CCW holder riding in passages seat.

wolsey737

If I am the passenger and we get pulled over do I need to inform the officer that I am carryingz

If it's a "must notify" state, I would just as a courtesy. If the LEO asks you any questions in the line of duty, then in my state, you must notify immediately regardless of whether or not you're the driver.

Depends on the state. I know now in Illinois, if they ask about weapons, anyone in the vehicle carrying has to say they are.

Check your state laws!

In SC, if the LEO addresses you directly and asks for your ID you have to notify; otherwise you don't.

I'll add that most of the LEOs in my neck of the woods are CC friendly. They aren't interested in your firearm as long as you are not creating problems. If the officer is only interested in the driver for a traffic violation, they usually don't care that a passenger may be a CWP holder unless that passenger is acting nervous or strange.

All that being said; I always keep my wallet and ID "out" on the dash or some other place jic I get stopped. It doesn't matter if I'm the driver or a passenger; I don't want to appear to be digging or fumbling around for anything should I get stopped. I think any unnecessary actions or responses to an LEO that has stopped you or someone you're with only helps to alert the officer to potential trouble.

-

In Ohio the passenger is REQUIRED BY LAW to inform.

If a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as the result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun

Link Removed

Thanks guys. We are driving from Ohio to Alabama.

You will need to look at the law in all the states you'll be traveling through. Go here and do a little research; then print out the relevant statutes.

Link Removed

Kentucky - Tennessee - Alabama (It looks like there is "No" duty to inform in these other three states.)

Please be aware that there may be other CC laws you may also need to be aware of before you travel.

-

Thanks guys. We are driving from Ohio to Alabama.

I would answer NO you do NOT have to tell you are armed since you obviously do not have a CHL license and are simply carrying illegally.

If somehow you DO have a CHL license from somewhere in Ohio, PLEASE list the instructor's name and phone no. so he can be reported to NRA as incompetent!

Remember - just because information is given doesn't mean it was retained past the test, intentional or otherwise.

If I am the passenger and we get pulled over do I need to inform the officer that I am carryingz
PURELY a state and or local matter.

Ohio requires that ANYONE "stopped for a law enforcement purpose" notify in a "timely" (not defined in the law) manner, IF AND ONLY IF ARMED. If you're in a car that's pulled over, that means that EVERYBODY in that vehicle who has an Ohio CHL or recognized equivalent AND who is armed, needs to notify INDIVIDUALLY. Furthermore, EVERY time an LEO who was not previously notified makes contact with ANY of the occupants of the vehicle during that stop, EVERYBODY lawfully carrying needs to notify again.

Were I in a state (and or local jurisdiction) which does not require notification, I would NOT do so, whether as a driver or passenger.

If it's a "must notify" state, I would just as a courtesy. If the LEO asks you any questions in the line of duty, then in my state, you must notify immediately regardless of whether or not you're the driver.
If it's a "must notify" state it's NOT a "courtesy". It's the LAW. I recommend that everyone obey the LAW, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't do "courtesies". I do obedience to relevant statute.

If somehow you DO have a CHL license from somewhere in Ohio, PLEASE list the instructor's name and phone no. so he can be reported to NRA as incompetent!

Really? So every instructor is supposed to cover every possible legal situation? Let's see, what if I am carrying in an RV that someone else is driving, and I am in the back eating a sandwich and they get stopped for something.

Or what if I am a truck driver and I am asleep in the sleeper with a loaded handgun readily accessible and the driver gets stopped?

Just because an instructor did not cover one particular possible scenario does not make them incompetent. Just like not every police officer could possibly know every single criminal law in their jurisdiction - that does not make them incompetent.

Really? So every instructor is supposed to cover every possible legal situation? Let's see, what if I am carrying in an RV that someone else is driving, and I am in the back eating a sandwich and they get stopped for something.

Or what if I am a truck driver and I am asleep in the sleeper with a loaded handgun readily accessible and the driver gets stopped?

Just because an instructor did not cover one particular possible scenario does not make them incompetent. Just like not every police officer could possibly know every single criminal law in their jurisdiction - that does not make them incompetent.

Yes, really.

The OP was not asleep in a truck sleeper, nor was he eating a sandwich in the back of an RV: he clearly stated he was a passenger in a car pulled over.

Here in Ohio, we are a must inform state. This is probably the most repeated and most basic 101 of CHL class in Ohio and thus repeated over and over. It is written in multiple places in our state attorney's official CHL handbook given to every CHL candidate. If this OP came away without this knowledge thoroughly embedded in his mind then he either did not go through the class or the instructor needs to be stopped. I stand by my comment.

....If you're in a car that's pulled over, that means that EVERYBODY in that vehicle who has an Ohio CHL or recognized equivalent AND who is armed, needs to notify INDIVIDUALLY. Furthermore, EVERY time an LEO who was not previously notified makes contact with ANY of the occupants of the vehicle during that stop, EVERYBODY lawfully carrying needs to notify again.....
Deanimator may remember this, but a couple of years ago an Ohio concealed carry association both he and I are affiliated with were trying to maximize attendance at an event. There was an effort to arrange vans, and in some cases possibly even small buses, to transport members of the organization to the location of the event. Someone on the forums made a post that he'd love to see the cop that pulled one of those vans or buses over when he had to be notified by each and every person in the vehicle. That cop would have been standing there listening to notifications for several minutes.

Yes, really.

The OP was not asleep in a truck sleeper, nor was he eating a sandwich in the back of an RV: he clearly stated he was a passenger in a car pulled over.

Here in Ohio, we are a must inform state. This is probably the most repeated and most basic 101 of CHL class in Ohio and thus repeated over and over. It is written in multiple places in our state attorney's official CHL handbook given to every CHL candidate. If this OP came away without this knowledge thoroughly embedded in his mind then he either did not go through the class or the instructor needs to be stopped. I stand by my comment.

I'm a teacher. I have repeated many things in class for the students to remember. Funny thing, on test day, not all of them do. Hmmm, this must be my fault. I'll try to become a better teacher. Thank you for your sage advice.

-- sarcasm was used above for the ill-informed​ ---

Deanimator may remember this, but a couple of years ago an Ohio concealed carry association both he and I are affiliated with were trying to maximize attendance at an event. There was an effort to arrange vans, and in some cases possibly even small buses, to transport members of the organization to the location of the event. Someone on the forums made a post that he'd love to see the cop that pulled one of those vans or buses over when he had to be notified by each and every person in the vehicle. That cop would have been standing there listening to notifications for several minutes.
They wanted mandatory notification. I say give it to them good and hard! :biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back