Church Carry

rksap

At a church deacon board meeting I was attending last night, our pastor asked how many of us had concealed carry permits and carried during services. Of the 3 of us, 2 (my son-in-law and I) said that we did and the 3rd board member said that his father-in-law did. You may be thinking that the pastor was going to ask us not to, but on the contrary, he said "That's good, it makes me feel more comfortable about some of the people that have been attending." We then assured him that there were quite a few other church members who carried all the time. I believe he was thinking about the many church shootings in our country over the past few years.

Don't get me wrong, everyone is welcome to attend... just behave yourselves :)

And as someone once said "In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them."

Good for your pastor..
I basically have a don't ask, don't tell approach with my church..
I know of a couple of others who probably carry in church..
There is no restriction in Florida, and the church has not stated any policy against it for the congregation.

When Kansas passed concealed carry back in 2006, in order to get all the legislators on-board, several insisted on placing churches on a "no carry" list of places. But within a few weeks of passage some priests, pastors and rabbis raised objections to being on the list. Shortly afterward the state passed HB 2528 in response to several cities banning concealed carry [even with a license] on city owned property.
Every place on the list of prohibited places, was given the right to opt out by just not posting a sign.
Some churches in Kansas are posted and most are not.

I always carry when I go to Synagogue. During the holiday season (Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur) when we had police providing extra security they were informed by my father who was president that I was armed. I'll admit it didn't hurt that I knew the cops from work, especially since it is Maryland.

Unfortunately, in Ohio church carry is automatically banned by law unless the church approves carrying. And you better get that approval in writing to cover yourself from the flip floppers who later say "I never approved that".

Unfortunately, in Ohio church carry is automatically banned by law unless the church approves carrying. And you better get that approval in writing to cover yourself from the flip floppers who later say "I never approved that".
Fortunately, there is no such ban in PA. I may be paranoid, but you never know who might wander in off the city streets. If you want to worship or learn about God, that is good. But with little kids in the nursery, Sunday School and such, I make it a habit to check that all the side and back doors are locked.
Friendly and welcoming, but still alert.

Fortunately, there is no such ban in PA. I may be paranoid, but you never know who might wander in off the city streets. If you want to worship or learn about God, that is good. But with little kids in the nursery, Sunday School and such, I make it a habit to check that all the side and back doors are locked.
Friendly and welcoming, but still alert.

Not to mention offering taking..
When I am at church, I usually am one of the ones that take offering. I usually bump into the pastor at the beginning of service as I am making sure all of the office doors are locked..
Then I am one of the ones that take the offering into the office after it is taken, and I re-check the doors..

The pastor has told me before that he appreciates me doing this. I have encouraged others to do the same, some do, some don't...

I also usually can be found near the back of the church, so I have a good view of everyone coming and going, etc..

"They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon. For the builders, every one had his sword girded by his side, and so builded."
Nehemiah 4:17,18

"They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon. For the builders, every one had his sword girded by his side, and so builded."
Nehemiah 4:17,18

Good quote. I have used this one on more than one occasion.

Hey Y'all: Always comes down to state law. In SC, you cannot carry in a church UNLESS someone in charge of the activities at the church gives you permission. Not sure how that relates to who is in charge at various times--pastor, congregation president, mens club president during a breakfast etc.

In GA church is considered a public gathering and even though I am exempt (military clause) I choose to just attend church on base (no firearms on base) and I know "Ft Hood" but its a good church. As for when I am in TN that is a different story.

I attend a small church in Alabama. Every Sunday, there are many guns in the pews. including mine. They are concealed of course so as to not be intimidating, but it is openly talked about among the members. My pastor has said several times that if anyone ever came in shooting, he was gonna duck....not in fear from the gunman, but from all the bullets he expects to be raining down on the poor soul!

My church has a no carry policy but I know of those who do anyway. If it's done right, no one knows except the carrier and the Almighty himself. :)

Missouri church carry is banned. Not a felony, just a slap on the wrist and asked to leave. As with other "no carry" zones. But you can carry if you get approval from the presiding church authority.
I don't attend right now. I have some issues with the way things are going on with the churches in my area. But if I do start to attend again I will be carrying. "God don't care how you are dressed, He's just glad you showed up" If I like the church I will speak to the Pastor or Priest about carrying.
I'm Catholic by the way. I don't think a Catholic priest will have a problem with some one protecting the congregation, or the collection.:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back