Back from the Peoples' Republic of Illinois

PascalFleischman

In nearly 3 years of carrying, I have never gone more than one 12-hour period without my pistol. After 3 days of being in Decatur, IL, I have decided that I will avoid Illinois at all cost.

For one, there's nothing appealing to me about that state, whatsoever. For two, I have no desire to ever be in a place that places such little trust in its citizens.

Talk about feeling naked. I was pretty wierded out while walking along, engaged in my typical "head-on-a-swivel" mode, only to realize that the most useful tool at my disposal was my hands.

It was nice to get home, hug the wife & baby, and strap back in. Side note: My pants fit better with a gun in the waistband.

Yes it's a strange state. One of my co-workers lives outside of Chicago and does own a couple of handguns. He had to come over to Missouri for a couple of days for work, and I took him to one of the gun shops I frequent. He saw a great deal on ammo and asked what he needed to do to buy some. Store owner "will that be cash or charge?". Simply amazed, he bought some ammo and took it back to IL. He showed me the card he has that he has to use even to just purchase ammo in IL.

He showed me the card he has that he has to use even to just purchase ammo in IL.

Yep, we all have those Firearm Owner ID (FOID) cards. After spending two weeks in Tampa, FL and carrying every day while I was there, I really feel odd without my sidearm. I have 20 months before I am done with my current position and move on to a freer state.

Steve

Yep, we all have those Firearm Owner ID (FOID) cards. After spending two weeks in Tampa, FL and carrying every day while I was there, I really feel odd without my sidearm. I have 20 months before I am done with my current position and move on to a freer state.

Steve

Do you really need a card to even buy ammo? Omgosh! That really sucks! I agree about feeling naked when you are in a place you cannot carry. Several years back I visited a friend in upstate N.Y. My day trip to n.y.c. would have been much better if i could have had my usual 21 rounds of Corbon 45 acp ammo on my person. I just didnt feel all that protected with a tiny can of o.c. in my pocket.

Oh wait, n.y.c. has lots of gun control laws to make us safe right? Well then, that place should be crime free. My badd. :sarcastic:

I usually travel internationally a few times a year or so. every time I go I have to get used to feeling naked with no pistol. then coming home it feels great to be able to wear all of my clothes again:)

Imagine, a state with one of the most dangerous cities that restricts any gun possession. They should take a look at DC

I agree with you all , i live in schaumburg,il.can take up to 4 months to get your FOID card.u must have it to buy ammo or even jusy look at a gun & hold it from the glass counter.really stinks out here.knowing the city of chicago with all the crime down there.u cannot even protect yourself from the bad guys.72 hour cooling off period b4 u can pick up your hand gun & 24 hours b4 your long gun.geez, the criminal wait period downtown to get a gun is probably 5 seconds ( as long as it takes to hand over the $$$$ ) & geez, they dont hav to have FOID cards.i so dearly wish we cud get Daley out of office & go CCW.so many good peeps at least deserve to feel safe in the greatest country of the free world.

I agree with you all , i live in schaumburg,il.can take up to 4 months to get your FOID card.u must have it to buy ammo or even jusy look at a gun & hold it from the glass counter.really stinks out here.knowing the city of chicago with all the crime down there.u cannot even protect yourself from the bad guys.72 hour cooling off period b4 u can pick up your hand gun & 24 hours b4 your long gun.geez, the criminal wait period downtown to get a gun is probably 5 seconds ( as long as it takes to hand over the $$$$ ) & geez, they dont hav to have FOID cards.i so dearly wish we cud get Daley out of office & go CCW.so many good peeps at least deserve to feel safe in the greatest country of the free world.

Man that sucks. I feel for all you folks who reside in a state that doesnt have shall issue ccw laws. I have never been to Illinois so i could only imagine what the gun climate must be like there. Very cold im guessing?

Whats the status on the latest attempts at passing a ccw bill there?

I'm in the process of selling my last property holding in Illinois.Have no desire to go back. I was born and raised there, had family there also. The state has a lot of nice friendly people, but the weather sucks!

Do you really need a card to even buy ammo? Omgosh! That really sucks! I agree about feeling naked when you are in a place you cannot carry. Several years back I visited a friend in upstate N.Y. My day trip to n.y.c. would have been much better if i could have had my usual 21 rounds of Corbon 45 acp ammo on my person. I just didnt feel all that protected with a tiny can of o.c. in my pocket.

Oh wait, n.y.c. has lots of gun control laws to make us safe right? Well then, that place should be crime free. My badd. :sarcastic:

Same here in New Jersey. FID it's called here Firearm Idenifcation card. You need it to buy a long gun and an FID + handgun permit to buy a handgun. You need the FID card to buy handgun ammo as well. B.S. and money maker. Now the New Year a law was passed that you only buy 1 handgun a month.

