Concealed carry: What does it mean to you?

OK. So we talk all the time on here about CCW. What does it mean to you? have you looked at the bigger/large format picture?

Things to consider:

What is your mindset?
How do you carry?
When do you carry?
How often do you practice?
How often do you train?
Who have you included in your choice to carry?
Have you trained your inner circle about your choice?

What you should think about is the whole concept of CCW.

Your thoughts?

What is your mindset?
My mindset is somewhere between "I want to make the environment safer" and "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." I have a friend that was at a gas station in the last year pumping gas and some whacko just came up to him and decked him and ran off...he was in his military uniform so that could have played a part in it but the point is, you never know what threat is around...not saying that would be grounds for presenting your CCW, just saying (like nightmare 45), be prepared...

How do you carry?
I'm still working on how I can carry my XD .45 in a concealed manner....so more often than not, I carry my S&W Bodyguard .380 in my pocket...

When do you carry?
I try to carry everday, however, my workplace does not facilitate me bringing it to work/leave it in my car so going to work I do not have CCW....

How often do you practice?
At least once a month whether it's at the local range or in an IDPA match...

How often do you train?
See above...I should do a lot more dry fire drills, magazine changes, trigger manipulation drills....work in progress...

Who have you included in your choice to carry?
My family and some of my closer friends...

Have you trained your inner circle about your choice?
Yes. I'm working on educating my wife more and trying to instill enough confidence in her so she will carry...

What you should think about is the whole concept of CCW.
It may not be for everyone but I really believe if you are a law-abiding citizen you should be allowed to exercise the privelage of CCW as per your local/state laws; luckily I'm in the great Commonwealth of Virginia, if I were back in my old state of the People's Republic of California, it would be another story.

Hi, im jonathan from hamburg ny. i have a few resons 1st im disabled now since 03 where i had 2 spinal surgerys
from a work related injury on interstate 90 westbound a dumptruck hit the bobcat i was operating. this yr alone i was attacked twice, once with my 12yr while stopped at a light in lackawana and thats while i am still waiting for approval. ect. but now i have been hearing that no one can carry anything loaded or unloaded within 1,000ft. of school grounds.
if this is true how do i, we carry because there are schools everywhere here and to even go to the hamburg rod and gun club. do you have a anwser??

To me it means I have a better chance that I make it home everyday to my family and a better chance to protect them as well.... My favorite response to when someone asks me why I carry... "Because every victim believed it would never happen to them".....

To me it means I have a better chance that I make it home everyday to my family and a better chance to protect them as well.... My favorite response to when someone asks me why I carry... "Because every victim believed it would never happen to them".....

Fourmula, I think you said it all and said it best.

@jon- the federal law leaves an exception for state and local exceptions. In Kansas a CCW holder can carry on school grounds/zones as long as they do not enter the building and most school buildings have the proper AG approved signage to remind you.

As far as carrying goes, I have wanted to be able to defend myself all of my life. I grew up in a rough neighborhood and school district and couldn't wait to start being able to go out without being afraid of a one sided beat down/robbery. Finally in the third decade of my life I can do something about it and I will never walk the streets in abject fear for my well being or that of my family. I carry a 1911 .45 full size in a shoulder rig and a S&W model 36 3in as my BUG. As far as training goes, gun slinging is the only true American Martial Art, I take it as seriously as any other martial artist takes their trade. Dry fire drills and practicing drawing from different positions is constant, I too have a disability and some days look like a wounded gazel on the plains... but with practice and discipline I can have teeth and maintain their bite.

John:

You can carry with 1000ft of a school, just not ON the property or IN the building.....There's a state law that covers just that. Check out the laws sections or contact an attorney that is familiar with the gun laws and they can answer it better than us internet junkies..LOL

Mindset=I'm 60ish medium stature and not able to withstand much of a physical confrontation. Nor am I of a mind to be taken advantage of.
How/when do I carry=Belt holster, shoulder or IWB depending on the circumstances. I carry ALL the time except where specifically prohibited and have since it was made legal.
How/when do I practice=I live in the country with my own range and can shoot anytime I want at anything I feel like. I don't go through the dance moves shown on TV by the so called experts. I pull my pistol and shoot standing, sitting, walking. I dispose of varmints when encountered which gives me all sorts of useful practice.
Everyone who knows me at all knows I carry a gun full time. The ones who don't know me will find out if/when the need arises. The only way for CCW to work is to ALWAYS carry w/o feeling big headed or guilty about it.

I only carry for one reason.To insure my Children,Wife, and I are always Safe.I Refuse to be a Victim. I won't let some Crack Head,Thug,or Two bit Criminal harm my Family.

I dont go looking for trouble, but Im always Alert. I Hope, and pray that I never have to draw, or use my Weapon.

Especially with my Wife, and Children Present. I often wonder what I would do,If we were in the Mall Shopping, and an Gun men began shooting.

First off, I would get my Wife, and a children in an safe Location. From there I would have my Weapon at the ready, hoping the BG doesn't come our way.

I would not go looking for him/her I would feel terrible for others in the mall, but I can only protect my own. some of you might think thats sellfish of me., but those are my true Feelings.

I'm not an LEO, So I can only do whats best for me, and my Family.

Pure and simple: I ccw because I can and I would be stupid not to know why I do it (must I really explain), and what to do and when to do it with my firearm. How much more does anyone need to know?

I think it boils down to "ya gotta do what ya gotta do". It's a survival thing.

Although I have to tell ya, it really ticks me off to have to believe that I have to "carry" to protect myself and mine from the depredations of the anti-socials. I mean, aren't we supposed to be living the the "most wonderful, peaceful, kindly, freedom loving" society on the planet? Isn't widespread unlawful activity the supposed bane of the "unsophisticated" Countries?

Well, reality of the matter is.... We can wrap all the technology, prosperity, education, civility and "rules" we like around us and call it civilization, but we are still but an evolutionary heartbeat away from the savage, survival determined species we started out as.

Think about it. Evolution of a species takes multi thousands of years, if not millions. Man's recorded history spans but 5000 (outside best estimate) and even THAT only shows an unnerving tendency toward perpetual internicene savagery!

We are still eons from making that leap to "Uber Menchen" of Philosophical ideal.

GG

To me it is very simple. I refuse to let the lazy, cowardly, drug addicted, bullying, thieving, people in this country have or gain control over me and mine. I hope that every honorable, law abiding, self respecting person in this country has or attains the same opinion. We can take the "streets" back and make our country once again the best, and safest to live in. I carry to not only protect my family, but to illustrate a point....BG will not win and I will do my best to be the victor.

What doe's concealed mean to me?, I cant answer that!, Because concealed means concealed, I dont advertise, what, where, how, why, or any other reason I carry, to anyone I dont know, my family know's I carry, Most of my friends know I carry, I say most, Because, I dont just tell my friends, If or when they find out, That's when they'll know, If they wish to know why, I may or may not disclose that, All depend's on reason they give me, As to why they want to know

I used to live in Vegas; need I say more . Unfortunately the crime drove me out (8yrs enough ) . But they never (criminals never got their hands on me or got my money ) thank God !!! About 10 attempts . STAY ALLERT ALWAYS !!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back