America: Graduating from God? by Chuck Norris

America: Graduating from God? Part 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Chuck Norris
Posted: June 14, 2010
© 2010

Last week in America: Graduating from God? Part 1, I discussed a series of evidences about how God is being omitted from American life, culture and politics. In Part 2, I will detail the No. 1 advocate for a godless society: our president.

I believe there is no greater proponent of disposing deity and godly influence over government and society than President Barack Obama, who is right now spearheading a purely secular progressive agenda unlike any leader since America's inception.

First, even during his campaign for the presidency, Obama sarcastically belittled America's Judeo-Christian heritage and degraded its adherents with trite remarks typical of any atheistic antagonist: "Whatever we were, we are no longer a Christian nation"; "The dangers of sectarianism are greater than ever"; "Religion doesn't allow for compromise"; "The Sermon on the Mount [is] a passage that is so radical that our own defense department wouldn't survive its application"; and "To base our policy making upon such commitments [as moral absolutes] would be a dangerous thing." (See the YouTube video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df6vXLytoWg: "Barack Obama on the importance of a secular progressivism.")

And gone but not forgotten is Obama's religiously belittling statement on the campaign trail in April of 2008 about many residents in small-town America. You might recall, at a private California fundraiser, when he addressed the economic hardships of those in Pennsylvania, he quipped: "You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. … And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion … as a way to explain their frustrations."

Second, Obama has already denied America's rich Judeo-Christian heritage before the eyes and ears of other countries, as he publicly declared in Turkey on April 6, 2009, for the whole world to hear: "We do not consider ourselves a Christian nation." (Who are the "we" to whom he refers? Would our former presidents agree with his "we"?)

Overseas, Obama avoided both America's Christian heritage and his own alleged Christian faith. He was proud to share, "I have Muslim members of my family," but avoided any declaration like, "But I am a Christian"? My primary problem with his choice of words is that, while building up himself and his leadership before the Arab world, he repeatedly belittled the country he led, and that is unbecoming for any president.

By saying America was not a religious nation of any type, Obama implied that America is a secular nation with a secular heritage, which is also an incorrect notion of our people and our history. Any of a number of statements would have been more accurate: "America is a religiously free nation – both people and government." "America is a nation in which we welcome religious diversity." "We are a religiously diverse people, in which the majority still profess Christianity." "We have a religiously free government in which its citizens are encouraged to practice their own religious convictions freely without federal coercion." But Obama used none of these or similar statements.

For Obama to convey that "we are not a Christian nation" intentionally overlooks both our religious heritage and the Christian majority still in America. He could have even said, "America is no longer a Christian nation," but he didn't say that – and even that would have been incorrect. How is it he could speak to largely Arab nations and refer to them all as Muslim, but he can't call America a Christian nation, even though Christianity is the religion to which the majority have always adhered since our founders started it?

By contrast, Thomas Jefferson, hailed as the great separatist who fought against the tyranny of denominational sectarianism in the state (and vice versa), nevertheless endorsed the use of government buildings (like the Capitol) for church services, signed a treaty with the Kaskaskia Indians that allotted federal money to support the building of a Catholic church and to pay the salary of the church's priests and repeatedly renewed legislation that gave land to the United Brethren to help their missionary activities among the Indians.

Third, quite contrary to Obama's negative tone and sentiments about Judeo-Christian belief, in countless speeches over the past year he has sympathized and supported pro-Islamic theology and practice. The New York Times recently published a multiple-page report on how the "White House quietly courts Muslims in the U.S." Obama even refused to say anything when the Muslim jihadist and president of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, publicly accused the U.S. of actively planning and plotting to stop mankind's real savior: i.e., the Mahdi, the imam that Muslims believe will be the ultimate savior of mankind.

