CCW Incident (Input Please) Continued...

BC1:244839 said:
Those that would give up essential freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom or security. Darwinism does not work for the human race, we have evolved past survival and have a set of morals the rest of the animal kingdom do not have. But since you want to bring up evolution, mutation, natural selection, or survival of the fittest, I have not heard of any animal surviving very long if it waited till the attacker sunk claws or teeth into them. You two need to check your stance on the 2nd amendment. Those that do not want guns and would not throw a punch to get their way are not the problem. It's those that do not want guns except for themselves. The 2nd amendment is an essential freedom, and if you do not want that for your fellow citizen, you do not deserve it either.

As an instructor, everyone holds you to higher moral ground. Calling people rambos, stupid, and chimpanzee's is disrepectful to all the other instructors. I never hear Ayoob or other higher caliber instructors calling their fellow law abiding carriers insulting names, and maybe that is why you will never reach that podium. That's a shame too, because we all have the ability to become something great, but we choose to lower ourselves.

My stance on the second amendment is what the high court interprets it as; as ALL law is. Not your opinion or anyone who likes your post. The second amendment allows that reasonable restrictions may be placed on violent offenders, those with psychiactric disorders, those with mental retardation, those who pose a grave danger to others. I'm not losing my life on that firing line.

Now I posted a thread some time ago about a student that had to be removed from my range for looking down the barrel of his gun, twice. Roughly 75 responders, most of them instructors, advised I was too lenient. Some even thought I should have had the permit pulled. I didn't do that. In fact I stopped his arrest by one of my instructors so he wouldn't lose his permit. Even NavyLtCmdr thought I was too lenient (an opinion I value highly). I only hope someday I don't hear he looked down the barrel and unintentionally shot himself. Some USA Carry posters were present in that class. Have a read --> http://www.usacarry.com/forums/inst...had-remove-student-today-opinions-sought.html

The truth is that some ARE Rambos, some lack dexterity to the point of danger, some are destructive. So an instructor can't say it? I'll tell you what... become an instructor, teach tactical and PP classes for a few years and then respond based on experience. After a few years as a trainer you'll see more wacky behavior than one might believe. Mistakes can be corrected. Flakes cannot. All of our instructors are required to wear a vest for a reason. As the Chief RSO at my facility, I can't always be present to watch things. It's a "HOT" range and is "self-policed." When the grounds are empty, the Rambos and those without a brain shoot out the range spotlights, electrical boxes, distance markers and range rule signs. Many days I arrive to find glass bottles shot all over the infield. They hammer the pistol target stands with OO bucksot blasting the frames to hell. The behavior is dangerous, it's destructive, it's costly, it's illegal, it causes the grounds crew a lot of work.

I don't care much what anyone thinks of my comment... it stands... and we have the holes in the wall to prove it. I have to stand on that range and train people. I'm not getting shot by someone with repeated safety violations. I'm not putting my instructors in harm's way either. And to go a step farther, when my instructor sees repeated gross safety violations despite corrective measures, he is instructed to pull the student. If there's any show of anger or crazy behavior when the student is dismissed the gun will be taken and an arrest may be effected. Period. Are you kidding? Instructors can't fool around with this stuff or we'll be taking a dirt nap. Chen, all my students are treated with respect on the range and in my classrooms. We take lengthy steps to ensure everyone masters the skills and drills. But see, this is a chat board, not the range. We're allowed to have a little fun here.

BTW, in years passed I took two classes at LFI, one with Mas. Neglingently discharge one in his class and you're gone.

Thank you for a well thought out post. I didn't want to reply rashly and so late, so i spent the night thinking about my response and this is what I have come to.

The 2nd amendment does not allow any reasonable restrictions. The higher courts have stated in Heller and McDonald that it is an individuals right and choice to carry a firearm. I believe in, "shall not be infringed." Convicted violent offenders lost that right, and all their others rights when they were convicted. As for the other two groups, phsyciatric and retardation, they account for such an insignifcant percentage of firearm owners and firearm incidents, trying to reasonably restrict firearms for them only hinders the majority of us without having a significant affect on the problem. Look at Virginia Tech. They thought it was common sense that students shouldn't have guns, and so they reasonably regulated it. Did it stop a phsyciatric patient from starting a killing spree? No. Who did it stop? The law abiding carrying students. It is a slippery slope to regulate a God given right.