Same here in New Jersey. FID it's called here Firearm Idenifcation card. You need it to buy a long gun and an FID + handgun permit to buy a handgun. You need the FID card to buy handgun ammo as well. B.S. and money maker. Now the New Year a law was passed that you only buy 1 handgun a month.

Yeah I heard about that new law. More uneducated anti-gun B.S!!! Do you suppose the bad guys are going to follow the law and only obtain one handgun a month? :no: Again, I feel for all of you law abiding residents of states that are not shall issue ccw states.

I really hope the Chicago handgun- ban case currently in the S.C.O.T.U.S. goes our way. Maybe that would set the stage for change in the heavily restrictive states.

Yeah I heard about that new law. More uneducated anti-gun B.S!!! Do you suppose the bad guys are going to follow the law and only obtain one handgun a month? :no: Again, I feel for all of you law abiding residents of states that are not shall issue ccw states.

I really hope the Chicago handgun- ban case currently in the S.C.O.T.U.S. goes our way. Maybe that would set the stage for change in the heavily restrictive states.

Yea, it's a bummer the only thing I can hopfull is to move. New Jersey far to many liberals.

~ I really hope the Chicago handgun- ban case currently in the S.C.O.T.U.S. goes our way. Maybe that would set the stage for change in the heavily restrictive states.

Glad you mentioned The Chicago Case, I was just started reading the NRA Brief that was filed back on the 16th. Try this link:
Link Removed

I live in Illinois and I have to tell you that the state does have some crazy gun laws in place. We are praying for a favorable ruling in the Supreme Court case to be decided this summer. If they do rule in our favor maybe Mayor Daley will stop his stupid war on guns. This guy has 44 armed body guards for 24/7/365 protection and then tells the people if they come under a deadly attack to call 911!! We law abiding citizens of Illinois are working very hard to gain our rights given to us by our creator and protected by the Constitution of the United States, but I must admit it has been a neverending battle. I am involved in the NRA, Illinois State Rifle Association, ICarry, IGOLD, and other groups to turn this state around. The Firearms Owners Identification Card (FOID) registers the person not the gun. All gun owners (with the exception of criminals!) must have a FOID card to possess a firearm, to touch a firearm, or to buy ammunition for a firearm. This is nothing more than a way for the state of Illinois to get money from the law abiding gun owners in Illinois. It's a sham and nothing more. We are working every day to get concealed carry passed in our state. There must be something good about concealed carry because in Chigago (where you can't possess a handgun) if you are elected to the Chigago city council, you automatically are sworn in as a deputy of the county of Cook so you can carry a hand gun for protection!! So these council members get to carry for protection and then tell the residents you need to call 911 if your life is being threatened! Ya gotta love it! But one thing is for sure, the pro gun, pro concealed carry, pro second Amendment warriors are never going to give up here in Illinois. We're right, their wrong and we will save our God given rights. I just finished the 4-day defensive handgun course at Front Sight training in Nevada along with the CCW course. I now enjoy the ownership of my Florida CCW and waiting on the Nevada CCW. For me when I visit Florida and Nevada it will be a bit unusual to be carrying but I will get used to it. I do wish I would see someone post a very defined listing of CCW laws for each state only stating the requirements for driving through each state. I travel by car quite a bit and it would be very helpful to know what laws are in place for CCW holders just passing through each state. If this list is available please let me know. It's great to be a member of this organization and I know one day Illinois will join the other 48 states that have CCW. Then Wisconsin will the the only holdout!

Yep here in New Jerkistan it's the same way. We call it a FID (Firearms Identification) card. We need it to buy a long gun and a handgun permit which you need for every handgun purchased. Handgun ammo you need the card to purchase it. I don't buy much handgun ammo here. I use cheaper than dirt or others. Surprisingly they ship ammo here no problems. At least for now.

The irony of all these laws is that the Supreme Court has ruled that felons are exempt from most gun laws because filing any paperwork would be self-inciminating and violate the 5th amendment.

Yep here in New Jerkistan ....
You owe me a keyboard ---I spit my coffee from my nose when I read your state's description in one word!!! :sarcastic:

G50AE said:
]I can only find one reason to go to Illinois for any signifigant length of time. Link Removed And after about a month and a half, I'd run out of classes to take.
And I suppose you don't pack when you are out there in Killinmenois...:fie:

Same here in New Jersey. FID. . . You need the FID card to buy handgun ammo as well. B.S. and money maker. .

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD IT IS A "MONEY MAKER"
They don't care, because they know it doesn't reduce crime. :no:
But they can make money taxing gun owners. :angry:
Why do you think Florida, Penn, etc are so open to non-resident licenses??? :sarcastic:

BTW I live in Illinois, and have lived in several other states. Lousy gun laws here in Daley's Fifedom, but otherwise nice place to live.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back