Fourth, Obama advocates his secular agenda like other progressives because (so they naively believe) if God can be disposed, government is no longer accountable to a deity. In fact, in so doing, government vies for omnipotence and usurps the position of God. As Obama emphatically declared early in his presidency, "only government" is our savior. That is what's so disheartening about America's present political environment: The majority in Washington is truly convinced that more and bigger government is America's primary solution for recovery, future growth and security.

A clear example of this came out just last month through Obama's Faith-Based Initiative Committee recommendations. Not only is the federal government seeking to minimize the language preachers use through politically correct hate-crime laws, but now the feds are seeking to alter the message they preach as well – from saving souls to saving the earth. Obama's Faith-Based Council specifically recommends, "Bringing the power of 370,000 houses of worship across the country to the fight of climate change by greening buildings and promoting environmental stewardship in their congregations."

As Jews and Christians, we are called to be good stewards of this earth. But that is only one message among thousands of commands in the Bible. And who are the feds to tell churches, clergy and denominations which message to proclaim or emphasize? For Washington to "bring the power of 370,000 houses of worship" to "promote environmental stewardship in their congregations" not only usurps the power of God, Scripture and church governments but is a clear violation and overreaching of federal power, which the First Amendment prohibits. As Jerry Falwell Jr. concluded on Glenn Beck's television show, Obama's faith-based-initiative report reads more like "a church takeover." At very least, it is a slap in the face to the Christian community, which Obama has devalued and disrespected.

The fact is, every time Obama has had an opportunity to stand for Judeo-Christianity in any way, he has not only denied it but dodged it. One of the president's most outrageous duck-'n'-dodge examples happened under the radar last Christmas when he was visiting some children at the Boys and Girls Club in Washington, D.C. In an informal verbal exchange, two distinct times the children unexpectedly brought up to the president the real reason for the season (the birth of Jesus Christ). And both times, when he could have elaborated, explained or encouraged the heart and soul of the Christian message, he awkwardly turned the conversation to a religious-neutered subject. He even left the children with the non-Christmas admonition that "the most important message I can leave is, is that you guys have so much potential – one of you could end up being president some day!"

Lastly, Obama turned a blind eye and deaf ear to anti-Judeo-Christian issues like the Army's rescinding of Franklin Graham's invitation to the Pentagon's National Day of Prayer event, atheists' lawsuits to remove the National Motto ("In God We Trust") off of the walls of the new Capitol Visitors Center in Washington, D.C., the building of a Muslim mosque right next to Ground Zero in New York or the ACLU's disposal of veteran memorial crosses in the Mojave Desert and at Mount Soledad.

I ask again, do others not see the major movement to whitewash God from our culture? Do our governing officials really think eliminating the Almighty is any answer to our problems? Don't they see omissions of God are also avoidances of the very being who can help us out of or through our troubles? Or do we believe that our country can experience true recovery or success without God's intervention or blessing? Does America believe it can graduate without or from God?

Ben Franklin could have been speaking before the president and Congress today when he gave these words at the Constitutional Convention:

In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for the divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard; and they were graciously answered. All of us, who were engaged in the struggle, must have observed frequent instances of a superintending Providence in our favor. To that kind Providence we owe this happy opportunity of consulting in peace on the means of establishing our future national felicity. And have we now forgotten that powerful friend? Or do we imagine we no longer need its assistance? I have lived, Sir, a long time; and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, That God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?
These are three questions every Washington politician in particular needs to answer: "And have we now forgotten that powerful friend? Or do we imagine we no longer need [His] assistance? And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise [again] without his aid?"

God was a passionate part of our founders' plan for America. And God, not government as Obama declared early in his presidency, is still our only hope of getting our lives and country back on track. And I believe that reawakening and restoration can happen – but it's going to take focusing upon one soul at a time to get it done.

