Concealed carry to gun shop for repair

jethrodull

If you conceal carry into the gun shop in order to have your handgun serviced, how do you get the gun out of the carry holster without it being "brandished"? Do you have to carry it into the store in a locked box? Thanks,
J

I would carry it in the case it came in. Theres no reason to carry it in a holster to have it serviced.

If you conceal carry into the gun shop in order to have your handgun serviced, how do you get the gun out of the carry holster without it being "brandished"? Do you have to carry it into the store in a locked box? Thanks,
J

Don't you have more than one sidearm that you can conceal carry?
If so, conceal carry the other sidearm and bring the one that needs to be serviced 'unloaded' in a lock box.
If not, then you should probably call the gun shop ahead of time, get a name and ask them what they would prefer you to do.

Most importantly...

If your gun is in need of repair, you probably should not be carrying it.

The whole point of carrying the firearm is that it is in a condition that allows it to be reliably fired in order to save your life when you're out of options. If it's broken, it does NOT meet this requirement.

If your gun is in need of repair, you probably should not be carrying it.

The whole point of carrying the firearm is that it is in a condition that allows it to be reliably fired in order to save your life when you're out of options. If it's broken, it does NOT meet this requirement.
:agree: Damn! I couldn't see the forest for the trees! I was going to say or ask why you would carry a loaded gun into a gun store to get serviced when you would have to remove it from your holster and make it safe= unload it, This would be unnecessary handling, that's when bad things could happen.
I was going to say carry another gun and bring the gun you want work on in the original or another box. If you don't have another gun, then you'll just have to go naked that day which you would end up doing anyway with the likely event it wouldn't be serviced right then and there. Well this makes sense if there was nothing wrong with the gun and say you just wanted new sights.
Phil, you make the obvious point and I looked passed it.
Nice call! Don't carry a gun for protection that doesn't work properly!:no:

Yeah, it would be best to carry another gun and keep the "troubled" one in the box. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of the situation.

i3ugb6_th.jpg
Redundancy
ortfzr_th.jpg
can be your friend.

I frequent a small gun shop so I would just carry it in with the slide locked back assuming its a semi auto. Revolver I would have the cylinder out. Just the way I do things. My gun shop knows me very well.

Agree with outlaw, Phil, and cap.

1 The best thing you could do is call and ask.

2 If the gun is being serviced for reliability/for safety/or because its broken, you should not be carrying it in the first place.

3 If the service is an upgrade (sights, trigger enhancement, mag well etc) refer to advice number 1.

If I need to take a firearm to a gunshop for servicing or to purchase an accessory it goes in the original box unloaded period.

I think it makes exactly zero sense to walk into a store with a loaded gun in the holster that you have to take out, unload and clear, in order to hand it to the guy for repair. I'm sorry, but that's just dumb.

If you don't have another gun, tough, learn to live naked while your only gun is in for repair. Unload and clear the gun at home, put it in a suitable case and go naked till it's fixed. If you don't want to go naked, get another carry gun to have for situations like this.

Can you imagine the responses to a post about how a guy had an ND in the middle of a gun store unloading the carry gun he brought in for repair? Boy would that be ugly.

Fitch

Speaking as someone that's worked behind the counter at a gunshop before, I'd REALLY prefer that you'd carry it in unloaded in a case, box, bag, .... and before you start pulling it out, TELL ME what is going on. (Like, "Hey, I've got a XYZ pistol I need somebody to look at for a repair.") Yes, I work around guns all day. BUT, that doesn't mean I want complete strangers pulling a gun in front of me for no apparent reason. (I, for one, get the urge to pull MY gun what folks start drawing theirs for no apparent reason.) Carrying it in a box, case rug, grocery sack (don't laugh, I've seen it done), wrapped up in a blanket (seen that one, too) or whatever and TELLING THE GUY BEHIND THE COUNTER WHAT'S GOING ON before starting to pull it out is the best way to handle it.

That's funny, I took one of mine to a gun shop for repair and was a little unsure so I just did what came to mind. I unloaded it, put it in a holster and put the holster in a plastic grocery bag because I didn't hat the case for it. I then went in and told the guy at the shop what I needed and asked him if I could get my pistol and show him.

TELLING THE GUY BEHIND THE COUNTER WHAT'S GOING ON before starting to pull it out is the best way to handle it.

Agreed.

For example - I love diving into the used/cheap holster bin, and if I'm out and about I'll often stop by a gunshop on the spur of the moment to do so. It only takes a moment to say hi to the guy or girl behind the counter, chat for a few minutes, and say something like, "Is it ok if I unholster and unload here, to try out some stuff from the holster bin?" Most shops I've been to are ok with it, although a few ask that I go outside to my car and unload there.

Just be communicative, and be cool. :dirol:

If you intend to draw a firearm in a gun store always unload it before you enter. Better yet open the slide/cylinder. Just as it is proper range etiquette to keep your action open when not actively shooting it is certainly appreciated at any gun store. If you bring your pistol in its box and when the guy behind the counter opens the box the slide is locked back he might mistake you for someone with experience.

Good move coming here for advice. Sure beats being remembered in the gun store as the guy who brought in a loaded gun for repair.

If a firearm needs to be serviced it should be considered "out of service" and unloaded in a carrying case is where it belongs.

That is the specific reason why bought another carry gun, so if my primary needs service, I'm not without a ccw. Think I need to buy another 9mm, though. The P3AT I bought is nice, but I prefer the P-11, or a Ruger
LC9.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back