ARD's and optic flash

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
Use an ARD (anti reflective device) to greatly reduce optic flash. An ARD is a honeycomb structure that the objective lens of the scope looks through to achieve it's function. It will keep you from spooking Elk or deer and will also make it a lot harder for an optic to be revealed by it's flash. Snipers have been using them for years and they work great. All of my scopes have been fitted with ARD's and I like the extra bit of sunshade it affords me when shooting late in the day by preventing stray rays from entering at an angle and producing sunflares in my optics that obscure targets.

GET AN ARD! It will be the best money you have spent yet on your scope.

Dose this anti-reflective device reduce light through the scope? Seems like the idea would....

They don't block very much light

They do not darken a scope more than your average sunshade does. It is more useful and prohibits optical detection devices from finding your scope unless they are pretty much in line with your bore. That is a tactical plus.

The fact that there will not be a noticeable flash in the presence of game animals is a hunting plus.

The fact that 99% of folks who have rifles do not know this makes it a great aid to you when you need to know who is a serious rifleman/hunter simply by looking at their gear.

Festus I was ready some on the ARD and some were saying that it cuts down on clarity of the scope also. Have you seen this?

Also what are some of the differences between say a 3" sun shade and one of the honey comb ARD?

Thanks for the info.

I STARTED USING ARD'S IN the USAF

Festus I was ready some on the ARD and some were saying that it cuts down on clarity of the scope also. Have you seen this?

Also what are some of the differences between say a 3" sun shade and one of the honey comb ARD?

Thanks for the info.

They do not reduce clarity. I see individual bullet holes in the target with my scope. I have a 1" thick honeycomb installed in a 5" sunshade. It is not dark and I can shoot even when light steams down other scopes such as late afternoon.

I don't really have a need for 'Anti-Detection' devices.
We used them back in the Marines, but I don't hunt people anymore...
They are just to soft and mushy for my tastes, and they stink when you clean them! :sarcastic:

One tip to keep from being detected is to stripe the front of the ARD with camo color so you don't have that 'Black Eye' sticking out there to be detected.
If you have ever looked at someone looking at you through a scope, you know the 'Black Void' I'm talking about,
It can be seen 500 or 600 yards away with any 'Flash'...
Striping the front face in camo colors will break up that 'Black Eye' to stop detection if that is your goal.

Same with that scope cover sticking up! Camo that cover, FRONT AND REAR!
It's a black eye that can be detected from a LONG way off.
What I used to pick out the trainees by was them flipping open that scope cover! That black movement can be seen a LONG way off and quickly detected!

They do help reduce 'Flair' on the objective lens when the sun is low, and that can be a big help if some idiot arranged the gun range facing south, or you are shooting in the early morning or late evening into the sun.

Guys with big objective optics will have problems finding an ARD that fits.
They don't make them real large yet...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back