Right now, needing our patriot assistance is Rep. Randy Forbes, whose congressional address on America's Judeo-Christian heritage has received 3 million views on YouTube. Forbes, along with the members of the bipartisan Congressional Prayer Caucus, has reintroduced H.R. 397, "America's Spiritual Heritage Resolution." The resolution recognizes our nation's spiritual heritage milestones, rejects current attempts to erase all religious history from public buildings and educational resources and establishes a week for Americans to remember and reflect on spiritual principles upon which our nation was founded. The resolution has gained bipartisan support with 79 co-sponsors. Have your representatives sponsored or supported the resolution? If not, please contact them today to ask they do so.

Glenn Beck put it well in one of his radio broadcasts earlier this year: "I beg of you to help me get this message out … faith is the answer. Get on your knees. Don't let it take a Sept. 11. Please, get on your knees. I don't care what church you go to … just turn to Him."

If Psalm 33:12 says, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord," how would the verse read for the nation who has given God the boot?

I think that is what is called hitting the nail on the head. Thanks for posting this thread Mom.

America: Graduating from God? Part 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Chuck Norris
Posted: June 14, 2010
© 2010

Last week in America: Graduating from God? Part 1, I discussed a series of evidences about how God is being omitted from American life, culture and politics. In Part 2, I will detail the No. 1 advocate for a godless society: our president.

I believe there is no greater proponent of disposing deity and godly influence over government and society than President Barack Obama, who is right now spearheading a purely secular progressive agenda unlike any leader since America's inception.

First, even during his campaign for the presidency, Obama sarcastically belittled America's Judeo-Christian heritage and degraded its adherents with trite remarks typical of any atheistic antagonist: "Whatever we were, we are no longer a Christian nation"; "The dangers of sectarianism are greater than ever"; "Religion doesn't allow for compromise"; "The Sermon on the Mount [is] a passage that is so radical that our own defense department wouldn't survive its application"; and "To base our policy making upon such commitments [as moral absolutes] would be a dangerous thing." (See the YouTube video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df6vXLytoWg: "Barack Obama on the importance of a secular progressivism.")

And gone but not forgotten is Obama's religiously belittling statement on the campaign trail in April of 2008 about many residents in small-town America. You might recall, at a private California fundraiser, when he addressed the economic hardships of those in Pennsylvania, he quipped: "You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. … And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion … as a way to explain their frustrations."

Second, Obama has already denied America's rich Judeo-Christian heritage before the eyes and ears of other countries, as he publicly declared in Turkey on April 6, 2009, for the whole world to hear: "We do not consider ourselves a Christian nation." (Who are the "we" to whom he refers? Would our former presidents agree with his "we"?)

Overseas, Obama avoided both America's Christian heritage and his own alleged Christian faith. He was proud to share, "I have Muslim members of my family," but avoided any declaration like, "But I am a Christian"? My primary problem with his choice of words is that, while building up himself and his leadership before the Arab world, he repeatedly belittled the country he led, and that is unbecoming for any president.

By saying America was not a religious nation of any type, Obama implied that America is a secular nation with a secular heritage, which is also an incorrect notion of our people and our history. Any of a number of statements would have been more accurate: "America is a religiously free nation – both people and government." "America is a nation in which we welcome religious diversity." "We are a religiously diverse people, in which the majority still profess Christianity." "We have a religiously free government in which its citizens are encouraged to practice their own religious convictions freely without federal coercion." But Obama used none of these or similar statements.

For Obama to convey that "we are not a Christian nation" intentionally overlooks both our religious heritage and the Christian majority still in America. He could have even said, "America is no longer a Christian nation," but he didn't say that – and even that would have been incorrect. How is it he could speak to largely Arab nations and refer to them all as Muslim, but he can't call America a Christian nation, even though Christianity is the religion to which the majority have always adhered since our founders started it?

By contrast, Thomas Jefferson, hailed as the great separatist who fought against the tyranny of denominational sectarianism in the state (and vice versa), nevertheless endorsed the use of government buildings (like the Capitol) for church services, signed a treaty with the Kaskaskia Indians that allotted federal money to support the building of a Catholic church and to pay the salary of the church's priests and repeatedly renewed legislation that gave land to the United Brethren to help their missionary activities among the Indians.

