Best set-up for home defense?

shotties are probably the best bet for home defense, consider bird shot instead of 00
I may have to shoot through a wall if an armed intruder is doing the same to kill me. I considered bird shot, but rejected it. I have no worries about penetration. My closest neighbor is well away, and there are woods on all other sides (3).

I may have to shoot through a wall if an armed intruder is doing the same to kill me. I considered bird shot, but rejected it. I have no worries about penetration. My closest neighbor is well away, and there are woods on all other sides (3).
00 Buck. A little more drywall repair than birdshot but it's effective and spackle is cheap.

I just keep my handgun on the night stand.

As the saying goes "everyone has a plan until they're punched in the face", so I don't bother making detailed plans.
Don't have a gun here yet, can't afford it being on SSDisability because of spinal injury on my neck from working at Walmart which denied it, never gave me copies of paperwork I had to give them...so pissed off at them. Lot of breaking in my area which never occurred 3 years ago.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Don't have a gun here yet, can't afford it being on SSDisability because of spinal injury on my neck from working at Walmart which denied it, never gave me copies of paperwork I had to give them...so pissed off at them. Lot of breaking in my area which never occurred 3 years ago.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I'm sorry for your situation but I'm not sure dhat that has to do with the post you quoted.

G26 IWB and Ruger LCP in my back pocket all day, at home or away. I read a story about a home invasion in which the home defense gun was in the next room. The robbers were not inclined to let the homeowners go get it. Things didn't end well for the homeowners. In the next room doesn't work. And robbers don't call ahead to tell you they're coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep my FAS1 handgun safe bolted to my bed with a G17 and a couple mags. That is when I am the most vulnerable. I always pocket carry around the house and the big safe has a loaded 12GA w/00 Buck if I need to retreat in that direction.

"If you live in an area with bears, cougars, wolves, etc. the shotgun can come in real handy."

Same for a compressed air can boat horn… Now if the critter shows evidence of rabies, then more force is justified.

"If you live in an area with bears, cougars, wolves, etc. the shotgun can come in real handy."

Same for a compressed air can boat horn… Now if the critter shows evidence of rabies, then more force is justified.
That's a good way to get yourself killed. Loud nois only has even a chance of working if the spicific animal isn't already acclimated to loud nois such as cars, park ranger sirins and other home owners using air horns. Even if the spicific animal isn't acclaimed it's still a 50/50 coin toss.

I don't that that you'd ever get a shot off at a couger or wolf at a viable effective range with a shottie and going up against a bear with a shottie isn't usually a wise choice

If its eating pears off the tree 30 yards away, I hope it leaves some for me. No reason to disturb it's lunch. Just because I could take it down doesn't obligate me to do so.

The bears like to sniff around on porches here. If it tries to come in through a window, it will get slugs from my 88.

Having had the chance to calmly observe them , I see they're fast and strong, and beautiful.

I think I get your point though, they don't have to be faster than slugs, just faster than my trigger finger...

Handguns loaded in classified location through out my home.I don't like shotguns or AR for inside the house cause you can lose control if bad guy grabs the barrel .

Last edited:
Sounds like you spend your whole life in your bedroom. What happens to your carfully laid out plan when burglers come while your making dinner, taking a shower or watching TV in the livingroom?

As I said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

IMHO, there are limits that I am willing to take to not let this become what many feel is a necessary 24/7 safety occupation. Why we even have questions and replies for some taking showers and sitting on the potty. Obviously my bedroom is an at-night situation, which, IMHO is my only concern when it comes to this 24/7 safety business--I hope I sensed some sarcasm in your comment. Good reply but not my idea of trying to live a life that is not totally zombie paranoid. Out and about during all other hours means situational awareness (SA) to me. I am alert to who, what, where and when. Always looking, always locking doors, outside lighting, doors that open outward so break in is against the studs/door jamb, parking in lit areas, minimizing evening activities if surrounding areas are problematic. SA has served me well for 74 years w/o any incidents--maybe I am fortunate having grown up and lived in areas that are easily above average when it comes to a lack of crime and violence--but I know that I do not go out of my way for personal comfort to leave myself open to potential problems.

Handguns loaded in classified location through out my home.I don't like shotguns or AR for inside the house cause you can lose control if bad guy grabs the barrel .

Long guns are excellent for home defense. As for losing control over it, you need proper training. Whoever tries to grab the barrel will get shot. You have the same problem with a handgun and similar solutions. Long guns are just significantly more efficient in stopping a threat.

Personal Defense Network | Personal Defense Tips: Long Guns - Carbine Rifle C.O.R.R. Combative Training (Although, I rather C.O.S.: Clamp, Orient, and Shoot.)

Fully extend your arms in a typical two-handed presentation of a handgun before fired. Measure the distance from your shoulder to the muzzle of the weapon. The "grab your barrel" long gun fallacy has been debunked so many times it is bordering on ridiculous, yet, this ignorance still prevails.

The AR and combat shotguns are the best home defense weapons for multiple armed intruders. If for any reason, you have allowed a killer to grab your barrel of your handgun or long arm, you have failed at saving your life, by making this deadly mistake; allowing the killer to get close enough to put you six feet under. Dynamic training. Do it; long gun and sidearm.

Your killer may travel 21 ft. in about a second. Barely time enough to point and shoot. Dynamic training teaches your brain reflex, and muscle memory carries-out the task.

I realize everyone has opinions on this subject. Do whatever makes you comfortable.

Hmmmm...I would have to agree with that one never really knows what they would do until it happens to you. Since I don't have any wolves or bears in my area I'll just assume it's a bad guy trying to get into my house. Nothing in my home is irreplaceable. My firearm doesn't come off my belt until I go to bed. So if someone attempted to break in I would hear it and most likely greet them with an unpleasant surprise once they gained entry, If there were multiple people trying to come in more than one door it might get a little sticky, haven't thought that one out yet. Night time there is ample fire power for the wife and I easily accessible to us. I do believe I would hear someone getting in the house, and know full well when or if someone was coming up the stairs, hahaha, there are a couple of steps that creek, caught my son every time when he came home late. He's out on his own now. So bad guy beware if you reach the top of the steps watch for the flash. If I don't drop you on the spot and you are able to run away I guess I consider that as stopping the threat and you are retreating. On your way out and if you are bleeding please don't get any blood on the living room furniture, you have no idea how many days I spent furniture shopping with the wife and I really don't want to do that again any time soon. Then I'll sit down and make a cup of coffee, maybe turn on the news and wait another 22 minutes for the cops to get there.

If you have kids in the home a handgun might be your best choice for your primary weapon. You might need a free hand when rounding them up to a secure spot. My secure spot is by my safe where there is a loaded rifle and shotgun. That is also where my wife would go with her cell phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back