Az Senate Approves Concealed Weapons Law

rsdonb

Az Senate Approves Concealed Weapons Law
Would allow concealed weapons without permit
Updated: Tuesday, 23 Mar 2010, 4:46 PM MDT
Published : Tuesday, 23 Mar 2010, 4:46 PM MDT

PHOENIX, Ariz. - The Arizona Senate has given preliminary approval to legislation that would make Arizona the third state allowing people to carry concealed weapons without a permit.

The Senate approved the measure in a voice vote on Tuesday. Preliminary approval sets the stage for a formal vote in the Senate. Passage would send it to the House.

The measure would make it legal for U.S. citizens 21 or older to carry concealed weapons in Arizona without permits now required. Currently, carrying a concealed weapon in the state without a permit is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

By eliminating the permit requirement, Arizonans no longer would have to undergo background checks and take training classes to carry hidden guns.

Texas is planing on giving every one over 21 a fully automatic Sig rifle and 10000 rounds of ammo. The only requirement is you have to stand guard one week a year on the border. Sorry I was just daydreaming.:sarcastic: Really though congrats to AZ for the decision.

How does this impact the Federal Gun Free School Zone laws? You're currently "legal" if you hold a valid permit from the state where the k-12 school is located. I'm all for laws that restore 2A rights, just don't want to see anyone getting pinched for exercising their rights without being fully familiar with applicable laws.

gf

A little update...
Concealed Weapons Bill Heads to Governor
Ariz. House gives preliminary approval
Updated: Thursday, 25 Mar 2010, 6:44 PM MDT
Published : Thursday, 25 Mar 2010, 6:44 PM MDT

PHOENIX - A bill making its way to the Governor could change the way people in Arizona carry guns. As it stands now, if you want to carry a concealed weapon, you have to get a permit.

But the new bill will allow any Arizona resident over 21 to carry a concealed weapon, and they wouldn't have to take the training classes currently required.

Under this law proposal, the 8-hour training class would be optional -- only required if you want to take your concealed weapon to other states.

Victoria Johnson lives in Sun City. She never owned a gun until recently, when she got her concealed weapons permit. She took the 8-hour class required by law, which covered serious legal issues.

She says, "I think that there are things that people need to know, that wouldn't know if they didn't take the class."

Jim Gibbs with Shooter's World worries that if this law passes, there could be a whole group of people carrying concealed weapons who may not use them responsibly.

"Now all of a sudden you have a bunch of people carrying guns and they are going to be carrying where they are not supposed to be," says Gibbs.

The state Senator who introduced the bill is confident the Governor will sign it. Russell Pearce and other lawmakers have tried this before, and Napolitano vetoed it.

Pearce doesn't buy the argument that this bill could create problems. "It is illogical to assume that these laws will prevent bad guys from doing bad things. They restrict good people from defending themselves, from defending you."

Pearce expects the Senate to vote on this as early as next week.

If Governor Brewer signs it, Arizona will join Alaska and Vermont as the only states that don't require a conceal-and-carry weapons permit.

Currently, carrying a hidden firearm without a permit is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

How does this impact the Federal Gun Free School Zone laws? You're currently "legal" if you hold a valid permit from the state where the k-12 school is located. I'm all for laws that restore 2A rights, just don't want to see anyone getting pinched for exercising their rights without being fully familiar with applicable laws.

gf

in United States vs Lopez, the USSC ruled the Fed. Gun Free Zone unconstitutional. In the Ruling the Chief Justice said the Feds have no authority to create gun free zones at schools. the 1990 Law used the Commerce clause.
I hear in 1996 Congress revised the Gun Free school zone bill. but it probably won't fly, since the Lopez ruling said that Congress has no authority to create gun free zones at schools.

Facts of the Case:

Alfonzo Lopez, a 12th grade high school student, carried a concealed weapon into his San Antonio, Texas high school. He was charged under Texas law with firearm possession on school premises. The next day, the state charges were dismissed after federal agents charged Lopez with violating a federal criminal statute, the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990. The act forbids "any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that [he] knows...is a school zone." Lopez was found guilty following a bench trial and sentenced to six months' imprisonment and two years' supervised release.
Question:

Is the 1990 Gun-Free School Zones Act, forbidding individuals from knowingly carrying a gun in a school zone, unconstitutional because it exceeds the power of Congress to legislate under the Commerce Clause?
Conclusion:

Yes. The possession of a gun in a local school zone is not an economic activity that might, through repetition elsewhere, have a substantial effect on interstate commerce. The law is a criminal statute that has nothing to do with "commerce" or any sort of economic

The law is a criminal statute that has nothing to do with "commerce"...
BESIDES...try to go almost ANYwhere in a metropolitan area without being in some sort of School Zone! It's a de facto ban on firearm possession in most urban, and may suburban, areas.

As an Arizona resident for more than 25-years, I was initially against this revision but I now see no problem with it. The permit process would become optional and I believe that more people would still prefer to have the permit for out of State travel or other uses.
Regards,
Dan O.

Texas is planing on giving every one over 21 a fully automatic Sig rifle and 10000 rounds of ammo. The only requirement is you have to stand guard one week a year on the border. Sorry I was just daydreaming.:sarcastic: Really though congrats to AZ for the decision.

Except that Texas seems to be over 50% illegal immigrants. Seriously though, even the billboards south of San Antonio are written in spanish.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back