Third, quite contrary to Obama's negative tone and sentiments about Judeo-Christian belief, in countless speeches over the past year he has sympathized and supported pro-Islamic theology and practice. The New York Times recently published a multiple-page report on how the "White House quietly courts Muslims in the U.S." Obama even refused to say anything when the Muslim jihadist and president of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, publicly accused the U.S. of actively planning and plotting to stop mankind's real savior: i.e., the Mahdi, the imam that Muslims believe will be the ultimate savior of mankind.

Fourth, Obama advocates his secular agenda like other progressives because (so they naively believe) if God can be disposed, government is no longer accountable to a deity. In fact, in so doing, government vies for omnipotence and usurps the position of God. As Obama emphatically declared early in his presidency, "only government" is our savior. That is what's so disheartening about America's present political environment: The majority in Washington is truly convinced that more and bigger government is America's primary solution for recovery, future growth and security.

A clear example of this came out just last month through Obama's Faith-Based Initiative Committee recommendations. Not only is the federal government seeking to minimize the language preachers use through politically correct hate-crime laws, but now the feds are seeking to alter the message they preach as well – from saving souls to saving the earth. Obama's Faith-Based Council specifically recommends, "Bringing the power of 370,000 houses of worship across the country to the fight of climate change by greening buildings and promoting environmental stewardship in their congregations."

As Jews and Christians, we are called to be good stewards of this earth. But that is only one message among thousands of commands in the Bible. And who are the feds to tell churches, clergy and denominations which message to proclaim or emphasize? For Washington to "bring the power of 370,000 houses of worship" to "promote environmental stewardship in their congregations" not only usurps the power of God, Scripture and church governments but is a clear violation and overreaching of federal power, which the First Amendment prohibits. As Jerry Falwell Jr. concluded on Glenn Beck's television show, Obama's faith-based-initiative report reads more like "a church takeover." At very least, it is a slap in the face to the Christian community, which Obama has devalued and disrespected.

The fact is, every time Obama has had an opportunity to stand for Judeo-Christianity in any way, he has not only denied it but dodged it. One of the president's most outrageous duck-'n'-dodge examples happened under the radar last Christmas when he was visiting some children at the Boys and Girls Club in Washington, D.C. In an informal verbal exchange, two distinct times the children unexpectedly brought up to the president the real reason for the season (the birth of Jesus Christ). And both times, when he could have elaborated, explained or encouraged the heart and soul of the Christian message, he awkwardly turned the conversation to a religious-neutered subject. He even left the children with the non-Christmas admonition that "the most important message I can leave is, is that you guys have so much potential – one of you could end up being president some day!"

Lastly, Obama turned a blind eye and deaf ear to anti-Judeo-Christian issues like the Army's rescinding of Franklin Graham's invitation to the Pentagon's National Day of Prayer event, atheists' lawsuits to remove the National Motto ("In God We Trust") off of the walls of the new Capitol Visitors Center in Washington, D.C., the building of a Muslim mosque right next to Ground Zero in New York or the ACLU's disposal of veteran memorial crosses in the Mojave Desert and at Mount Soledad.

I ask again, do others not see the major movement to whitewash God from our culture? Do our governing officials really think eliminating the Almighty is any answer to our problems? Don't they see omissions of God are also avoidances of the very being who can help us out of or through our troubles? Or do we believe that our country can experience true recovery or success without God's intervention or blessing? Does America believe it can graduate without or from God?

Ben Franklin could have been speaking before the president and Congress today when he gave these words at the Constitutional Convention:

In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for the divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard; and they were graciously answered. All of us, who were engaged in the struggle, must have observed frequent instances of a superintending Providence in our favor. To that kind Providence we owe this happy opportunity of consulting in peace on the means of establishing our future national felicity. And have we now forgotten that powerful friend? Or do we imagine we no longer need its assistance? I have lived, Sir, a long time; and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, That God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?
These are three questions every Washington politician in particular needs to answer: "And have we now forgotten that powerful friend? Or do we imagine we no longer need [His] assistance? And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise [again] without his aid?"

