CCW Incident (Input Please) Continued...

milesihrig

Ok i think a lot of people are misunderstand the situation that happened... it seems like people are thinking this is a case of road rage where the attacker was making verbal threats and i pulled out my gun... this is not the case...

it is in a bad neighborhood... i did not arrange a meeting with my friend in a bad neighboorhood to discuss our weekends events... i just purchased some flag poles for a 9/11 memorial parade for my truck at the home depot and saw my friend down the road on the way home getting gas so i pulled in next to him to talk.

2) this thug pulled his truck in behind me, blocking me in so i was unable to get back into my truck and leave... he had one intention and that was to fight me for some unknown reason as i never seen him before...

3) now people say fight and dont think lethal... let me tell you guys about fights around here..

my ccw instructor now has a disease from a self defense incident where an attacker bit him... not something i want to carry and pass on to my future children

yes, i am a martial artist... i have luckly defended myself against mulitple unarmed attackers and walked away with minimul injuries, delivering mulitple sing blow knockouts... but heres how you have to look at it... if i can do it, so can anybody else... a lot of people grow up on the streets and are in street fights weekly, attend boxing "acadamies" or participate in MMA groups... i have never had to fight one of these people but i have seen fights on the street with people who are skilled with boxing and mma techniques that have left people near dead.

I have have a group of gang members come up and try to attack me.. at first was a fight 4 of them against me and a friend, but then the one guy pulled a knife on me at the last second... luckly for me his friend cooled him down and they left.

i have seen a fist fight between my previous neighbor (senior citizen) and some thug a few years back where i pulled over in my car and called the police... before the police got there, 3 of the thugs friends came running down the street with there pit pull, hit the old man from behind and started attacking him as he lied defenseless on the ground... it was not a situation i wanted to get into but sometimes you have to follow what feels best... luckly they stopped the attack when i got out..

these are just some of the incidents that has happened to me or i have seen in the past and they are factors that you think about when someone is attacking you. The fact of the matter is someone is attacking you, trying to cause you physical harm, and you have no idea of there fighting skill level, if there armed, or what the outcome will be... after this sitation, one of my ccw instructors who stands behind me on what i did said, well look at it this way miles... you paid 3000 dollars in lawyer fees and not 6 grand in medicial bills.

Back to the incident... after the driver blocked my truck in with his, he got out of the car and started making threats... i did not think anything about it... people run there mouths all the time and most of them thats all they do... After seeing that this person was becoming more and more aggressive i began to see that this could become dangerous... Now lets remind everyone of the 21 foot rule... when this person was yelling making threats to hurt me, he was about 15 feet away... he was approaching closer and closer as he made more threats... i warned him to stay back...about 10 feet away he began to charge at me... this is when i pulled my weapon and ordered him back into the truck, after mulitple times trying to tell him nobody is fighting you, then further warning not to come any closer. Seeing that this person blocked in my truck, was making threats to cause physical harm to me, and him charging at me told me this person was going to try to hurt me.

Yes my friend was next to me, as well as his pregnant fiance and his little sister... I wasnt going to rely on him to help me... not to mention you dont know the attackers skill level... i have myself, as well as seen others hold there own against multiple attackers (both good and bad people)... what is to say that this person doesnt have the same skill level or is more experienced in fighting...

this isnt a martial arts ring... there is no referee and no rules... now i have spent years training as realistic as possible, and have came out on top and sent to the hospital before in the 5 self defense situations i have been in... the point is these people that are attacking you... fighting and attacking is there everyday life... they have no regard for human life... they want to do one thing and that is hurt you and will no hesitiate in doing so. as i later found out, this person attacking me did have a rap sheet of felenious assualt and domestic violence.

drug use? people using steriods or pcp have superior anger, aggression, and strength...

there are so many unknown factors of attackers that you dont know and at the last minute could cause you lethal harm. for me the best thing you can do is avoid a fight.. if you cant avoid one, do what you have to to know that you come out alive...

now a person, who did not have the amount of training i had, very well could of shot this person... if he keeps attacking people like he has a rap sheet of doing, he may someday attack someone with a gun that makes that mistake of pulling the trigger...

in ohio, there is no brandishing law... ive spoken with 3 lawyers, and my ccw instructors to verify it and you are able to brandish your pistol to scare an attacker away.

