Any word on WI concealed carry reciprocity with other states?

sardog1

Has anyone heard about Wisconsin's concealed carry reciprocity with other states? Just wondering if I'll need to get a Utah permit as well.

Great forum by the way!

Good in Indiana!

I can tell you that a Wisconsin permit is good in Indiana a Indiana recognizes all other states' permits.

Arizona DOES NOT recognize all other states' permits automatically. I know for a fact that they do not recognize Indiana permits, unless it has changed in the last year which I don't think it has.

Arizona DOES NOT recognize all other states' permits automatically. I know for a fact that they do not recognize Indiana permits, unless it has changed in the last year which I don't think it has.

AZ Reciprocity

the statute:

13-3112

T. This state and any political subdivision of this state shall recognize a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state if both:

1. The permit or license is recognized as valid in the issuing state.

2. The permit or license holder is all of the following:

(a) Legally present in this state.

(b) Not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm in this state.

Yep, just checked it out. The table on that page has changed since I last looked at it. The verbiage always read the same but the table used to have another column showing what permits Arizona recognized and Indiana was not included because they required no "training" for their permits. I guess it HAS changed, probably since Arizona relaxed its permit requirements and got rid off the requirement to have one.

The last time I checked was shortly after the last renewal requirement change, they probably hasn't updated the site yet.

Ok everyone calm down........

We have to wait until the Wisconsin DOJ posts reciprocity agreements and have to wait until the WI Sec. Of State published the "rules and regs"
I CAN say that,from conversation with the DOJ in WI,that they are considering reciprocity with states that have a training requirement and BG checks (EXAMPLE AZ,VA,ect ect) They LOUDLY STATED that they will NOT honor the PA permit.(no provision for training) This is as of 08 July 2011. Will keep you all posted.

REMEMBER: OPEN CARRY is legal in Wisconsin and towns will NOT arrest you for disorderly conduct(as ruled on by the WI Sup. Court) You MUST have a Gov't ID and your weapon must NOT be concealed in any manner.
Congrats to the State of Wisconsin for CCW!

NOW HELP US HERE IN ILLINOIS GET IT PLEASE!:angry:

We have to wait until the Wisconsin DOJ posts reciprocity agreements and have to wait until the WI Sec. Of State published the "rules and regs"
I CAN say that,from conversation with the DOJ in WI,that they are considering reciprocity with states that have a training requirement and BG checks (EXAMPLE AZ,VA,ect ect) They LOUDLY STATED that they will NOT honor the PA permit.(no provision for training) This is as of 08 July 2011. Will keep you all posted.

REMEMBER: OPEN CARRY is legal in Wisconsin and towns will NOT arrest you for disorderly conduct(as ruled on by the WI Sup. Court) You MUST have a Gov't ID and your weapon must NOT be concealed in any manner.
Congrats to the State of Wisconsin for CCW!

NOW HELP US HERE IN ILLINOIS GET IT PLEASE!:angry:

That's not the wording in the law.... :-(

Ok.....

Would you care to quote the law then please?
According to the DOJ, you can openly carry in the State of Wisconsin.

Please cite the chapter of this law you are talking about so that we can all be educated about it.

Thanks!

The only thing the law says is:

(18) Reciprocity agreements. The department may enter into reciprocity agreements with other states as to matters relating to licenses or other authorization to carry concealed weapons.

The Link Removed mentions only that background checks to be required.

Thanks all, I guess it is a bit early to tell. Let me share with you a little episode that happened yesterday.

Yesterday after returning from A CCW course, I contacted the local PD to ask if they would fingerprint me for a Utah CCW Permit. I called dispatch first to pose the question, the nice lady said sure, if you are a village resident bring your driver’s license and $10.00. So I drove over there and paid my $10.00 and waited for an officer to print me. He darn near freaked out when he heard what I wanted and right away tried consulting the policy and procedures book finding nothing written for this scenario! Meanwhile, the dispatcher calmly called the supervisor on duty and got the OK. So, for the next 45 minutes, I had a great conversation with that officer (a gun nut), got my print card filled out and made a new friend. Turn out he is all for responsible citizens being able to carry. They have had a few encounters with folks open carrying and all ended well after the contact. I was the first person that they knew of to come to the department for this reason. On the way out I was stopped by the dispatcher and three other officers and answered questions that I just happened to learn the answers to in class! There will be a learning curve for both LE (Law Enforcement) and citizens alike.

Reciprocity

Ok, while WI MAY(emphasis on MAY) enter into reciprocity with other states,
It still REMAINS TO BE SEEN FROM THE DOJ

As per a conversation I had with DOJ,
they stated that they are CONSIDERING agreements with States that offer Training,Background and Range Live Fire Discipline.
They HAVE NOT stated VERBATIM that they are or are not entering into these agreements.

SHOULD YOU have questions, The WI DOJ can be reached at
1 608 266 1221
1 414 227 2100

The AG office for WI is

AG JB Van-Hollen
PO BOX 7857
Madison WI 53707-7857

It also appears that Lauren Cnare, that anti gun Alder HAG from Madison is
REALLY REALLY quiet suddenly.

PA pemits reciprocity with WI

WISCONSIN has stated that they will accept permits from those states that perform
NCIS BG Checks.
Insofar as PA not being on the list,you can voice your concern over that to the AG office in Wisconsin.They are getting input from many areas,cardholders,agencies ect ect. The number for the WI AG is posted above.

As of last conversation I had with them,7/13/11,they were looking into reciprocity with those states that require a BG Check and Training. PA only requires that you have permit issued from the state you reside or in Illinois case a valid FOID.

They (WI) MAY not accept that permit but Im sure phone calls in defense of Denny
Nau and PA CCW will be taken under active consideration.:man_in_love:

This was also the conversation I had with DOJ as well. So in essence they will accept most to all permits. Im not sure I know of a state that DOESNT require a background check.(barring of course Vermont,Arizona,Wyoming and others that afford constitutional carry on Valid US ID only)

Info as I get it......

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back