God was a passionate part of our founders' plan for America. And God, not government as Obama declared early in his presidency, is still our only hope of getting our lives and country back on track. And I believe that reawakening and restoration can happen – but it's going to take focusing upon one soul at a time to get it done.

Right now, needing our patriot assistance is Rep. Randy Forbes, whose congressional address on America's Judeo-Christian heritage has received 3 million views on YouTube. Forbes, along with the members of the bipartisan Congressional Prayer Caucus, has reintroduced H.R. 397, "America's Spiritual Heritage Resolution." The resolution recognizes our nation's spiritual heritage milestones, rejects current attempts to erase all religious history from public buildings and educational resources and establishes a week for Americans to remember and reflect on spiritual principles upon which our nation was founded. The resolution has gained bipartisan support with 79 co-sponsors. Have your representatives sponsored or supported the resolution? If not, please contact them today to ask they do so.

Glenn Beck put it well in one of his radio broadcasts earlier this year: "I beg of you to help me get this message out … faith is the answer. Get on your knees. Don't let it take a Sept. 11. Please, get on your knees. I don't care what church you go to … just turn to Him."

If Psalm 33:12 says, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord," how would the verse read for the nation who has given God the boot?
Mom, i agree with you compleetly. but we must remember that obama was raised in a marxist/communist envioroment,freely associated with marxist/communist radicals in collage and attended the so called church of jerimia wright. he is either a athiest or a communist/marxist, he belives he is above God and has shunned the best ally we have in the middle east Isreal. i'm not a bibical scholler but i seem to remember a passage that said anyone who stands with my people isreal i will protect but whoever opposes my people Isreal i shall strike down.

Mom, i agree with you compleetly. but we must remember that obama was raised in a marxist/communist envioroment,freely associated with marxist/communist radicals in collage and attended the so called church of jerimia wright. he is either a athiest or a communist/marxist, he belives he is above God and has shunned the best ally we have in the middle east Isreal. i'm not a bibical scholler but i seem to remember a passage that said anyone who stands with my people isreal i will protect but whoever opposes my people Isreal i shall strike down.

God said, "I will bless them who bless you (Israel) and curse him who curses you (Israel)..." Genesis 12:3 You have a great memory, oldvet. :pleasantry:

If your religion cannot survive in an environment devoid of the use of the power of the state to support it, then it has no claim to the mantle of a "One True Religion".

A spiritual blank slate of a society allows any and all religions which may survive or thrive to do so. This is the America of the 1st Amendment. Deal with it.

If your religion cannot survive in an environment devoid of the use of the power of the state to support it, then it has no claim to the mantle of a "One True Religion".

A spiritual blank slate of a society allows any and all religions which may survive or thrive to do so. This is the America of the 1st Amendment. Deal with it.

The power of the state can only corrupt religion, never ensure its survival. Perhaps you should read a little history of how Rome tried for centuries to conquer the Christian religion which only grew stronger under its persecution, but why bother yourself with the facts.

We don't need the "state" to support it, but it'd be nice if our Christian heritage was even acknowledged by this administration. And oh, yeah, it'd also be nice if the Christian heritage of this nation was not being eradicated by the "state".

Sorry Cathy, you are wrong on this one... There is a difference between letting religions survive or thrive on their own (which is what had been happening in America until the last couple of decades) and intentionally demonizing and forcing out a particular religion, so that opposing views can flourish, which is what has been happening in our country. THIS IS NOT WHAT OUR FIRST AMENDMENT INTENDED.:fie:

There is a problem when my kids get sent home from school with a note saying they can not distribute their Christmas cards at school, and further down the same page on the announcement is a blurb about the Kwanzaa celbration the following day at school, and what a rich "cultural opportunity" it was. :mad:

If we went into a Muslim country and demanded that their religion be put on the back burner becuase it offended us and because we wanted our Christian religion to flourish, we would be executed on the spot. Only in America do we allow such ludicrous things.