Court result...

The attacker, who is the type of person who does not believe in the court system but rather make threats to find me on the street and get me as he said that night, did not show up to court after pressing charges... After explaining to the judge my side of the story and him not showing up after signing the returned subpeona, The M1 Aggrevated menacing charge was thrown out.

My lawyer spoke with the two arresting officers that showed up in court... After talking with them, we set a trail date for a few weeks from now for the CCW charge, however they aggreed that if i can show proof that i had a valid CCW permit during the date of the incident, that they would drop the charge to a minor misdemaor that i can pay out. i do not understand because the night of the arrest, as soon as they ran my license plate they knew that i was a valid permit holder.

After the plea aggrement and paying out fines in a few weeks, my property will be returned to me, CCW reinstated, and my bail money refunded.

Like one of my CCW instructors said, better 3 grand in lawyer fees then 3 grand in medical bills.

What ive learned from this...

1) I will tattoo a copy of my license onto my back if i have to... i will never go anywhere without it again (even though the police knew i was a permit holder).

2) Better holster... I will not get a retention holster... i use them for the range but will not use them for self defense... for whatever reason your situation awareness is caught off gaurd and you are attacked, the last thing you want is a something preventing you from getting your gun... i will get a better fitting holster that holds the gun tighter, but not a retention.

3) as stated, i usually do carry pepper spray on me... Yes i am a black belt, but if you can avoid having a punch or kick being thrown at you with pepper spray keeping your distance, its better then having to physically defense yourself with your body... if this person was on drugs or impaired, it maybe wouldnt of affected him but it certianly doesnt hurt.

So this is the outcome of what happen... i greatly appreciate everyones responses (both positive and negative towards my defense) but i stood behind my training and what i did 100 percent, and i know that i am still here today... 3000 dollars in debt from it but i could of been in the hospital or 6 feet under.

Holy cow, if you can brandish in Ohio and get away with it rock on, once its pulled are you prepared to shoot to stop or would you have used your Marshall arts? In Florida our CCW instructor ex CIA said run away from an attacker and scream while your running...pulling your side arm is a LAST resort! If you pull it use it ? Too many bad things happen when a firearm is pulled even if the good guy wins?

At least you're going to get your stuff back as well as your right to CC.

I see several problems with what you did from a legal standpoint although I don't necessarily agree with them.

1. The "good guys" outnumbered the bad guy 2:1 (it was you and your friend vs him)
2. The BG did not have a weapon other than his bare hands
3. You're not a woman, senior citizen, or disabled in any way.

I don't blame you at all for what you did but it's the court's opinion that matters, not mine. I've always said "better to be alive and answering questions than be dead and silent". The 3 points listed above all work against you. Being a large, healthy male I'm kind of in the same boat as you - I could only use a pistol to confront a threat if that threat was a no-doubt-about-it wielder of a deadly weapon. No "maybe" threats, no "could be" threats. If at all possible I call 911...at least that shows I have a fear of being a victim in a particular situation.

Holy cow, if you can brandish in Ohio and get away with it rock on, once its pulled are you prepared to shoot to stop or would you have used your Marshall arts? In Florida our CCW instructor ex CIA said run away from an attacker and scream while your running...pulling your side arm is a LAST resort! If you pull it use it ? Too many bad things happen when a firearm is pulled even if the good guy wins?

in advanced ccw courses, we have trained to run away, or as a last resort and having to engage in phyiscal counter attack, reholster our weapon the same way a police officer would and keep your back side away and use counter attackers until able to run away

At least you're going to get your stuff back as well as your right to CC.

I see several problems with what you did from a legal standpoint although I don't necessarily agree with them.

1. The "good guys" outnumbered the bad guy 2:1 (it was you and your friend vs him)
2. The BG did not have a weapon other than his bare hands
3. You're not a woman, senior citizen, or disabled in any way.

