Bill Would Let Legal Gun Owners Carry Weapons Around Country

Doesn't change any states' rights? Really? So what you are saying is that a state has no right to determine who qualifies to carry a concealed firearm in that state and who doesn't (not that I disagree with that)? If this passes, in some states non-residents who would not qualify for that state's permit will be legal to carry concealed firearms. Take Texas for example. A Washington resident convicted of a misdemeanor can still qualify for the Washington CPL and Texas will be forced to allow them to carry concealed in Texas, whereas a Texas resident won't be able to qualify for the Texas permit because of that same misdemeanor conviction. But this doesn't change states' rights according to you. Tell New York and California and about 10 other of the non-2A honoring states that this won't affect their states' rights.

It's just like a drivers license. Every state has to recognize every other state. There is no states right to restrict carry in the first place. This bill is a move in that direction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using USA Carry mobile app

More laws that control the right to bear arms (even laws that today grant a privilege but tomorrow add restrictions to that privilege) equals less chance of regaining the actual right to bear arms because it is yet another law that time, energy, and money, must be spent in order to take it down.

There you go making up what MIGHT happen which could happen with or without this bill but which is less likely to happen with the bill.

Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
More laws that control the right to bear arms (even laws that today grant a privilege but tomorrow add restrictions to that privilege) equals less chance of regaining the actual right to bear arms because it is yet another law that time, energy, and money, must be spent in order to take it down.
There you go making up what MIGHT happen which could happen with or without this bill but which is less likely to happen with the bill.

There you go looking at yet another gun control bill with rose colored glasses thinking that only good things would happen but there isn't any chance of bad things happening with this bill. Even going so far as to try to justify handing Daddy Fed more power....

Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
Let's see. There is all the irrational fear that this bill might lead to the Fed's getting involved in gun control. Ignoring of course the Fed's already getting involved as they will. 34 gun control (unconstitutional). 68 gun control (unconstitutional). Magazine bans. Gun import bans. The Fed's don't need a new excuse.

The camel's nose under the tent is a legitimate example. However the camel is already in the tent. This bill sticks his nose under the tent on the way our.

It is no surprise that y'all against the bill have jumped to personal attacks. You have nothing else.

....by saying Daddy Fed is already doing it so if folks get an extra (temporary) privilege then it's Ok:

Looking at national reciprocity given by the heavy hand of the Federal government from the perspective of what Daddy Fed has done in the past any bill that gives Daddy Fed anything at all to do with concealed carry permits should be seen for what it is... the beginning of Daddy Fed taking control of concealed carry permits altogether.

NavyLCDR has done a much better job of explaining all that (with examples...) than I.

But then... who am I to caution folks who think Daddy Fed's permission is some kind of step forward for the right to bear arms?

Edited to add:
It is always wise to look at any and all legislation with a critical eye expecting there to be a screwing, or potential screwing, in it somewhere rather than looking through rose colored glasses seeing just the candy in it.

Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it. Instead of passing a bill that is a permission slip, repeal the laws that violate the Second Amendment. Every permission slip bill passed is another one that money will have to be spent on to repeal. Start removing illegal laws instead of adding another.

Maybejim,
Like you cabin avatar. Nice, is it yours or just a stock picture?

It's my cabin in Idaho. Feels like it's a million miles from civilization but it's a mile and a half from Walmart, K-Mart, and Home Depot all in Oregon with no sales tax. 4 1/2 acres with a creek, a well and septic tank.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back