Castle Laws and Stand Your Ground Laws

agrippakc

Just a friendly reminder that many States are bringing their legislative bodies into session and of course that means that our annual "keep an eye on the law makers" job is in effect. Keep tabs on any legislation that might get slipped into bills and such that might affect your right to defend your self and your home. Don't get lazy and assume that because it is the law today that it will be the law tomorrow.

Here are some links for the people of Kansas:

This is the Kansas Legislature site:

Welcome | Kansas State Legislature

Link to Kansas Statutes concerning use of force:

KS Statutes: Ch 21 Article 32: Principles Of Criminal Liability

Link to Kansas' current CCW law:

KS Statutes: Ch 75 Article 7c: Firearms

I encourage members from other States to post simular links to help everyone stay current.

Be safe, be free, and sleep with one eye open.

LE friends have told me for years, if I ever have a home brake in and am forced to do the unthinkable and take a life, make sure the perp is in the house and they only get one statement. Hope it never comes to that but I get their point.

I have learned a lot from this forum, especially situational awareness but I have a 140 lb rottie that will be awake in a jiffy if something goes wrong. I sleep well at night...

A good example is a dog. I am sure that there are states out there that leave a person open for being sued because your dog mauled them while they were on someone else's property, even if they were there to commit a crime. It flies in the face of common sense but that's why we have to have lawyers. LOL Never assume that a law is on your side gang, that can be a VERY bad error.

here in Iowa the only way you can defend yourself is if you get killed first, or else your going to jail cause they can steal anything they want and you can't do anything in response. But I hope the law changes here

California duty to retreat

California prohibits you from taking action unless you are cornered. You have a "duty to retreat" which requires you to flee. The only way you can justify defense is to show you were unable to retreat further. And of course the burden is on you to prove you couldn't retreat. Guilty until proven innocent. We desperately need castle doctrine here.

Thankful to live in Oklahoma. No requirement to retreat, in or out of my home. In my home, I can assume any intruder intends to harm me and my family. The Oklahoma self defense act specifically excludes civil or criminal prosecution for use of deadly force in a self defense situation.

Romans 8:37

Hey Mom: I have several rottweilers--one looks like my locked bedroom door, one looks like my cell phone, one looks like my car alarm, one looks like my FN5.7, and one looks like my 12g pump.

A good example is a dog. I am sure that there are states out there that leave a person open for being sued because your dog mauled them while they were on someone else's property, even if they were there to commit a crime. It flies in the face of common sense but that's why we have to have lawyers. LOL Never assume that a law is on your side gang, that can be a VERY bad error.
We are responsible dog owners here. Our property is well fenced up to the back and our dog is on leash even at the front when outside and when being taken for a walk. I think when it comes to dogs, they need to be trained all the time. We have taught our dog to "talk" when it need something, e.g., ice cream...he will take his meal bowl to you, sit down and try to "talk"...it's almost funny really. When he is bothered about something outside or saw the mail vehicle passes by, he barked so you have to go see what was bothering him. Mail is OK he just wants to tell us, that one of us needs to go out to get the mail. He is still on constant training as he is just barely 3 years of age. Touch wood but we have not had any "real BG" around, but dogs got this antenna in that they can detect someone who doesn't like animals no matter how far they are from our house. Our dog is soon going on an SAR (Search and Rescue) course soon. I'd go for a dog as a first responder even if we have a Stand-Your-Ground law here in MO.

California prohibits you from taking action unless you are cornered. You have a "duty to retreat" which requires you to flee. The only way you can justify defense is to show you were unable to retreat further. And of course the burden is on you to prove you couldn't retreat. Guilty until proven innocent. We desperately need castle doctrine here.

I take my "duty to retreat" seriously. I fact from my home in CA I retreated all the way to AK. I don't have to retreat any more. Vote out the liberals. There are plenty of good people in CA vote a few of them in.

We are responsible dog owners here. Our property is well fenced up to the back and our dog is on leash even at the front when outside and when being taken for a walk. I think when it comes to dogs, they need to be trained all the time. We have taught our dog to "talk" when it need something, e.g., ice cream...he will take his meal bowl to you, sit down and try to "talk"...it's almost funny really. When he is bothered about something outside or saw the mail vehicle passes by, he barked so you have to go see what was bothering him. Mail is OK he just wants to tell us, that one of us needs to go out to get the mail. He is still on constant training as he is just barely 3 years of age. Touch wood but we have not had any "real BG" around, but dogs got this antenna in that they can detect someone who doesn't like animals no matter how far they are from our house. Our dog is soon going on an SAR (Search and Rescue) course soon. I'd go for a dog as a first responder even if we have a Stand-Your-Ground law here in MO.

I meant no offense there TM. LOL. Just working to illustrate some of the trappings that people may fall into by making assumptions about local laws. I did SAR training back in the day at Fort L.W. with Civil Air Patrol. SAR is an important part of a dogs training and making it REALLY useful. I'm not a big fan of dogs, but I have met a few in my time that have won me over and sounds like you got some good ones.

here in Iowa the only way you can defend yourself is if you get killed first, or else your going to jail cause they can steal anything they want and you can't do anything in response. But I hope the law changes here

jrod07 the change could happen this year. Contact your Senator and tell him/her you support SF 263 and he/she should also.