I don't blame you at all for what you did but it's the court's opinion that matters, not mine. The 3 points listed above all work against you. Being a large, healthy male I'm kind of in the same boat as you - I could only use a pistol to confront a threat if that threat was a no-doubt-about-it wielder of a deadly weapon. No "maybe" threats, no "could be" threats. If at all possible I call 911...at least that shows I have a fear of being a victim in a particular situation.

from your view, me being young, health, large, etc.. maybe a superior force... however you have to look at it.. there are trained fighters on the street who fight 3 or 4 people at once... my martial arts instructor is legally blind 54 year old male, stands 5 '2 and is overweight... but he can whoop my ass... never judge a book by its cover because you never know whats on the first page... this says the both for good and bad guys...

i did not see a weapon on the BG, but he was wearing baggy clothing... its not uncommon for people to carry weapons and use them where i live... the person who pulls out a weapon is not the one who is going to use it... its the person that sneaks up on you at the last minute, pulls it out, and stabs or shoots you that you have to worry about...

in this situation, it was better that my best defense was a good offense, because my defense could of been too late when this person threw a punch with one hand, pulled a knife from under his shirt and stabbed me with the other...

Glad it worked out for you. Ya, it cost some money. But so what. That's minor.

I read most of the negative reply's to your other thread. Unless your wearing the boots on the ground. You can't say to the exact situation.
Myself,,,, I'm not getting in a physical altercation with some thug in a parking lot over "nothing" when I have a loaded gun in my belt. I'm not getting killed with my own gun.
Anyone that starts crap like you mentioned, is nothing more then a low life thug.
Sorry, I don't want to play.

I hear ya. I was strictly thinking as said above from a legal stand point, don't get me wrong id rather be alive in jail than dead at the gas station! I just know and have been taught that the rules are set up for the BG's in these situations...run away, scream, yell fire, yell help, call 911 at least then you have set up a good legal defense if necessary...glad you and your friends came out in scathed :)

1) Your entire story smells more like BS by the minute.

2) If true I remain convinced you shouldn't be allowed to carry anything more dangerous than a broken condom.

3) You're too verbose. The kind of person who when asked what time it is explains how to build a clock. No wonder you blabbed to the cops.

4) You know as much about Ohio CCW law as you do the proper way to carry the damn thing.

5) 4) You're waaaay too full of yourself.

Personally I think you're a troll and not a very good one at that...

I'm glad you didn't get bent over but the facts are still facts. I spent most of my life on hilltop in tacoma Washington, an area where you can't sell malt liquor and las Vegas the last few years. I know about bad areas. I still have a hard time believing this guy was some hardcore thug considering not only did he call the cops, which thugs don't do, but the arresting officers took his word over you. Why? There's gotta be a reason.

I'm not trying to be a troll or attack you, I just think as a ccw holder you should know better. Stop saying well my instructor said this and that and just take responsibility. Use common sense and take a friggin punch or two before pulling next time and ONLY if you know you're going down and he might stomp you. Sounds stupid right? Why should I allow myself to get hit? Because that's the law. Unarmed attackers are not the easiest to be shown as deadly threats

and have came out on top and sent to the hospital before in the 5 self defense situations i have been in...

You mentioned you are young. How old are you? You've been in 5 self defense situations? I'd bet most people go their entire life without getting into any- never mind 5. Just sayin'.....

I hear ya. I was strictly thinking as said above from a legal stand point, don't get me wrong id rather be alive in jail than dead at the gas station! I just know and have been taught that the rules are set up for the BG's in these situations...run away, scream, yell fire, yell help, call 911 at least then you have set up a good legal defense if necessary...glad you and your friends came out in scathed :)

i use to say i would rather be alive in jail then dead at a gas station, but after spended 25 hours in hamilton county jail (never been to jail before)... well lets say 12 hours in i was thinking about sucide if i wasnt able to be bailed out... 80 percent of the people in there are wild animals that dont deserve to live in America.

