can you carry any revolver under ccw

Ladmo

I was told if you qualify with a revolver for a ccw, that you can carry any revolver under that qualification. Does anyone know if this true.

I'm not sure about where you are but here in North Carolina once you get your CC permit you can carry any type gun you want to. In other words here it does not matter. You can quallify with a revolver and carry a semi-auto or what ever. You may want to check out the gun laws in your state or you could just ask at the sherrifs dept.

I was told if you qualify with a revolver for a ccw, that you can carry any revolver under that qualification. Does anyone know if this true.

In my state you don't "qualify with a revolver," you pass a course specifically designed for cc. In the course I took, several students had no gun to use so the instructor supplied several 22's for student to use.

(side note - sever students brought .223 ammo instead of .22... opps!)

Check the requirements of your state.

Yes you can. The permit will state revolvers authorized yes or no and then each specific semi-automatic.

Did not qualify with specific firearm.

In Nebraska you take a CCW course and do not have to qualify with a specific firearm. Permit is good for any type of firearm.

In TX you can qualify with a semi-auto or a revolver.
If you qual with a semi-auto you can carry a semi-auto or a revolver.
If you qual with a revolver you can carry a revolver but canNOT carry a semi-auto.

Yes, you can qual (shoot) your NV course with "any" revolver - when you get your NV CCW it just says REVOLVER, if you shoot an auto for NV CCW qual it has the specific make model, cal of firearm on your CCW, Springfiled XD 45 acp. So I always tell folks to add the revolver when they do their course so they can carry what ever revolver they want under the NV ccw.

In Nevada we itemized by make, model and caliber of specific semi-autos. It use to be that it was itemized by make, model and caliber of all firearms. If you have qualified with revolvers, you can carry one or two round derringers as well. Keep in mind that NRS 202.3653 includes only one or two round derringers, there are some three and four round derringers out there. Those are not included by statute.

There should be a bill in the next legislative session to remove the specific semi-auto requirement. It will then just be any semi-auto and any revolver which is the way it is for LEOSA in Nevada.

If you have a Nevada CFP that was issued before the change to "any revolver" in the 2007 legislative session and you have a revolver on it, you are authorized to carry any revolver or any one or two round derringer as you've qualified with a revolver.

In Nevada we itemized by make, model and caliber of specific semi-autos. It use to be that it was itemized by make, model and caliber of all firearms. If you have qualified with revolvers, you can carry one or two round derringers as well. Keep in mind that NRS 202.3653 includes only one or two round derringers, there are some three and four round derringers out there. Those are not included by statute.

There should be a bill in the next legislative session to remove the specific semi-auto requirement. It will then just be any semi-auto and any revolver which is the way it is for LEOSA in Nevada.

If you have a Nevada CFP that was issued before the change to "any revolver" in the 2007 legislative session and you have a revolver on it, you are authorized to carry any revolver or any one or two round derringer as you've qualified with a revolver.

Hello netentity!

I realize that we are required to qualify for all semi-autos. What if the semi-autos are of the same make?

For example, I like the Smith & Wesson M&P. I have qualified with the 9 full , the 9 compact and the 45 compact.

If I am using the same make, do I have to qualify with every caliber? It's basically the same handgun.

I realize that we are required to qualify for all semi-autos. What if the semi-autos are of the same make?

For example, I like the Smith & Wesson M&P. I have qualified with the 9 full , the 9 compact and the 45 compact.

If I am using the same make, do I have to qualify with every caliber? It's basically the same handgun.
Yes, under State law they are each different semi-autos. Specific semi-auto is defined by statute as make, model and caliber.

Case and point, I have an EAA Witness Steel Compact in 10mm. If I get every caliber conversion kit for it and wish to legally carry it concealed, I'd have to qualify with it in each caliber even though it's the same model firearm. I also would have to qualify with the EAA Witness full sized in each caliber I wish to be authorized to conceal carry on my Nevada CFP.

