Breakfast in Collinsville

SGB

Breakfast in Collinsville - Collinsville & police officer slapped with lawsuit

On December 4th 2011, StarTrek fans Terrance Huff and Jon Seaton are stopped illegally after a StarTrek Exhibition for suspected drug transportation in Collinsville, Illinois. Award winning filmmaker Terrance Huff does a breakdown of an illegal traffic stop and subsequent search involving a K9 Officer who has a questionable past. The dog search begins 9:50 and is followed by evidentiary video.

Dashcam Video Leads To Federal Lawsuit In Collinsville | FOX2now.com

COLLINSVILLE, IL (KTVI)– The city of Collinsville and a police officer are slapped with a federal lawsuit after a traffic stop on Interstate 70.

The plaintiff’s say a Collinsville officer unlawfully searched their car. Their attorney says they have the dash camera video to proves it.

The lawsuit centers around two Ohio men visiting the Star Trek convention at the St. Louis Science Center in December.

This video clearly shows that this cop will go out of his way to break the law, lie and fabricate false evidence, and he is to stupid to realise that he is doing it in front of his own dash camera. I hope this guy that was illegaly stopped by this cop nails his ass in court, as well as the police department that employs him, because there just as guilty as he is. They know this guy is a bad cop, but they let it continue.

SGB If you can, keep us posted on how this turns out. Not only does Illinois deny reciprocity with everyone but it looks like they go out of their way to deny as many rights as possible. Dirt bag is the only thing that comes to mind.

Lot of questions for the courts and a jury to look at.

The tape sounds edited at the point the vehicle owner claims MF was said about him.

The dog could have had a false positive but from the video you cannot tell.

Officer does not need the owners' permission to run the dog around the car. Courts have ruled that these are not a search, but information from this can give him probable cause to search. The officer telling the dog "let's find some drugs has no meaning unless this officer trained this dog and gave the dog a key word to hit on. You only hear this as he is getting the dog out of his vehicle. I do find it interesting that the officer told the dog to sit when he was at the front of the car the first time.

The amount of time the vehicle owner was detained until the other officer showed up is also interesting. If I were the vehicle owner I would have asked, "Am I free to leave" to see what his reaction was.

Attorney should obtain all training records for the dog. Then look at all dogs the trainer has trained and see if there are any issues he could bring up.

If the officer had admitted in the past to creating evidence, this should be an easy case to resolve. If he is a bad officer the department should bounce him out...Now I say "if" because I will have no proof that the officer is bad other than the person narrating the video.

The comment made by the officer "I'm not concerned about a little bit of drugs for personal use is a huge error by him. The courts will not like this statement. I can hear the attorney asking him in court if he allows people to break the law as long as it is not a major violation.

The end result, Guilt or innocent will be decided by the courts and not on a web site.

Folks that do not like Police Officers will be quick to believe any and everything someone says regarding the stop.

I will only comment as to what I see and hear between the officer and the vehicle owner, not the narration.

New hearing planned in officer's legal battle

Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 12:00 am | (0) comments. Font Size:Link RemovedLink Removed

The Collinsville Police and Fire Board voted Thursday to again suspend a former officer without pay, the latest phase in a complex legal tangle over accused improper police work.
The board in 2006 fired Officer Michael Reichert after a federal judge ruled he lied during a drug trial. They also cited a conviction on federal charges that he sold knockoff designer sunglasses. Some officials thought the revelations raised questions about whether Reichert could truthfully testify in criminal cases.
Reichert appealed the ruling, which eventually ended up in the 5th District Court of Appeals. That court sided with Reichert, prompting the Police and Fire Board to return him to paid leave last month. Now, federal prosecutors have raised new concerns against Reichert again questioning his trustworthiness. It's now up to the local board again to decide whether to dismiss Reichert or possible next steps.

That's why a lot of people are installing personal dash cams & recording everywhere they drive. You just delete at the end of each day if nothing happened.