I tried to provide a link, but the forum didn't make it a clickable link. Go to https://www.legis.iowa.gov/index.aspx and use the "Bills Quick Search" on your left side. Just type in SF 263 and click go. The changes include correction of what you mentioned (you can stand your ground and use lethal force) and monetary penalties from an agency if you are arrested and later found innocent/justified by a judge or jury. To me it looks like a pretty damn good thing if it becomes law!

It is truly amazing, after reading many of the replies, how many states are populated by such hypocritical, self-righteous, know it all, do as I say not as I do, politicians. You can die in your house, for all they care, but I will bet you that the majority of them not only have firearms and permission to defend themselves and their homes but will do so in a heartbeat as they ignore your ability to do the same. If you house is not a sanctuary then they have told you that your life is not worth anything.

I meant no offense there TM. LOL. Just working to illustrate some of the trappings that people may fall into by making assumptions about local laws. I did SAR training back in the day at Fort L.W. with Civil Air Patrol. SAR is an important part of a dogs training and making it REALLY useful. I'm not a big fan of dogs, but I have met a few in my time that have won me over and sounds like you got some good ones.
Sorry you misunderstood. I am not being defensive. I like most of your responses to the post in this forum in general. I am just pointing out that there are people around that take their dogs seriously and not have them run around the neighbourhood unleased. All the houses we have lived in allows fencing around the property, if it is not, then no go. There has been enough problems not walking big dogs. A good property fence is a good investment and for peace of mind most of the time. Tucker is not as good as my Coopers. They are miles apart in the brains department but I lost Coops when he was almost 9 months old, a week before he is to start his SAR and still grieve for him every now and then. That was three years ago now. Going back to bed. Good morning...or good night whichever one is nearest your way...

Thankful to live in Oklahoma. No requirement to retreat, in or out of my home. In my home, I can assume any intruder intends to harm me and my family. The Oklahoma self defense act specifically excludes civil or criminal prosecution for use of deadly force in a self defense situation.

Romans 8:37

The salient features of a decent "Castle Doctrine" Legislation.

NC just got their's activated this past Fall. (FINALLY! Anti gunners in the Legislature and the Lib, soon to be departed, Gov sat on it's progress for a number of years.)

But, you know, the CD is only a statement of common sence, IMHO. Lawyers have long perverted taking care and being apologists for the poor, misunderstood criminals into an advantage for those same criminals. The Castle Doctrine Laws are just a leveling of the playing field.

It still seems ludicrous to have to Legislate the right of self defense though.

But, in a Nation that has more Lawyers than LEOs (it's true!), one has to expect such perversions.

GG

The salient features of a decent "Castle Doctrine" Legislation.

NC just got their's activated this past Fall. (FINALLY! Anti gunners in the Legislature and the Lib, soon to be departed, Gov sat on it's progress for a number of years.)

But, you know, the CD is only a statement of common sence, IMHO. Lawyers have long perverted taking care and being apologists for the poor, misunderstood criminals into an advantage for those same criminals. The Castle Doctrine Laws are just a leveling of the playing field.

It still seems ludicrous to have to Legislate the right of self defence though.

But, in a Nation that has more Lawyers than LEOs (it's true!), one has to expect such perversions.

GG

You hit the nail on the head with this one, GG.

In this litigation-happy nation of ours it's unfortunate that we need to be protected from protecting ourselves. An article in the local paper here said that justifiable homicides are up (CD and SYG laws) while the murder numbers are down. Hmmmm.....I wonder if there's a link between the two......

I believe retreat is smart if it's possible. Nothing is more unpleasant or costly than shooting a violent predator. That being said I don't believe the law should require anyone to do so.

I believe retreat is smart if it's possible. Nothing is more unpleasant or costly than shooting a violent predator. That being said I don't believe the law should require anyone to do so.

Which? Require to retreat or blowing away the BG? LOL!

GG

I agree with escaping if possible and if situation appropriate. Although, I am NOT a hero. I am not afraid to admit it. If I am in a mall and gunfire breaks out on the other side of the mall, I am out of there. I think of it as an area of affect, if I am not in the direct line of fire then I am not being threatened. Rushing in with my gun is as likely to get me killed as it is the BG. However, if I am in the middle of the mess then it IS my problem and I will do what I need to do. I have my gun because of the "boogey man", that is to protect against that thing which comes out of left field. I was present at a shooting in a crowded bar, I would not have had my piece with me and it wouldn't have made a difference, but it cemented in my mind that it could have happened ANYWHERE at ANYTIME. I had my head turned away from the door when it happened- and don't give me that "I never take my eyes off the door" BS- everyone eventually turns your head for that split second. Seconds turned into hours- it couldn't have taken 30 secs from start to finish but it seemed like an eternity. That taught me that the idea that a plan of action will NOT magically appear in my head and play out flawlessly, just youtube the detroit police station shoot out, it shows what a real chaotic scene a gunfight becomes. The idea of a duty to flee law is as absurd as a law requiring a citizen into a fray.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back