Same thing goes if you have a Glock or SIG and have barrels in different calibers for it. You need to qualify with every specific make, model and caliber. If I had a SIG P239 and qualified for it in 9mm, it does not authorize me to carry in Nevada on a Nevada CFP a SIG P239 in .40 S&W or .357 SIG. I have to qualify with those two calibers as well and have my NV CFP amended with those authorized firearms.

In South Carolina, once you receive your CWP you can carry any concealable weapon.

"Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.
Link Removed

In South Carolina, once you receive your CWP you can carry any concealable weapon.

"Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.
Link Removed

That's great, but the discussion was a NEVADA specific question, hence why it's placed in the NEVADA discussion area.

gf

Link Removed
As gf has stated, this is the Nevada location forum. SC law does not apply within the State of Nevada.

In Minnesota you can carry concealed or open, I carry my 10-1/2" BFR and usually the bottom of my shoulder holster sticks out the bottom of my coat. Nobody bothers me. Dave

location location location!

All depends where you are. I've heard of states that if you qualify with a revolver only, you have to carry a revolver. Same for autos, if you only qualify with an auto, you have to carry an auto. Thank God that's not the case here in Michigan. You can qualify with whatever - and once you've got your CPL (/CCW/LTCH, etc) you can carry whatever you want. If you carry concealed, you can carry whatever you can conceal. If openly carrying, you can carry whatever the hell you want. Gotta love it.

In Minnesota you can carry concealed or open, I carry my 10-1/2" BFR and usually the bottom of my shoulder holster sticks out the bottom of my coat. Nobody bothers me. Dave

All depends where you are. I've heard of states that if you qualify with a revolver only, you have to carry a revolver. Same for autos, if you only qualify with an auto, you have to carry an auto. Thank God that's not the case here in Michigan. You can qualify with whatever - and once you've got your CPL (/CCW/LTCH, etc) you can carry whatever you want. If you carry concealed, you can carry whatever you can conceal. If openly carrying, you can carry whatever the hell you want. Gotta love it.

Gentlemen, this again is outside of the scope of this particular discussion group. This is for Nevada and only Nevada law matters here. The persons inquiring about the qualification requirements for Nevada are not interested in what applies in Michigan, Minnesota or any other State as it has no relevance whatsoever to adding specific semi-auto pistols to their respective Nevada CFP or the punishment if they fail to do so.

Carrying firearms not specifically on your Nevada CFP is a category C felony per NRS 202.350 punishable by one to five years plus up to a $10K fine. It's in their vested interest to do everything in accordance to the laws here, not the laws in Michigan or Minnesota. If someone prefers the CCW laws there they are more than welcome to relocate there.

Gentlemen, this again is outside of the scope of this particular discussion group. This is for Nevada and only Nevada law matters here. The persons inquiring about the qualification requirements for Nevada are not interested in what applies in Michigan, Minnesota or any other State as it has no relevance whatsoever to adding specific semi-auto pistols to their respective Nevada CFP or the punishment if they fail to do so.

Carrying firearms not specifically on your Nevada CFP is a category C felony per NRS 202.350 punishable by one to five years plus up to a $10K fine. It's in their vested interest to do everything in accordance to the laws here, not the laws in Michigan or Minnesota. If someone prefers the CCW laws there they are more than welcome to relocate there.

First off, dump out your pissed-on Cheerios and pour a fresh bowl. I admit my mistake in not seeing that this is a Nevada-based thread. Had I realized, I would not have cluttered the space with info from Michigan. When I first jumped into this thread, I saw it was titled CAN YOU CARRY ANY REVOLVER UNDER CCW. I apparently missed the Nevada Discussion and Firearms News line. This is also why one of my posts was titled "location location location" - because I didn't realize that the location (Nevada) had already been established. It's easily understood that what applies in one state doesn't have jack to do with what applies in the next and there should be no confusion about that. My apologies for impeding.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back