of official replicas that holster manufacturers use to form their holsters with. You can probably get them cheaper, but here are examples: Link Removed

I am sure even in the Philippines, a mail-order holster and plastic non-firing replica must be legal. A bit pricey option, but if you want to get it right, it might save cash in the long run. Then while wearing your choice, get measured up.

What hasn't been said is that you need a decent belt. A quality belt will help distribute the weight around your waist and make your carry less obvious.

I carry IWB with the Striker from Ugly Bald Guy holsters:

Link Removed

And with a similar size body to others here have never had an issue.

My holster is made from horse hide and has stingray trim, looks real sharp.

Thanks for the site, went there and liked what I saw.

jOE
Philippines

Mac I was thinking more along the lines of official replicas that holster manufacturers use to form their holsters with. You can probably get them cheaper, but here are examples: Link Removed

I am sure even in the Philippines, a mail-order holster and plastic non-firing replica must be legal. A bit pricey option, but if you want to get it right, it might save cash in the long run. Then while wearing your choice, get measured up.

SPU, another thanks and my bad as I wasn't thinking, happens a lot nowadays. Having things "mailed" in can be very risky business over here. I will have to do some research on their individual & combined weights. Then, will have to get my son or my shipmate in NM to order, receive and then ship via a third party. I'm willing to do that as it will be two years before I/we move to ABQ, NM.

I heard before that at one of the LGR they had some, however, I DON'T GO to them as there are simply too many PNP (cops) there and they love to meet, befriend and hang out at your house. I keep a very low profile.

Do appreciate your help, I went to the Website, saved the Addy and will get on the research.

jOE
Philippines

Howdy bigbubba,

Here's how I "roll"...

Just out of idle curiosity, how can you possible find jeans 1 size bigger?

Yeah, at 6' 1" 266lbs you have me beat.

I carry OWB. It doesn't matter how much I weigh whether it be 195lbs when I was in my early 20's and PTed 2Xs a day, or when I weighed 304lbs after I had knee replacement surgery (big mistake to gain 40lbs after surgery ) I carry OWB. I can wear the same size jeans/slacks/shorts/etc. if I'm carrying or not carrying.

I carry 99.9% of the time when not at work but there are a few places that I cannot carry, like court, jail/prison, nightclubs, etc and when I go to those places I do NOT have to say "I cannot wear those pants because they are too big."

Plus, since I'm NOT a 19yo gangbanger I do NOT want to wear baggy jeans.

Paul

I previously posted I was 6'1" and 350 lbs. but after weighing in at the fat clinic today I am now 6'1" and 342 lbs.

Instead of going up a size in jeans, try just stretching your waistbands a little. Doesn't take much, but it gives you enough more room for most guns. Saves buying a new wardrobe.

Instead of going up a size in jeans, try just stretching your waistbands a little. Doesn't take much, but it gives you enough more room for most guns. Saves buying a new wardrobe.

My waistbands almost never fit properly anyway, so good there. Probably why they work fine at the normal size... lol

I can pretty easily carry my G27 with any IWB (I have several) at about the 4 o'clock position. I also will do appendix if I am going in a crowded area.

Interesting thread. I was recently looking for information on just this subject. Thanks for all the great info. I think carrying comfort might be a useful motivation for me to do something about it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back