Here is what I believe is happening in our world right now.. may God save us all......

"But they refused to pay attention; stubbornly they turned their backs and stopped up their ears. They made their hearts as hard as flint and would not listen to the law or to the words that the Lord Almighty had sent by his Spirit through the earlier prophets. So the Lord Almighty was very angry.

Zechariah 7:12

You remember the part of the Constitution where our fore fathers said"separation between church and state"? Well, I believe in that separation, but the government seems to want not to believe it. The government does not like it when religious groups influence its policies, so why is it trying to influence the policies of Christian values and beliefs? I tell you why, because it thinks it is beyond God. Silly little human race, it cannot even tell what is going to happen five minutes from now, so how in the hell is it going to get along without its Creator?

You remember the part of the Constitution where our fore fathers said"separation between church and state"? Well, I believe in that separation, but the government seems to want not to believe it. The government does not like it when religious groups influence its policies, so why is it trying to influence the policies of Christian values and beliefs? I tell you why, because it thinks it is beyond God. Silly little human race, it cannot even tell what is going to happen five minutes from now, so how in the hell is it going to get along without its Creator?
1) Please do NOT say that the Constitution states "separation between church and state" IT DOES NOT..
It says the Government will not establish a National Religion.. The term "separation of church and state" did not come into being until 1961 in a Supreme Court ruling.
2) Cathy - The very "RIGHT" you are quoting and depending on for your argument depend on a "creator"...
The Constitution and Bill of Rights were very explicit that our "rights" INCLUDING our 1st amendment right come from "the creator' and NOT government.. As soon as you do away with the creator, you are depending on the government to maintain YOUR rights.. Hummmmm Let's see, how has that worked out in the past??
Shall we ask the People of Germany under Hitler? or shall we ask the Russians under Stalin? Or any one of 50 other examples that are documented history.. (at least documented for now until the government chooses to expunge it from all textbooks, etc)..

I do NOT want a theocracy, I don't want government involved with religion (the founders got THIS right). But what the article is about is a systematic effort to devalue God (in particular Christianity) in America.

Humm.. I don't see the government attacking Muslims(Jihad yes, the religion no), or Buddhist, or Hindus, etc, etc. What is it about Christianity?? Judaism and Christianity (Both worship the same God) are ALWAYS the religion that is trying to be drowned out.. Why is that?? Maybe because, whether recognized or not, it is the one that has the REAL power in it, so is therefore always the true threat to lawless (wo)men.

I'm a live and let live kind of a guy, so long as you are not infringing on the rights of others. Do what you want, just don't ask (demand) that I say it's right...

It should never be a "RIGHT" to do what is WRONG..

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

It does not say "Seperation of Church and State". It says congress shall not establish an official religion, or prevent people from practicing theirs. Every time a court rules school prayer is outlawed, it is preventing the free exercise of the peoples religion. Every time a court rules in favor of an atheist that removes a religious symbol from a public area, they are establishing atheism as the de jure and de facto religion (atheism is just as much a religion as any other). The framers of our Constitution wanted to prevent a theocracy, they did not want to wipe religion from public view.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

It does not say "Seperation of Church and State". It says congress shall not establish an official religion, or prevent people from practicing theirs. Every time a court rules school prayer is outlawed, it is preventing the free exercise of the peoples religion. Every time a court rules in favor of an atheist that removes a religious symbol from a public area, they are establishing atheism as the de jure and de facto religion (atheism is just as much a religion as any other). The framers of our Constitution wanted to prevent a theocracy, they did not want to wipe religion from public view.

+1. Good points.

