Can a Canadian be issued a "Concealed Carry Permit"?

I'm wondering if there is a state that would issue a non-resident, visiting Canadian citizen. Basically I'm looking for legal means to get a "Concealed Carry Permit" that is recognized in mostly western states like Washington and Oregon. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know about all 50 states, but all the ones I've ever checked you had to be a US Citizen or a lawful permanent resident.

Ccw

Yes you have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for any type of CCW, whether temporary or permanent. However, lets take a lighter look at this just in case Canada eventually overturns their worthless gun laws and decides to join the fraternity of gun loving law abiding citizens; Lets say that by mistake, bureauacratic foulup,etc., you are issued a temporary CCW permit. Are you aware of the dire consequences you may be facing. Your PM would contact obana and request that you be deported for being a gun-toting hate-mongering terrorist who is fomenting war between our Countries.Then in secret we would have to send in Navy Seals to rescue you. You see, its just not worth the trouble. Get a Nintendo and practice firing your toy gun at the TV. Have fun.

NRA Benefactor Life Member-CCW holder

Lol! Ouch! All I have to say is I can't blame you for that point of view of Canadas gun laws. Don't let happen to your country, I'm begging you. Its a colossal waste of tax dollars just so politicians can get the vote from uneducated green peace tree hugging prius driving assholes that don't have a clue. I enjoy my guns, and so do a lot of other Canadians. I just wish we didn't let this happen to our freedoms. And by the way, I already wore out my nintendo!

Yes you have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for any type of CCW, whether temporary or permanent.

Sorry, but the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution only applies to U.S. Citizens

In TN (and many other states) you do NOT have to be a US citizen to get a carry permit, a person that is a Lawful Permanent Resident (see definition Link Removed) can get a permit.

But as I said in my first post, I don't know of any state that will issue a permit to a non-citizen just visiting the US.

I would hate to hear about you visiting or returning to Canada and as you show your ID they strip search you and your car, the NRA sticker on my truck caused the truck to be searched. I no longer spend my money in Canada and I at one time hunted there. Sorry, hope your politicians wake up.

Originally Posted by NRA UR2
Yes you have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for any type of CCW, whether temporary or permanent.

Take a civics class, there is no way to be a temporary citizen.

? Rather than getting snarky, you both may want to take a Grammar class . Because of the comma right after the noun "CCW" participial phrases must describe the noun immediately after the comma.

Canadians absolutely can get them here, although it depends on the state.

The Washington state law page was recently updated. You can check out some detail on there.

Last edited:
Sorry, but the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution only applies to U.S. Citizens

Sorry, Mud Pup, but our rights were first posited in the Declaration of Independence, and read:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

There is, in my opinion, a very valid view that we should recognize these rights for everyone in the world. Just because they happen to live in a nation where the State denies them these rights doesn't mean that they should not enjoy them as their creator saw fit. In fact, it might lead some to seek a government that recognizes these rights. You know, like this:

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is theRight of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

US law applies to US citizens. I'm one who believes citizenship isn't like the toy in a box of Cracker Jacks, and just because we happen to be the best country of all time, it does NOT mean everybody in the universe can be a US citizen just by showing up. It's very much like the wanna-be SEALs that give a good story about their exploits in 'Nam, but never left San Francisco. I'd support anyone as being a US citizen that goes to the trouble of actually being one, but I resent people just showing up, saying they are citizens of the world so therefore they have rights under our Constitution, and then get offended. Grow some cahoonies, and either become a US citizen, or stand up and change the screwed up laws of your own country.

Oh come on people, do your research properly before stating that non US citizens can't have firearms. I'm not a US Citizen, but I live in Virginia and have done legally for the last 10 years since I stepped off the aircraft that brought me here. I have a VA concealed handgun permit issued to me by the county where I live, and at least one firearm (the exact number I'll never divulge, my own wife doesn't know how many) all of which were obtained legally. That, to me, is absolute proof that a non US Citizen can have a firearm in this country.

So, as we have already discussed in other threads here, the US Constitution applies to all those people who have a legal right to live here, both citizens and permanent residents (aka green card holders).

coachdb18, I cant blame you for your point of view, I hope I didnt come off as the kind of person that would expect to get all the rights and freedoms of an American citizen with out going through the proper channels of either being legally landed or becoming a citizen. Im studing for a career in law enforcement and as far as getting a career in the U.S., Im pretty sure that American agencies are more likly to give a position to a blue blooded American than a eager canuck. Unless someone knows of an agency that dosent mind hiring Canadians.....

US law applies to US citizens. I'm one who believes citizenship isn't like the toy in a box of Cracker Jacks, and just because we happen to be the best country of all time, it does NOT mean everybody in the universe can be a US citizen just by showing up. It's very much like the wanna-be SEALs that give a good story about their exploits in 'Nam, but never left San Francisco. I'd support anyone as being a US citizen that goes to the trouble of actually being one, but I resent people just showing up, saying they are citizens of the world so therefore they have rights under our Constitution, and then get offended. Grow some cahoonies, and either become a US citizen, or stand up and change the screwed up laws of your own country.

