Concelaed Carry for fat guys..

pdukich

I'm looking for advise and other people experiences and practices. I'm overweight... have a gut... I see endless videos on gun TV shows and youtube channels with IWB holsters and all sorts of carry methods but all of these people are trim and have room inside their clothing. Me, not so much. I have seen a couple videos from overweight guys but I'm looking for more opinions.

I'm a bit overweight, myself, so, I carry a holstered "mouse gun" (Ruger LCP .380 in an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster) in my right front pocket. No flash, easy access, hardly know its there. Does that help?

I am also a big guy. The best iwb holsters i found that are very comfortable and can be worn all day is the N82 tactical iwb. It is alway better and more comfortable if you wear your pants one size bigger than you do now. I carry everything from a full size to a subcompact. Check them out at n82tactical.com

Im over weight also. I carry a Glock 19 in a crossbreed supertuck inside the waste band at about the 8 - 9 o clock position and find it to be very comfortable. if your right handed it would be the 3 - 4 o clock position. The only thing I need to do while carrying is loosen my belt one notch, other than that everything is fine.

I'm a fat guy too. I've tried everything under the sun for IWB and nothing ends up being "all day comfortable" for me. The majority of the time I pocket carry. It can of course be a little more difficult to quickly draw, but nothing a little practice won't sharpen up. I pocket carry everything from a Ruger LCP, to a Ruger LCR, to a S&W Shield .40. One of the best things I have discovered is using a harder leather IWB holster for my LCR, but clipping it inside my right front pocket. This allows the gun to sit high in my pocket for quicker draw and prints less because it's under my untucked shirt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using USA Carry mobile app

Though not huge, I have a gut (I've been asked when I'm due). I carry a Taurus 845 in a Crossbreed super tuck (all day, every day except when driving the school bus). I go with about a 30 degree forward cant between 3 & 4 o'clock or 2-3. Either way I tweak up or down to fit the right "groove".

Took several tries to get the cant "off bone" in "off slab" but now 10-15 seconds of fine tune "pants/holster" jiggle and we're good to go.

Such is life in the fat lane.

I'm a bit overweight, myself, so, I carry a holstered "mouse gun" (Ruger LCP .380 in an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster) in my right front pocket. No flash, easy access, hardly know its there. Does that help?

It does help. How's the reliability of the LCP?

I am also a big guy. The best iwb holsters i found that are very comfortable and can be worn all day is the N82 tactical iwb. It is alway better and more comfortable if you wear your pants one size bigger than you do now. I carry everything from a full size to a subcompact. Check them out at n82tactical.com
Thanks for the info... I'll check them out.

I am 245 lb. and 6' tall, I carry a 1911 in a Galco King Tuk at 4:00 and I can wear it driving , standing and sitting anyware. Get your pants a size larger than you normaly wear and you shouldn't have any trouble.

I'm about the same size as Pop Charlie above this. I carry either a Hi-Point C9 or a Hi-Point .45 in a belly band - Blue Stone Wolverine Tactical. Been using it for a couple years now, and really like it.

Note: edited because I can't spel rite sumtims.

Though not huge, I have a gut (I've been asked when I'm due). I carry a Taurus 845 in a Crossbreed super tuck (all day, every day except when driving the school bus). I go with about a 30 degree forward cant between 3 & 4 o'clock or 2-3. Either way I tweak up or down to fit the right "groove".

Took several tries to get the cant "off bone" in "off slab" but now 10-15 seconds of fine tune "pants/holster" jiggle and we're good to go.

Such is life in the fat lane.

Addendum to the above -- I'm 5'9" and 210 lbs

I am slowly loosing some weight. but I am 5'6" @ 250# not exactly slim! I use the 3Speed Holster and though it was meant for DEEP CONCEAL, I wear mine at 1:30 (AIWB) just above my beltline. My EDC is a Ruger SR40C.
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Try a holster called the "FLASH BANG". Man boobs, girl boobs, what the hey, boobs is boobs. I myself wear a vest with inside pockets. I carry 2 FM Hi Powers, one on each side so that the balance is equal. No one has ever said a thing. Great for driving too as you are not sitting on you weapon as you are with IWB holsters. Remember YOU are the boss of your carry method. My dad used to carry his SW Combat Masterpiece in an oven mitt in the glove box on road trips, and down the front of his bib overhauls the rest of the time.