US Attorneys working for Holder are called to Congress and plead the fifth amendment.
Government Officials working for the Government Accounting Office plead the fifth,
Attention Citizens you do not have to talk to the police.
This cop had no probable cause.
Fruit of the poisonous. Everything after the illegal stop is illegal.

the guy did ask if he could leave the whacky cop said he could leave but not in his vehicle
welcome to the 4th reich pun intended being the cops last name was reich something
the cop probably needed his own drug fix and was hoping to find it in some outta state plated car he made and excuse to pull over

People need to know that anytime you are detained by a cop he is gathering evidence to be used against you. It's his job. It's what cops do. If you were to meet him under different circumstances you might become friends, but one needs to remember that they have no obligation to be truthful during an interview. Cops can and do lie to obtain evidence. It is a known tactic and should be a no-brainer. The statement made by the officer "I'm not concerned about a little bit of drugs for personal use", means nothing. He could just as easily change his mind after gaining permission for the search. A polite but clearly worded refusal is your best bet.

A good response to that statement might be, "Well, sir, that may be, and you seem like a decent guy, but my policy is not to allow searches. Am I free to go?"

Concerning the use of the dog, everything outside the vehicle or in plain sight is fair game for probable cause.

A further note: Do not say "OK." to indicate that you understand the officer. It can be misconstrued to mean you are giving permission. Say, "I understand", "I got that," or better yet, don't say anything. Be polite, be friendly, but admit nothing and never give consent.

I just said a post or so ago that I just bought a new HD video recorder. How does that work? Do have to turn it on everytime you jump in the car? What if the scenario you want to take is not in front of you? I better google a dash cam tripod if hubby will allow me to install one there permanently...

Long time reader, first post... I have a car dvr for these very situations, plus for any crash disputes etc... I have the Link Removed which will record in 1080p hd, record gps location and speed, and record audio. Once the memory is filled up it automatically deletes the oldest files to make room for new.

I have had this mounted to my windshield for a few months, and have not touched it since installing. it's pretty seamless and on most drives I dont even think about it any more. It just sits behind my rearview mirror and records. if/when i need to review something i can pop out the memory card and save the video to my PC.

I bought mine on ebay and it had to be shipped from korea. took over a month to get here but im glad i bought it.

Long time reader, first post... I have a car dvr for these very situations, plus for any crash disputes etc... I have the Link Removed which will record in 1080p hd, record gps location and speed, and record audio. Once the memory is filled up it automatically deletes the oldest files to make room for new.

I have had this mounted to my windshield for a few months, and have not touched it since installing. it's pretty seamless and on most drives I dont even think about it any more. It just sits behind my rearview mirror and records. if/when i need to review something i can pop out the memory card and save the video to my PC.

I bought mine on ebay and it had to be shipped from korea. took over a month to get here but im glad i bought it.

Interesting gadget. If I were going to install something like that though I would want one for the rear and sides of the car also. On pointing into the car also. That would cost to much though.

Any current or former LEO that defends the criminal cop in this video is just as corrupt as he is. The violations are obvious. Having been subjected to this kind of violation myself while passing through Utah, it really pisses me off to see this crap. It's pieces of sh!t like this Reichert that make people like me not only distrust law enforcement, but despise them. Go figure it's in Illinois too.

Any time a cop begins an interaction with you the very first words out of your mouth should be “I do not consent to this interaction.”. Done deal, you’ve just established clearly in terms that no reasonable person could dispute that this is not a consensual stop. The cop now has to come up with a legitimate reason for continuing the interaction.

Next thing you should say is “Am I free to go?” Do not pass go, do not collect 200$ do not do anything else until you establish that you are or are not free to go. If cop says you are free to go and you do anything but turn around and walk away immediately it just became a consensual stop.

A cop cannot detain you unless he has reasonable suspicion based on clearly articuable facts that you have or are about to commit a crime. He can only detain you for a reasonable amount of time in order to establish probable cause to make an arrest. The most common way for a cop to get PC is for you to flap your gums and give it to him.

If a cop ever tells you that you are not free to go stop talking immediately. At this point the only words that should come out of your mouth are “I do not consent to any searches.” and "I’d like to speak to a lawyer before I answer any questions.” Once you say that you have invoked your right to remain silent but there is a catch if you say anything else after that you have just waived your right to remain silent and again established a consensual stop. Once you ask to speak to a lawyer, don’t say anything else until the cop says you are free to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back