US Law applies to anyone within the boundaries (except diplomatic officials from other countries). I think you meant certain rights and privileges are only given to US Citizens. But even that is not 100% true.

But I agree there is a proper way to enter the country and become a citizen and if that is what someone wants they should go about it the right way.

US law applies to US citizens. I'm one who believes citizenship isn't like the toy in a box of Cracker Jacks

May I ask exactly HOW you became a citizen of the United States? If you are like me, you did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to become a citizen of the US. For most of us, US citizenship is EXACTLY like a toy in a box of Cracker Jacks. We just happened to be lucky enough to be born here, by chance. No different than opening the box of Cracker Jacks and pouring it out and out pops a US Citizenship certificate.

And yet, somehow, we feel privileged to look down our noses at those people who had to jump through many more hoops than us to be in this country as legal residents, simply because they don't have a birth certificate from here? We would seek to deny them the basic human right to self protection because, even though they have put much more effort into being in this country legally than we have, they simply, by chance, were born somewhere else, just like we, by chance, were born here?

I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to be that selfish and arrogant.

As an NRA Instructor we are not even allowed to give a class or allow a non citizen to attend!
However there are folks that have dual citizenship - have not dealt with that issue? Any one out there know about that?
Bill

As an NRA Instructor we are not even allowed to give a class or allow a non citizen to attend!
However there are folks that have dual citizenship - have not dealt with that issue? Any one out there know about that?
Bill

Must be a matter of your school/company policy. US Citizenship is NOT a requirement to obtain the Colorado Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun!

Colorado Revised Statute 18-12-203:

18-12-203. Criteria for obtaining a permit.

(1) Beginning May 17, 2003, except as otherwise provided in this section, a sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to an applicant who:

(a) Is a legal resident of the state of Colorado. For purposes of this part 2, a person who is a member of the armed forces and is stationed pursuant to permanent duty station orders at a military installation in this state, and a member of the person's immediate family living in Colorado, shall be deemed to be a legal resident of the state of Colorado.

(b) Is twenty-one years of age or older;

(c) Is not ineligible to possess a firearm pursuant to section 18-12-108 or federal law;

(d) Has not been convicted of perjury under section 18-8-503, in relation to information provided or deliberately omitted on a permit application submitted pursuant to this part 2;

(e) (I) Does not chronically and habitually use alcoholic beverages to the extent that the applicant's normal faculties are impaired.

(II) The prohibition specified in this paragraph (e) shall not apply to an applicant who provides an affidavit, signed by a professional counselor or addiction counselor who is licensed pursuant to article 43 of title 12, C.R.S., and specializes in alcohol addiction, stating that the applicant has been evaluated by the counselor and has been determined to be a recovering alcoholic who has refrained from using alcohol for at least three years.

(f) Is not an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance as defined in section 18-18-102 (5). Whether an applicant is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance shall be determined as provided in federal law and regulations.

(g) Is not subject to:
(I) A protection order issued pursuant to section 18-1-1001 or section 19-2-707, C.R.S., that is in effect at the time the application is submitted; or
(II) A permanent protection order issued pursuant to article 14 of title 13, C.R.S.; or
(III) A temporary protection order issued pursuant to article 14 of title 13, C.R.S., that is in effect at the time the application is submitted;

(h) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by submitting:
(I) Evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service;
(II) Evidence that, at the time the application is submitted, the applicant is a certified instructor;
(III) Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States armed forces within the three years preceding submittal of the application;
(IV) Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States armed forces that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application;
(V) A certificate showing retirement from a Colorado law enforcement agency that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application; or
(VI) A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. In obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete.

By not allowing legal residents who are not citizens to take your classes you are not only denying them the ability to obtain a permit they would qualify for, you are also losing out on course fees. I guarantee there are other instructors who will take their money, either because they want the business or because they honor their right to self defense.

Bill

Sir would you be so kind as to point out the chapter and verse from the NRA on this? Thank you.

May I ask exactly HOW you became a citizen of the United States? If you are like me, you did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to become a citizen of the US. For most of us, US citizenship is EXACTLY like a toy in a box of Cracker Jacks. We just happened to be lucky enough to be born here, by chance. No different than opening the box of Cracker Jacks and pouring it out and out pops a US Citizenship certificate.

And yet, somehow, we feel privileged to look down our noses at those people who had to jump through many more hoops than us to be in this country as legal residents, simply because they don't have a birth certificate from here? We would seek to deny them the basic human right to self protection because, even though they have put much more effort into being in this country legally than we have, they simply, by chance, were born somewhere else, just like we, by chance, were born here?

I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to be that selfish and arrogant.

Navylt I am in complete agreement. I think most of us forget that are grandparents or great grandparents were not born in the good ol USA. They immigrated here to be free so that we as thier children could be born in this great nation. There are a lot of decent people in the world who would love to become american citizens. Unless you were a native american, we all at one time came from some other country. We need to give most immigrants a chance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back