Carmax

walknotinfear

The following is true and occurred a few years back.

I had purchased a used car from the CARMAX in Pompano Beach, Florida. I returned the used car I purchased 4 days later because the transmission was slipping. (CarMax has a 5 day return policy) I drove the car there after I got off duty (was a LEO at the time). The manager was a bit upset that I wanted the $20,000 grand back I paid for the car (Yes I actually paid cash for this car).

Now here is when the story gets weird. While I was unloading my issued equipment out of the trunk the manager noticed I had ammunition. He asked me if I was carrying a gun and I replied that I was carrying a concealed weapon and is that a problem. He stated that CarMax has a no weapon policy and that I had to depart the property immediately. I than told the manager that I was a law enforcement officer and he stated to me that I was not in uniform I still had to leave. I than stated that I did not have a uniform because Federal Agents do not wear uniforms and I wear suits to the office. He then stated he was going to call the police if I didn't leave. I was mad as hell but I repacked my raid gear back in the trunk and drove across the street for my brother to come pick me up (he was coming to get me because I needed a ride home anyway).

My brother arrived and asked me why I did not return the car and I than told him what happened. While I was placing my issued raid gear and ammunition into his car my brother saw my vest and raid jacket. He said why don't you place that jacket on, pull out the panels, put on your gun on and walk back in there, so I did just that. I walked back in to the CarMax with my raid jacket on, my tactical badge around my neck and my gun in clear view of the public. The manager looked at me with this scared look on his face. I than stated, I am now on duty, can I please return the car and get my money back!

He then replied that I could but then he tried one more cheap shot by stating that they would not release my money for the next 15 business days. So I quickly called my bank, asked the bank operator if the check had cleared and they said that it did not. So I told them to stop payment on the check, (The manager heard the entire phone conversation while he was getting the paperwork together).

I than told the manager to keep the check because I canceled the check. He was pissed and so was I but I kept my cool the entire time. I rose above his stupidity and I left in about 25 minutes while the paperwork was sorted out.

I did write a long letter and mailed it to CarMax headquarters. Not a surprise that I did not hear back from them. I will never buy another car from CarMax!

I'd say lesson learned! I would have told him to call the police. As a federal LEO, I don't think there is anywhere you can't legally carry on or off duty is there? The police should have been able to square this dude away

I'd bet if you asked the manager to show you the policy, in writing, it would be that CarMax employees are not permitted to have weapons on the property.

Any twit that would get all antsy about a LEO with weapons is just, well, I'm not going to go there.

walknotinfear:297790 said:
The following is true and occurred a few years back.

I had purchased a used car from the CARMAX in Pompano Beach, Florida. I returned the used car I purchased 4 days later because the transmission was slipping. (CarMax has a 5 day return policy) I drove the car there after I got off duty (was a LEO at the time). The manager was a bit upset that I wanted the $20,000 grand back I paid for the car (Yes I actually paid cash for this car).

snip

He then replied that I could but then he tried one more cheap shot by stating that they would not release my money for the next 15 business days. So I quickly called my bank, asked the bank operator if the check had cleared and they said that it did not. So I told them to stop payment on the check, (The manager heard the entire phone conversation while he was getting the paperwork together).

Huh? So was it cash or a check?

walknotinfear:298012 said:
I did not actualy give 20 grand cash. I wrote a personal check for the car (I did not not finance the car).

Treo:298066 said:
When old folks (like me) say that it means they paid the car off instead of paying it on credit

Ah, understood. You old farts...just kidding, I also paid in cash (cashiers check) for my vehicle. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

I like the way you handled that, I am in the proccess of looking for a new to me truck. CarMax just got crossed off my list of places.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back