Arguing with a liberal about Open and Concealed Carry

I can't provide you with numbers, but I can tell you there are plenty of liberals who are pro-gun.

Very true. On the local level, gun rights don't track with convervative vs. liberal. I know plenty of liberals who carry and I know a number of conservatives that think all guns should be banned.

Before Ohio enacted CC laws I made it a point to talk with every LEO I'd meet on the street, asking what they thought of the proposed law. In ALMOST every case (one barney fyffe rent-a-cop was against it but I consider him a minimum wage opportunist who just needed a job, ANY job so....).
All the cops I spoke with were for CCW.
HOWEVER, I lerned not to ask any of the Ohio State patrol officers. I got the same anti-ccw response from them until I met one who was off duty and explained the whole thing to me. At that time, the governor was anti-gun so he hid behind the line: If all the head LEOs approve it, I will sign it into law. So, Buckeye Sheriff's head, Ohio Police chief's head approved of it. BUT, since the head of the State Patrol is APPOINTED by the governor, he will say anything he is told to say or lose his job. Consequently, Ohio didn't get te law signed until the next governor took office. That off duty patrolman also told me that they were ordered from above to tell everyone they, too, were against ccw, as it is dangerous. However, he said off the record that he was all for the law.

Before Ohio enacted CC laws I made it a point to talk with every LEO I'd meet on the street, asking what they thought of the proposed law. In ALMOST every case (one barney fyffe rent-a-cop was against it but I consider him a minimum wage opportunist who just needed a job, ANY job so....).
All the cops I spoke with were for CCW.
HOWEVER, I lerned not to ask any of the Ohio State patrol officers. I got the same anti-ccw response from them until I met one who was off duty and explained the whole thing to me. At that time, the governor was anti-gun so he hid behind the line: If all the head LEOs approve it, I will sign it into law. So, Buckeye Sheriff's head, Ohio Police chief's head approved of it. BUT, since the head of the State Patrol is APPOINTED by the governor, he will say anything he is told to say or lose his job. Consequently, Ohio didn't get te law signed until the next governor took office. That off duty patrolman also told me that they were ordered from above to tell everyone they, too, were against ccw, as it is dangerous. However, he said off the record that he was all for the law.

In what kind of a Banana Republic do we live for that sort of shenanigans?

That's the interesting thing. I've not yet met a LEO (conservative or liberal) that is anti-gun.

I have... years ago. He as assigned as the resident high school cop and he flat out admitted that he wished he didn't have to carry a firearm and that if it was up to him, he wouldn't. His wife was also a cop, a very pretty blond lady, and she was just the opposite.

I did not read the threads but the title of this thread tells me what my answer has been for at least the last 4 years. I do not argue with liberals, I look at them, give them a few choice adjectives about their intelligence, spit a pile of phlegm on the ground, turn around and walk away. Things in this country are just too damn bad to waste time on conversation--it will change nothing. I have my like-minded friends and relatives and no one else means crap to me.

In what kind of a Banana Republic do we live for that sort of shenanigans?

All you have to do is listen to what Sheriff Joe said recently: I'm happy to be ELECTED rather than appointed so I could do my JOB without any outside interference. I am beholden to nobody but the people who elected (AND re-elect !) me. (might not be an exact quote but that's the gist of it).
The Col who is the head of the Ohio State patrol is appointed so who cares what the people NEED ? After all, he has to kiss the arse of the Guvnah so he can continue being a figurehead and "earning" his paycheck....

All you have to do is listen to what Sheriff Joe said recently: I'm happy to be ELECTED rather than appointed so I could do my JOB without any outside interference. I am beholden to nobody but the people who elected (AND re-elect !) me. (might not be an exact quote but that's the gist of it).
The Col who is the head of the Ohio State patrol is appointed so who cares what the people NEED ? After all, he has to kiss the arse of the Guvnah so he can continue being a figurehead and "earning" his paycheck....

This is why sheriffs have more power and authority from us than do police chiefs.... or secret service or FBI or DEA or any of the other enforcement agencies.

Trying to argue with "anti's" is like trying to teach a pig to sing...................It waste your time and annoys the pig.............

Hello all, first post here. I am from Oklahoma, and as you probably know, the recent passing of the open carry law in Oklahoma is causing some liberals to get their panties in a wad...unfortunately, I carpool and work with a loud mouthed liberal who is completely anti-gun and hence, anti carry anything. I do not currently posses a Carry permit, but it is on my list of to-do's very soon. I, of course, am very pro-carry, and I got into a very heated argument with this liberal moron today about the carry status in Oklahoma. He rambled on about how every person that has a carry permit thinks they are John Wayne, and that he is now going to be gunned down in a hail of crossfire from an irresponsible open carrier. He has every typical liberal argument on hand, and appears as if he spends to much time on the internets reading liberal blogs. Therefore, I would like to turn to everyone in this forum for ammo (no pun intended) against his liberal remarks. I have told him over and over that every single person that I know who permit carries are the most responsible, law abiding citizens I know who have absolutely no intention of ever using their weapon. Can you guys and gals provide sound statistical data on concealed and open carry incidences, links to helpful websites, etc. I'm fairly educated on open and concealed carry in Oklahoma, but I would like to tap into the useful knowledge available through the users of this website. I need the good information that will shut this anti-gun liberal up. Thank you in advance for your help and insight.

Tell him that you have a carry permit and youve been carrying the whole time. Then ask him how many people youve killed. That shut my dad up. If you think this guys annoying, my dad will blow your mind.

First, I am a liberal. Second, I am very pro gun having been raised in the south, lol. I grew up in Kentucky which is open carry. But being open carry, you never hear of some idiot going on a shooting spree, except for the very rare idiot that obtained a gun illegally. As far as carrying concealed, I would much rather someone be trained and educated carrying guns, than someone who has no responsibility carrying one. The theater shooting would have ended alot sooner if someone there had been carrying.

First, I am a liberal. Second, I am very pro gun having been raised in the south, lol. I grew up in Kentucky which is open carry. But being open carry, you never hear of some idiot going on a shooting spree, except for the very rare idiot that obtained a gun illegally. As far as carrying concealed, I would much rather someone be trained and educated carrying guns, than someone who has no responsibility carrying one. The theater shooting would have ended alot sooner if someone there had been carrying.
The can of worms has been opened....

I would just say, "You're right"...and smile...

CONCUR! That really pisses them off. Arguing with anti-gun liberals is a maddening undertaking. They will attack you personally, use stupid analogies and everything other than facts to support their position. The "John Wayne" argument is one of my favorites. I know it's difficult but do yourself a favor and try to ignore him.

CONCUR! That really pisses them off. Arguing with anti-gun liberals is a maddening undertaking. They will attack you personally, use stupid analogies and everything other than facts to support their position. The "John Wayne" argument is one of my favorites. I know it's difficult but do yourself a favor and try to ignore him.

While I like a good discussion with the other side every now and then,,,,,

Ignoring a liberal always gets a good rise out of them. Cheap entertainment for the whole family.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back