They are still set up for the bad guy... but it took the police 6 minutes to reply to a gun call... imagine how long it would take for them to show up to... "some man is yelling at me in the parking lot making threats"... i carry a gun because a cop is to heavy to fit on my belt.. there not always there to protect you... even if they responed in those 6 minutes from the phone call ( 10 minutes from the start of the conflict).. at 4 minutes in this person came at me and tryed to attack me resulting in my pulling my firearm... i didnt want to kill this person but i didnt want to get hurt or killed myself... so i did what was legal in ohio to stop the attack...

but pepper spray will definitly be in my aresonal from now on...

thanks for the response

It appears to me that VIOLENCE seems to follow you around! I am 6'3" about 220 and have'nt needed to fight since highschool. Do you wear a sign that says kick me?

You mentioned you are young. How old are you? You've been in 5 self defense situations? I'd bet most people go their entire life without getting into any- never mind 5. Just sayin'.....

i am 23 years old... live in a part of town that is fastly going down hill... even the nice parts of town there are still some bad people there and they always start trouble..

self defense i dont mean i pulled out my gun, but had to phyiscally defend myself or friends against mulitple or armed attackers

It appears to me that VIOLENCE seems to follow you around! I am 6'3" about 220 and have'nt needed to fight since highschool. Do you wear a sign that says kick me?

lol i sometimes wonder that... like i said previously i use my martial arts training by using my mind and 90 percent of the time i can deesclade a situation or walk away without any phyiscal harm being caused to me or an attacker, but sometimes you have people that just want to attack you... cincinnati is not a place you want to live

from your view, me being young, health, large, etc.. maybe a superior force... however you have to look at it.. there are trained fighters on the street who fight 3 or 4 people at once... my martial arts instructor is legally blind 54 year old male, stands 5 '2 and is overweight... but he can whoop my ass... never judge a book by its cover because you never know whats on the first page... this says the both for good and bad guys...

i did not see a weapon on the BG, but he was wearing baggy clothing... its not uncommon for people to carry weapons and use them where i live... the person who pulls out a weapon is not the one who is going to use it... its the person that sneaks up on you at the last minute, pulls it out, and stabs or shoots you that you have to worry about...

in this situation, it was better that my best defense was a good offense, because my defense could of been too late when this person threw a punch with one hand, pulled a knife from under his shirt and stabbed me with the other...

I agree with most, if not all of your points. But as I said in my first response...it's what the courts look at. That's what I was pointing out. We can assume whatever we want about a threat - that he's got a concealed weapon, that he's a trained fighter, etc., but if we act on those assumptions and they turn out to be false, we could be in a lot of trouble. If you had shot him and the police found no weapon on him....you'd be in jail right now on some pretty serious charges. In a case like that the courts really don't give a rat's ass what you assumed or thought. They're interested in the reality of the situation.

You've experienced a nightmare scenario that has been discussed on these boards before - you draw your weapon out of a legitimate fear for your safety, the perp backs off, then the perp calls the cops on you. Many people on these boards have pointed out that, in a situation where you draw you gun, it's best to call the police and give them a full account even if the situation is defused. It reinforces your position as the law-abiding citizen as well as being the (near) victim.

I'm glad you didn't get bent over but the facts are still facts. I spent most of my life on hilltop in tacoma Washington, an area where you can't sell malt liquor and las Vegas the last few years. I know about bad areas. I still have a hard time believing this guy was some hardcore thug considering not only did he call the cops, which thugs don't do, but the arresting officers took his word over you. Why? There's gotta be a reason.

the reason being is there is politics behind it... this thug obviously knows how to use the system in his favor as hes delt with it several times... the officers cant let someone pull a gun on there township and let it go without an arrest being made.. if so then the other punks around here can think they all can start pulling out guns left and right

the reason being is there is politics behind it... this thug obviously knows how to use the system in his favor as hes delt with it several times... the officers cant let someone pull a gun on there township and let it go without an arrest being made.. if so then the other punks around here can think they all can start pulling out guns left and right

and you tell me to take a hit or too... people around here are experience fighters that can deliver one hit knockouts to mulitple attackers.. i dont know this persons skill level... im not going to give him the chance to throw a few punches and maybe knock me out and attack me while im unconcsious... would that then be legal to use my firearm.. yes... would i be able to if i was laying uncomnsious on the ground being attack?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back