Safety and insulting are not related. There is nothing wrong with you being safe, and keeping your instructors safe. This however does not excuse lowering yourself to insulting. You know there are irresponsible people in this world, you know how to deal with them. You were right to kick out the person who looked down his barrel twice. You would be right to kick out anyone that was acting unsafe at your range. If in your class you feel a student has made a mistake that is correctable, then you will instruct them. If you feel they have made a dangerous mistake repeatedly with no indication they will become safe, then yes you should kick them out. Is it wrong to bring them up as a point on dangerous gun handling? No, it's a great example to teach your students the importance of safety. Yes this is a chat board, but do any of those reasons excuse insulting? Does insulting help anyone improve anywhere? Maybe belittling is fun for you, but it is not fun for me. I can only imagine what it would be like to sit near a table with you instructors as you were talking about the destructive behaviour. If I heard you guys talking about irresponsible gun owners and their destructive behaviour, and how you were going to try and find out who it was and try to stop it, I would assume you were a respectful person. If I heard you talk about the stupid chimpanzee's making a mess of the place, my view would be much lower. Now I do not know you in real life, and you stated this is a chat board, and I would hope you do not speak exactly the same in person as you did here. I try and speak the same here as I would face to face.

While I do not instruct firearms, or train formally as much as I would want, I have instructed and trained in fire and rescue for a long time. Both our professions involve life and death situations. I too have come across irresponsible fire fighters. I hold a much higher respect for those that can instruct, which includes criticism, without having to lower themselves to insulting. What happens to a fire fighter that practices dangerously after being repeatedly told otherwise? The same as your students, they get booted. What happens after that in my class? We move on to what's important, improving. Those that can't get past insulting remind me of those that can't talk without swearing every 3rd word.

To tie this back into the OP. I see a lot of flak going towards the OP becuase he escalated the situation by drawing his firearm. How does insulting help de escalate a situation? If people have no problem insulting their students or fellow law abiding carriers, what is going to hold them back from insulting a low life criminal? Should the OP have told the guy charging him he is a stupid chimp that is obviously compensating for something? I come onto this board to have fun and post my opinion, but more importantly I come here to learn, and hope that some of my life lessons and knowledge can help someone else learn. I just hope those that come here to learn don't read insulting remarks and feel that it is ok to insult those that are offending them, and then take it out into the real world.

If you've had that many "self defense" situations at that age then you need think more about your judgement than getting a proper holster. Stop putting yourself in those situations.

Thank you for a well thought out post. I didn't want to reply rashly and so late, so i spent the night thinking about my response and this is what I have come to.

The 2nd amendment does not allow any reasonable restrictions. The higher courts have stated in Heller and McDonald that it is an individuals right and choice to carry a firearm. I believe in, "shall not be infringed." Convicted violent offenders lost that right, and all their others rights when they were convicted. As for the other two groups, phsyciatric and retardation, they account for such an insignifcant percentage of firearm owners and firearm incidents, trying to reasonably restrict firearms for them only hinders the majority of us without having a significant affect on the problem. Look at Virginia Tech. They thought it was common sense that students shouldn't have guns, and so they reasonably regulated it. Did it stop a phsyciatric patient from starting a killing spree? No. Who did it stop? The law abiding carrying students. It is a slippery slope to regulate a God given right.

Safety and insulting are not related. There is nothing wrong with you being safe, and keeping your instructors safe. This however does not excuse lowering yourself to insulting. You know there are irresponsible people in this world, you know how to deal with them. You were right to kick out the person who looked down his barrel twice. You would be right to kick out anyone that was acting unsafe at your range. If in your class you feel a student has made a mistake that is correctable, then you will instruct them. If you feel they have made a dangerous mistake repeatedly with no indication they will become safe, then yes you should kick them out. Is it wrong to bring them up as a point on dangerous gun handling? No, it's a great example to teach your students the importance of safety. Yes this is a chat board, but do any of those reasons excuse insulting? Does insulting help anyone improve anywhere? Maybe belittling is fun for you, but it is not fun for me. I can only imagine what it would be like to sit near a table with you instructors as you were talking about the destructive behaviour. If I heard you guys talking about irresponsible gun owners and their destructive behaviour, and how you were going to try and find out who it was and try to stop it, I would assume you were a respectful person. If I heard you talk about the stupid chimpanzee's making a mess of the place, my view would be much lower. Now I do not know you in real life, and you stated this is a chat board, and I would hope you do not speak exactly the same in person as you did here. I try and speak the same here as I would face to face.

