Best CCW 45 ACP?

Deadontarget

Hi everyone, First off, I am brand new to this site and would like to say a Big Hello to everyone!Link Removed
Now down to business: I currently carry a Kahr PM9 (about 400 plus rounds fired through it) which is very concealable, and accurate. It has proven itself to be an excellent CCW to carry during the warmer months when I wear just shorts and a t-shirt. However, I would love to carry a 45 ACP and have really looked hard at the P45. I also like the 1911 platform and if I had the extra $$$, I'd probably get the ED Brown Kobra Carry. Both guns have their advantages and disadvantages. Weight, size, durability, accuracy, etc. Any members out there with opinion. I would really like to know if anyone has had both or one or the other. Thanks!!

Welcome

Welcome to USACARRY, always nice to new members come on board, I carry a G36 in .45 acp. Sorry I cant answer your questions regarding the other two firearms mfg's you mentioned.

I carry a Glock G21 .45 ACP in a CrossBreed Super Tuck Deluxe and I am very happy with it. Very dependable and a blast to shoot.

I like carring my Pro Carry Kimber 45acp, it's light weight and packes a punch. :biggrin::thank_you2:

you have carried a 9mm but now you want to carry a 45. I think it is odd that you started with a 9mm. In the field, Iraq, they have seen where it takes 11 rounds from the M9 to bring down one enemy. I like to do things right the first time, that means find a caliber that brings them down with one shot. That is the .45 ACP! Kimber is priced to not sell. Sig is a great gun and is easy to get back on target. Springfield Armory XD gives a nice price, but it has the polymer frame. Polymer frame gives a rotating recoil, this is the same on the Kahr. Best bet is to find a place that will let you try out the different versions of the 45. I like the 1911. My use is person safety in public and family safety while in bear country. The trouble with bear is they do not fall on the first shot.

The Springfield Armory XD is nice so is the one I carry almost every day, the Taurus 24/7 . I also carry a .40 , Taurus PT 140 when I want to go light.
:pleasantry:
Is there a place where you can try them out?
If yes, go try a few out.

I have a 1911 in .45 ACP and a Sig .380 ACP. The 1911 is a Nighthawk GRP Recon with a Streamlight TLR-2 mounted on the gun's rail. I love this gun. But for me (age 68) the 1911 is too heavy for carry. Instead, I rely on it as my primary home defense weapon. I prefer to carry the Sig P238. When loaded, the Sig is less than one-third the weight of the Nighthawk. And the Sig conceals very well.

Everyday carry is now .45 XD; used to be Taurus 1911. I like both guns very much; find the XD is slightly easier to conceal.

The Ed Brown is one hell of a gun, but if cost is an issue, you may do well in looking at the Dan Wesson CBOB.

Its essentially the exact same gun, but as a semi-custom as opposed to custom 1911. It is also over $1000 cheaper. It's one of the hottest 1911s on the market right now.

Hi everyone, new to this site. I carry a M&P .45 when its cooler outside. Otherwise the Glock 36 is a lightweight awesome pistol. I carried a Colt Gov't 1911 on duty for two years when my dept went to those in the 80s. We had a few accidental discharges (including one SWAT member shooting another accidentally) and other problems (like remembering to hit the safety lever) since we carried them "cocked and locked." If you CC one you must practice, practice, practice. Most of the time my Glock 27 (.40) is on my side or ankle.

I have both the PM9 and the P45 .... I started with the pm9 for concealability, and got the p45 later for some extra punch during cold weather. Turns out that I use the p45 most of the time (even summer here in Indiana) in a minotaur IWB tuckable from Comp-tac. I only use the PM9 for pocket carry even though I got the spare kydex cover to use it with the minotaur.

While I like both guns I prefer the p45 for the bigger hole and longer grip. I also shoot much better with it either because of the grip or the longer barrel/sight line.

I am considering a xd40 or xd45 for cold weather and open carry around the farm. While realistically I probably will never need anything more then the 7 in the first mag ... something just feels good about double digit round counts.

I have owned glocks in the past, but I suffer from fat palm / short finger syndrome and their grips are just too chunky for my personal preferences. The xd with the small back strap fits me decent.

For concealed carry I prefer DA no hammer (or at least not exposed hammer) guns. Love the 1911's ... just not for concealed carry. I also prefer that what ever I carry functions similarly. In my case I prefer to stick with the glock / kahr / XD style with no thumb safety. I also believe that if you carry a duty weapon you need the additional safeties and if you practice with those safeties then your EDC should be similar.

Unless you are really stuck on the 45 ACP consider the kahr in 40 cal. External dimensions are essentially identical so the same holsters should work with your pm9 and karh p40.

Hi everyone, new to this site. I carry a M&P .45 when its cooler outside. Otherwise the Glock 36 is a lightweight awesome pistol. I carried a Colt Gov't 1911 on duty for two years when my dept went to those in the 80s. We had a few accidental discharges (including one SWAT member shooting another accidentally) and other problems (like remembering to hit the safety lever) since we carried them "cocked and locked." If you CC one you must practice, practice, practice. Most of the time my Glock 27 (.40) is on my side or ankle.
Just picked up the M&P 45 full frame. I love my S&W model 65 .357 Mag, but it's kinda hard to hide in the summer. I like the "take down / stopping power" of the .357 Mag so the 45 ACP was the logical choice for an auto pistol. Hides nice in the SuperTuck. I'm not a real big fan of the 9mm...

Colt New Agent

I sold my Kimber Ultra CarryII and now have a Colt New Agent. I just trasferred the Crimson Trace grips and have a beautiful gun. The New Agent has no protruding sites and is all metal, no polymer, I have other .45s but this is what I prefer to carry when not carrying my HK compact .45.

Thank you everyone for all the great responses! I did some further research on the subject and a good friend of mine asked why don't I just get a smaller 40 cal. Maybe like a P40 from Kahr. Now I'm really confused. I know the recoil is sharper from a 40 cal, but the muzzle flip is less than that of a 45. Softer recoil but more muzzle flip. Since the gun I'm looking at is for personal defense, I really have to weigh the pros and cons. I will consider this debate for some time before I make my final decision.

I have a 1911 in .45 ACP and a Sig .380 ACP. The 1911 is a Nighthawk GRP Recon with a Streamlight TLR-2 mounted on the gun's rail. I love this gun. But for me (age 68) the 1911 is too heavy for carry. Instead, I rely on it as my primary home defense weapon. I prefer to carry the Sig P238. When loaded, the Sig is less than one-third the weight of the Nighthawk. And the Sig conceals very well.

That Nighthawk is an awesome gun! I had a chance to fire one (Talon) before I bought my Ed Brown. I think you are right about its size and weight for personal carry. I give credit to those who carry one as a personal defense weapon. This is probably why I have doubt carrying one (even a shorter barrel 1911) as one.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back