I am quite over weight (6' 2", 380 lbs). I cc the xds .45 a few different ways. Typically I pocket carry in a front pocket using a desantis nemesis. I also cc small of the back using a simple bulldog extreme #5 left handed holster (I am right handed), and ocasionally owb using a fobus style springfield kydex holster under a coat. It means that I have to buy roomy pants, usually cargo/bdu pants, but also roomy carpenter jeans.

In my opinion, it matters more what you wear than it does what size you are. Regardless of how big (or thin) you are, if you wear skin tight clothes, any gun and holster is going to show. In fact people will probably even be able to tell what caliber it is. No, not really.
If you wear one waist-size bigger jeans or pants, and a shirt that's a little over-sized (tucked or not), nobody can tell you're carrying. And of course there are deep concealment holsters like the 3 speed holster where you can wear a little tighter clothes.

Try a holster called the "FLASH BANG". Man boobs, girl boobs, what the hey, boobs is boobs. I myself wear a vest with inside pockets. I carry 2 FM Hi Powers, one on each side so that the balance is equal. No one has ever said a thing. Great for driving too as you are not sitting on you weapon as you are with IWB holsters. Remember YOU are the boss of your carry method. My dad used to carry his SW Combat Masterpiece in an oven mitt in the glove box on road trips, and down the front of his bib overhauls the rest of the time.

You DO know the Flashbang attaches to a bra, right?

I've tried a lot of carry guns from a Sig .45 carry, GP100, S&W J frame and Springfield XDs in .45 and found the N82 holster pretty comfortable but shifted around as I pulled up my pants (fat guys tend to have to). Other IWB made of leather or kydex were uncomfortable. I ended up wearing a S&W 642 in a Desantis in the right front pocket. Not my favorite because then wallet, keys, change and whatnot get shoved into the left front pocket. I recently went to the XDs in a pocket holster in the right front pocket. Sometimes when dressed really casually I wear on OTW kydex or leather holster and a big shirt over it. Printing is not a problem. IWB is just too uncomfortable for long periods for this fat guy.

I'm on a medically supervised diet now and losing weight, but still 6'1" and 350#'s. A good leather gun belt helps hold up pants and keeps from having to adjust all the time. Don't skimp on a heavy belt that fits.

It does help. How's the reliability of the LCP?

I've never had a failure with my LCP of any kind. It feels like a toy sometimes, but it's truly a marvel of engineering in my opinion. I bought an extra mag and carry it in my pocket as well. Even the extra mag disappears in your pocket. The long double action trigger pull allows you to carry it chambered confidently as well, but is not so long or heavy that makes you worry about fast follow up accuracy. Can you tell I like mine? 😉

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I'm 5'5", weight about 185 with a 40" waist. Short, fat & ugly I know. When we leave the Philippines and settle in either NM or GA I will be carrying in either a 'pocket holster' or a IWB most of the time. My pants and shorts are normally tailor made, cheap over here in the PI, so I'm looking for some info to assist me to get the pockets deep and wide enough to conceal a LCP/LC9, Khar CM/PM 9's or a XDS9?

Sure appreciate all comments and suggestions. Yes, even about my height and size. Bring it on :biggrin:

jOE
Philippines

I'm 5'5", weight about 185 with a 40" waist. Short, fat & ugly I know. When we leave the Philippines and settle in either NM or GA I will be carrying in either a 'pocket holster' or a IWB most of the time. My pants and shorts are normally tailor made, cheap over here in the PI, so I'm looking for some info to assist me to get the pockets deep and wide enough to conceal a LCP/LC9, Khar CM/PM 9's or a XDS9?

Sure appreciate all comments and suggestions. Yes, even about my height and size. Bring it on :biggrin:

jOE
Philippines

One thought is to buy a holster or two that you want to wear and if you cannot carry the pistol of choice in the Philippines, a plastic version in the holster. Then have the tailor measure you with the gun/holster combination you want.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back