While I do not instruct firearms, or train formally as much as I would want, I have instructed and trained in fire and rescue for a long time. Both our professions involve life and death situations. I too have come across irresponsible fire fighters. I hold a much higher respect for those that can instruct, which includes criticism, without having to lower themselves to insulting. What happens to a fire fighter that practices dangerously after being repeatedly told otherwise? The same as your students, they get booted. What happens after that in my class? We move on to what's important, improving. Those that can't get past insulting remind me of those that can't talk without swearing every 3rd word.

To tie this back into the OP. I see a lot of flak going towards the OP becuase he escalated the situation by drawing his firearm. How does insulting help de escalate a situation? If people have no problem insulting their students or fellow law abiding carriers, what is going to hold them back from insulting a low life criminal? Should the OP have told the guy charging him he is a stupid chimp that is obviously compensating for something? I come onto this board to have fun and post my opinion, but more importantly I come here to learn, and hope that some of my life lessons and knowledge can help someone else learn. I just hope those that come here to learn don't read insulting remarks and feel that it is ok to insult those that are offending them, and then take it out into the real world.

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. If we ask nicely, I'm sure the OP will let us know how things worked out the next time he has a violent confrontation like this. :rolleyes:

Chen, the chimp in oversized sneakers was me. Did you know that? I won't bore posters with the story behind it but it was funny. Thanks for defending me from myself though. Now as far as stupid? Darwinism is alive and well at the range. As far as Rambo? Just look at some of the posts on this site alone. Tell me you don't read some absolutely crazy stuff. This behavior extends to the range.

So now an instructor can't joke around about the wackos off the range without someone pulling political correctness out of the crapper. Just about the ONLY person who CAN make such jokes are the instructors and range officers that put themselves in harm's way so shooters can learn and be licensed. Your argument is like watching a healthy person make handicapped jokes. You gotta be handicapped
to understand.

Look at my posts. I don't belittle anyone. Always respectful posts. Never presume to understand a man's nature or anything about him. And don't play with matches ;-)

The higher courts have stated in Heller and McDonald that it is an individuals right and choice to carry a firearm.

Not to be nitpicky, but Heller affirmed that it is an individual right to possess a firearm. The SCOTUS stopped short of affirming the right to carry.

And McDonald affirmed that the 2nd amendment applies at the state level, as well as the Federal level. Again, it did not address the right to carry.

Not to be nitpicky, but Heller affirmed that it is an individual right to possess a firearm. The SCOTUS stopped short of affirming the right to carry.

And McDonald affirmed that the 2nd amendment applies at the state level, as well as the Federal level. Again, it did not address the right to carry.
Exactly. Billwot understands the high court's decision. For example, in NYC you can get a permit to own a handgun. Can't carry it though. They are not in violation of the second because they don't deny the right to posses/own the firearm. Now Bloomburg would love to eliminate ownership but he's smart enough to know that action steps over the line.

"Originally Posted by Firefighterchen: The higher courts have stated in Heller and McDonald that it is an individuals right and choice to carry a firearm."

Such a statement is pure ignorance. That's why guys like you crack me up. Not only don't they know their local laws regarding use of force, they're even clueless about the big decisions.

How was he threatening you? If he said he was going to ''kill'' you then drawing would be your next course of action. I would have told my friend to get on the phone with 911 right then and there. I'm sure if they would've called first and the police arrived on the scene things might have went better.

I always carry my permit as it's the law where I live. I don't know why you didn't have your CCP on you I don't think anybody on here leaves the house with out theirs. I keep mine in my wallet and never leave the house with out it as it has my Driver's license in it which I also need with me at all times when I carry.

In conclusion, I would've called the cops told them what was going on and that I have a permit to carry and if he kept coming or grabbed a weapon I would've told him not to move til the police arrive. If he kept coming I would've pulled the trigger and asked the gas station attendant if what happened was on tape so it could be used as evidence and told my friends to stick around as witnesses.

