Aussie moving to Montana!

Longrass

G'Day Guys,

I'm finally sick to death of my country criminalizing my passion for firearms, hunting and fishing.

First I lost my semi-auto centrefires, then my pump and semi shotguns, high cap mags, compact frame and above .38 cal. Now the are working on banning handguns and rifles above .310 cal. I can't go fishing in half the places I could 5 years ago and the licensing fees for boats, license and permits is skyrocketing. They are now working on banning 4WD vehicles in the city.

I own a construction company, hold a commercial pilots license, have a federal and state police clearance and both a firearms and pistol license. But they still don't want me to have handguns....

I've been thinking about getting into LE for a while, but the police in Australia spend more time harrassing law abiding citizens then catching criminals. My plan at this stage is to join a sheriffs office in the north western corner of the state. I love fishing and hunting, as well as the outdoors so I suspect the Glacier region to be the spot for me.

Couple of questions,

Am I able to come on a tourist visa and apply for citizenship if I can find a sponsor?

Can I buy a rifle, like a 10/22 or a nice Varmint rifle to do some hunting while I'm looking around?

Is there much work around at the moment, not necessarily LE, but something to do while I look for a cop job?

Just tell me to piss off if i'm not welcome, but I will greatly appreciate any assistance and info I receive!

Cheers boys

Well, I'll let the boys from Montana address the firearms purchase issues, but I'd like to welcome you to the board and wish you the best of luck. I can't imagine that you wouldn't be welcome anywhere you wanted to settle here!

I don't see anything that says you wouldn't be able to purchase a firearm like you mentioned. You'd sure be more than welcome here if you do decide to move. I think you'd enjoy it quite immensely!!

Am I able to come on a tourist visa and apply for citizenship if I can find a sponsor?
That's more of an DHS issue, but I doubt it. See the State Department for Visa requirements. Since 9/11 the requirements to enter the US have gotten more strict.
Can I buy a rifle, like a 10/22 or a nice Varmint rifle to do some hunting while I'm looking around?
No, you need to be able to qualify for a hunting license to be able to pass a NICS check. Typically those are not issued unless you have something other than a tourist visa. You need to have a work, student or immigration or citizenship to get any State's CCW if they issue to resident aliens at all.
Is there much work around at the moment, not necessarily LE, but something to do while I look for a cop job?
You need to be a US citizen to hold any job in law enforcement in the US. You need at least a work or student visa to be able to find employment here. We're in a recession. I don't know the demographics of Montana. I do know we're hurting badly here in Nevada since our economy centers on tourism.
Just tell me to piss off if i'm not welcome, but I will greatly appreciate any assistance and info I receive!
I don't care if you come here. Just bring enough of that Aussie beer with ya, mate. :yes4:

Montana is a great place for gun owners. I don't know how far reaching it is, but it was within the past 2 or 3 years that the state exempted itself from many federal firearms regulations. Just my kind of place!

G'Day Guys,
SNIP

I own a construction company, hold a commercial pilots license, have a federal and state police clearance and both a firearms and pistol license. But they still don't want me to have handguns....

I've been thinking about getting into LE for a while, but the police in Australia spend more time harassing law abiding citizens then catching criminals. My plan at this stage is to join a sheriffs office in the north western corner of the state. I love fishing and hunting, as well as the outdoors so I suspect the Glacier region to be the spot for me.

Couple of questions,

Cheers boys
A Tourist Visa is not what you need, you need a work visa. Your Australian CPL and construction skills may qualify you as "skilled" person for a visa.
A work visa and legal presence in the USA should allow you to buy any firearm.
To get a concealed carry license requires citizenship in many, but not all states. Open carry is legal in many states, Montana, Idaho and Wyoming all allow AFAIK open carry.
You will want to get a full US CP and that now requires TSA clearance and approval. But you can get a US CP certificate issued on the basis of your Australian license.
Montana often has temperatures of -20 C, so plan on buy clothes.

Other sites to check AOPA Online: Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
USCIS Home Page Citizenship info

Link Removed

ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Federal gun laws
Gallatin County, MT - Concealed Weapon Permits

Shouldn't be any problem buying a firearm here. Since HB-246 passed that might make it a bit easier to do so. I know where I work is desperately hiring. I work at a Prison in Shelby, MT that is understaffed. It's not bad work and the pay is decent.
It's a foot in the door for law enforcement work I think. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. I'll sure do my best to answer them for you!!

