Any thoughts on the compact hi-point 9

HiPoint01.jpg

I'm convinced ............. gonna runz right out and gitz me one.
2udu711_th.jpg

Your concern about the firing pin is valid, however, this gun has a magazine safety, so as long as you eject the magazine first, that issue shouldn't be a concern.

GB-Boater:256782 said:
I have a C9 and have over a thousand rnds through it without a failure. The gun is large for concealed carry, but makes a good nightstand unit as it will take +p+ ammo. It's a fun gun to plink with at the range and it's easy on your hand. It will also exceed your accuracy expectations.

Biggest Concern: It uses the firing pin to eject spent shells. This means you should not eject a live rnd, it has the possibility of firing when the shell would be half ejected.

I keep the C9 on my boat without a chambered shell. I also carry it in the Jeep when we go on desert runs in Yuma. The desert load is a shot shell used for snakes when/if needed.
For Concealed Carry, I use my LCP or LC9 with a chambered round.

Link RemovedOK, SBG -- your photo proves what, exactly? We know nothing about the round being used. Was it a handload gone bad? What was the overall condition of the firearm to begin with? Was it well-maintained? The following photo could be used to make the same argument about firearms manufactured by any number of companies. Click on the thumbnail and see if you can identify some of the popular manufacturers of the guns ruined during use!

Link Removed

I have a hi point comp 9 it is very accurate paid 119 for it years ago it is fun to shoot will cycle anything I run through it. Everytime I pull trigger it goes bang. I wouldn't carry it everyday because of bulk and weight but it is as reliable as any other manufacture that I have

A friend of mine went into a popular gun shop recently wearing a Hi-point T-shirt (not sure why). The owner asks "Does your washing machine jam when washing that shirt?" Thought that was funny.

Truth be told, I don't own a Hi-Point, never fired one, and probably never will.

Link RemovedOK, SBG -- your photo proves what, exactly? We know nothing about the round being used. Was it a handload gone bad? What was the overall condition of the firearm to begin with? Was it well-maintained? The following photo could be used to make the same argument about firearms manufactured by any number of companies. Click on the thumbnail and see if you can identify some of the popular manufacturers of the guns ruined during use!

Link Removed

8xsqj5_th.jpg
... Seriously.

It's nice to know as a 63 yr old, retired plant manager, I'm a kid and a thug.

Serious side: Wife can rack the C9, it's heavy weight makes for a light recoil, it's very accurate, and the sa is easier for her. She can't rack either Ruger, the recoil of the light weight pistols is too much for her, and the DOA is hard for someone with carpal tunnel. The gun has a place in our home.

ezkl2230:256956 said:

Link Removed

Looks like same type of damage to almost every gun pictured. Id say it is more likely an ammo problem than a gun problem. Maybe people who don't know how to reload properly shouldn't do it.

Have you seen the You-Tube were they pound a bolt into the barrel and clamp it. Then put the gun in a vice, tie a string to the trigger, back off a safe distance, and pull the string ?

I've got about 500 through the C9 with out issue. Got a few thousand through my block 17 with no issues as well. I have about 400 round through the lc9 with no issues. The thing about accuracy is it come from behind the gun. I got the c9 for a budget home defense gun.

What was this video supposed to prove?

That if you've ever pounded a bolt into the business-end of a semi-auto handgun and then C-clamped that bolt against the butt end of the slide so as to cause a catastrophic failure on purpose, you might be a redneck!

All props to Jeff Foxworthy - No attribution needed to use it in your show, Bro! :biggrin:

Blues

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to Police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

Good definition of gun control!

I thought that it was intersting to see the quality of the metal that is used for the slide. At the :35 second mark it gives you a good view.

Edit

Here is the difference between cheaper and more expensive guns.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/hk-kb.html

After a KaBoom the HK was sent in and all it needed was a new frame to be back in business.

With a HiPoint you spend the rest of your life being called stumpy.

I thought that it was intersting to see the quality of the metal that is used for the slide. At the :35 second mark it gives you a good view.

Edit

Here is the difference between cheaper and more expensive guns.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/hk-kb.html

After a KaBoom the HK was sent in and all it needed was a new frame to be back in business.

With a HiPoint you spend the rest of your life being called stumpy.

Are you suggesting that the catastrophic failures were essentially the same? The poster from The High Road whose pistol was being discussed in your link said there was "obviously" some kind of obstruction in the barrel, but he offered no explanation for how it might have gotten there between shooting some OEM ammo and loading up the gun-show ammo. The fact that the barrel on the HK was still useable in the rebuild suggests there was no bulging or evidence of excess pressure in the upper at all, which suggests to me that the poster was mistaken about an obstruction being present. But even if there was an obstruction that moved out through the muzzle when he fired the overloaded cartridge (assuming he's right about that too), causing no damage to any part of the upper, that's hardly comparable to hammering a bolt into the muzzle and then C-clamping it against the opposite end of the slide, turning the weapon into something more analogous to a pipe bomb than a working handgun. No matter how much the quality in materials varied between the two weapons, if the HK had been rigged the same way, it too would've exploded the upper.

As I was typing the above, it occurred to me that some may not have ever seen the longer version of the High-Point video, and may not know how that "experiment" was set up. Take a look, and you'll see what I mean about the materials not making any difference:

That was the last in a series of videos those guys did in which they concocted every manner of torture-test they could come up with in an effort to prove or disprove, as the case may be, that Hi-Points are inherently junk. Turning it into a literal pipe-bomb was the only "test" that caused a catastrophic failure.

I'm not defending Hi-Point. I personally would not own one because of the bulk and weight. But there is very little evidence out there that supports the rather common contention that they're pure junk. I think all the people who own one that have posted in this thread say they're reliable, and the guys in that video seem to agree. They couldn't even make one blow the lower up when they were trying, so I guess they're even more reliable than an HK USP! LOL

Blues

Hi-Point seem to get such a bad rap and seems to be a lot of "I read this or I heard that". I happen to own 3 Hi-Points, and yes, while they are a heavier handgun, that also seems to make recoil not as severe and a gem to fire several mags thru on the range. The .380 is my EDC the 9mm is usually in my vehicle and the 45 is at home. For the money and warranty alone, that makes them a decent investment for starting your self defense inventory. But for true conceal carry weapons I am partial also to the Cobras and Rugers.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back