I'm 21, some people may think I'm dumb or a ''thug'' but my safety is a number 1 priority. Like others have said I'd rather be in debt or in jail then dead. Also, I have no experience in hand to hand combat or karate like the OP states. If he really has all this training why would you have pulled your pistol? Sounds like your lazy in wanting to deliver a good as whooping or you wanted to show off for somebody.

Where do you live that the cops are that bent? A convicted felon wins out in words when he has a history of this? You must be saying the wrong thing.

BC1:245100 said:
Chen, the chimp in oversized sneakers was me. Did you know that? I won't bore posters with the story behind it but it was funny. Thanks for defending me from myself though. Now as far as stupid? Darwinism is alive and well at the range. As far as Rambo? Just look at some of the posts on this site alone. Tell me you don't read some absolutely crazy stuff. This behavior extends to the range.

So now an instructor can't joke around about the wackos off the range without someone pulling political correctness out of the crapper. Just about the ONLY person who CAN make such jokes are the instructors and range officers that put themselves in harm's way so shooters can learn and be licensed. Your argument is like watching a healthy person make handicapped jokes. You gotta be handicapped
to understand.

Look at my posts. I don't belittle anyone. Always respectful posts. Never presume to understand a man's nature or anything about him. And don't play with matches ;-)

Sorry took me so long to reply, been really busy, and have had only a few short instances that I needed to update some other posts on here. I don't subscribe to insulting, even if it includes yourself. Darwinism is not about stupidity. Rambos, i see a lot of them on chatboards, specifically one in green. Out on the range? No not really, I just see amateur gun owners that need a good lesson or two.

I feel there is no room in this world for that negativity, especially coming from the group that has decided to be politely armed. How many students does your classes usually have compared to instructors? Everytime a student does something dangerous in your class, he is putting everyone in danger, not just you and the other instructors.

Your analogy of my argument, is that like a black person calling another black person a n***er? I would have to be black to understand? Or maybe, I don't have to be black to know it's not right.

I believe your remarks (even if at first when I did not know that they were an autobiography) was belittling, and I feel you don't deserve that from anyone. I agree your posts are very respectful, unlike another person on this thread. The message you are portraying is one of disrespect though.

An instructor can joke, can laugh, can have a good time. I do not believe an instructor should be insulting. There is a distinction. I can not presume anything about your character other than the words you have chosen to represent yourself with.

billwot:245302 said:
The higher courts have stated in Heller and McDonald that it is an individuals right and choice to carry a firearm.

Thank you for the legal check. I will have to do more research and understanding. My question is, possess? Is to possess the same as to own? Or can you own an object without having possession of it? NYC is infringing on the 2A in my mind. But I will do more research on how bad the SCOTUS has screwed up the bill of rights and get back to you.

To bill and BC. Listen to your enemy, for he will point out your faults. You guys are not my enemy, but it will be guys like you that make me a more knowledgable person.

To Agent Green. It's time to grow up. Do you know where I live and what my local laws are? Do you know if I have or do not have a castle doctrine? Do you know if I live in a city or rural setting? Can you see past the bright screen a few feet in front of you? Can you learn something from BC and Bill, or at least stop posting nonsense.

RJ_Whitlock:245895 said:
Where do you live that the cops are that bent? A convicted felon wins out in words when he has a history of this? You must be saying the wrong thing.

I dont think they knew of the aggressors criminal history until the court date, or at earliest a later date than the incident. That is something the OP can chime in on.

I dont think they knew of the aggressors criminal history until the court date, or at earliest a later date than the incident. That is something the OP can chime in on.

They should of, I know around here they always run your info to make sure you don't have any warrants that's just procedure. His rap sheet should have came up on their vehicle computer.

This thread sounds like a bunch of BS OP is Troll!

alas ----------------------------------

i think we are beating a dead dog on this one
you were not physical attacked
you should not kill people who
are rude to you that is not nice
that is called murder - deadly force
is only justified in inanimate danger
not because one is scared, you had out
but did not act on them - i thunk you
lucked out that this gentleman did not sue
you if he was armed and you puled your gun first
he could shot and killed you and got away with it