I live up in the Bitterroot Valley in northwest Montana. The job market here is very slow and construction here, like many other places, has really declined. However I do see law enforcement positions being advertised quite frequently. For example, there is a position for a police officer being advertised in Hamilton, Montana right now. I don't know how your non-citizenship status would play into seeking that type of job if that is what you want. I'm originally from Louisiana and moved up here about 4 years ago. There are very few prettier places on earth. I'm looking out my home office window at 11,000 foot snow capped peaks at this very moment. The attitude up here is mostly "live and let live". Everyone minds their own business but yet are friendly to lend a helping hand if possible. Best of luck to you. By the way, check out this web-site to explore current jobs in Montana: https://jobs.mt.gov/jobs/seeker/search/search.seek Best of luck in getting to a more freedom loving area of the world.

One thing you have to remember is that you can't just hunt anywhere while you are walking about. Lots of land is private property and you cannot hunt. Some public land allows hunting in certain seasons,

I do not like hunting on public land since you never know what idiot is out there trying to play Daniel Boone.

Best of luck getting to come to "The Land of the "FREE"".

Ken

Good luck there Aussie.

At the worst case scenario of you not being able to own a gun, you can buy, own and oc BP weapons as a non-citizen :)
That's what the ex-felon's do to keep their right to self-defence (assuming they don't ignore the law and illegally own anyway).

I live in Washington State and while I know you are looking to Montana you would be welcome here in Eastern Washington State (Spokane). You can get a 'resident alien concealed pistol licence' with the right paperwork very easily in Washington State. I know the state prison system is always looking for help.

G'Day Guys,

I'm finally sick to death of my country criminalizing my passion for firearms, hunting and fishing.

First I lost my semi-auto centrefires, then my pump and semi shotguns, high cap mags, compact frame and above .38 cal. Now the are working on banning handguns and rifles above .310 cal. I can't go fishing in half the places I could 5 years ago and the licensing fees for boats, license and permits is skyrocketing. They are now working on banning 4WD vehicles in the city.

I've been thinking about getting into LE for a while, but the police in Australia spend more time harrassing law abiding citizens then catching criminals. My plan at this stage is to join a sheriffs office in the north western corner of the state. I love fishing and hunting, as well as the outdoors so I suspect the Glacier region to be the spot for me.

Couple of questions,

Cheers boys

Hello to you.
I see that a couple of good links were provided but think that you might find these a bit closer to what you are looking for:
USCIS Home Page and then scroll down till you see the Visit the US area. Where it say's Extend my Stay.
Visitor Visas - Business and Pleasure

I see santa has told you a bit about Eastern Washington, so if you make it here to Washington State, don't be a stranger.
And thanks for the heads up on what is going on it other parts of the globe.

You might want to forget to mention the part about how you like your gun rights when you apply for your visa. The current federal administration is not gun friendly and if you get the wrong person anywhere along the process they might look for a reason to deny your entry. Once you get here things should go your way soon enough.

Good on ya' mate.

I don't know if you are set on Montana but it's neighbor to the east, North Dakota, is booming in the oil and gas industry and since many unemployed here went there to work there has not been much in the way of homes or apartments to stay in so a lot of construction in that area is happening. I believe most of the work is in western ND which wouldn't be far from MT border.

What is your pilot license? Rotorwing or fixed wing? I read there is a shortage of rotorwing pilots, many needed for offshore drilling shuttles. If it's fixed wing Alaska could always use some good "bush" pilots and they are very gun friendly there. I think with a commercial pilot's license you would have many opportunities available. Maybe you could work for the state police in Montana as a pilot.

Just a thought but if since you like to fish and hunt the southern states are having problems with feral pig, nutria, python and tegu lizard. I believe you can get paid for the capture or killing of all. Nutria is paying 5-10 dollars a pelt. Some farmers are paying good money to slaughter the feral pig. Don't know about the python and lizard.

As a native Montanan I say welcome! I presume you are already living here and have been for the past year or so...please give us an update on your Montana ventures...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back