1961? Try 1802 in a letter from President Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptists Association of Connecticut. The Connecticut Baptists were a minority protestant denomination and they were afraid of the prevailing local government might use their legal powers to persecute them for being a minority protestant denomination. Tommy coined the phrase, "There is a wall of separation between church and state" in his reassuring reply.

Yet, it has often, in my experience, been taken by American religionists that what Jefferson meant to say was that there is a wall of separation between all non-Christian communities and the Government in concert with any and all Christian churches, that Jefferson merely meant to indicate that the government could not tell you how to be a Christian, but that government could tell you that you had to be a Christian. Or, barring such a direct and monstrous claim, that government could simply bar a non-Christian person from enjoying certain rights, privileges, or immunities which Christian Americans enjoyed, or place upon non-Christian persons duties, taxes, or requirements from which Christian persons were immune.

Indeed, for the longest time in America, an avowed Atheist, such as myself, would not be permitted access to the courts in much of America. Obviously, if the rituals of justice required that a witness place his hand on a Bible and swear an oath to god to tell the truth, no such oath from an Atheist would have meaning, and so he would be free to lie in court, where a good, pious, Christian man could not. If an Atheist's testimony in court could so easily be a lie, then they would just not be allowed to give testimony. But, that meant that they were forbidden from being witnesses to a crime and so help their fellows who were wronged, but more importantly, they could not swear out criminal complaints against those that wronged them, and so could be freely targetted for robbery and violence without recourse to the courts. Lovely bit of Christian charity that was. But, as we all know, America is a Christian Nation.

What the 1st Amendment says is plain. Congress, and by 14th Amendment incorporation against states and all local units of government, shall make NO LAW respecting an establishment of religion. Therefore, there can be no law, rule, or regulation, of any kind demanding that any people behave with a certain manner of religiosity. Neither pious Christian behaviour, nor non-Christian religious behaviour could be required. A judge demanding the erection of a stone monolith bearing a Biblical inscription is just as wrong in the Establishment Clause sense as a principal at a public school excoriating a child for praying at lunch. Both the pro-Christian and contra-Christian camps are in error in these cases.

America is to be a religious blank slate, as I've said before. The judge is not permitted to demand the ten commandments be displayed, nor is he permitted to demand that people not display the ten commandments. If some one wishes to display the ten commandments while on court house grounds, that's 110% peachy keen in a Constitutional sense. Likewise, a public school employee cannot lead his school in a prayer, but neither can they prevent a student from engaging in prayer voluntarily. as I've heard it said so wisely, as long as there are tests, there will be prayer in schools.

The public sphere is to be free of institutional religiosity. The school itself cannot put up displays of Christmas trees and manger scenes, nor can it direct the student population to do so in its stead. However, if the students themselves were to, of their own free will, engage in an art project, using private resources to create individual or collective holiday displays for any religion whatsoever, then the school is not permitted to play favourites and say that one group of students' displays may be put up while another is not. If this means that not everyone can be represented, who want to be represented, in the hallways of a given public school, then it means that no one can be represented. It can also mean that if the Principal wants to just avoid all headaches, he can ban all hallway religious holiday displays whatsoever, but what he is not permitted to ban are personal religious displays, for instance, on notebooks and book bags and inside locker doors, on the basis of religion.

If the judge wants to carry his stone tablets with him to the court house every day and display them in his court room, only to take them back home with him at the end of the day, I've got no problem with that, because that's an individual act of faith, but to lay claim to square footage on the court house grounds for a permanent display of religiosity is not kosher with the Establishment Clause. Even with a diversity of separate displays of religious laws, there can only be so much footage devoted to such displays, and so it is inevitable that some religion or denomination or sect would make a co-equal claim to demand its ancient list of laws be put on display and be told no on account of physical space limitations. If it's limited due to space where there are demands for equal treatment, then it's limited right off courthouse grounds.

Dear CathyInBlue, you simply don't understand what Jefferson meant by the "wall of separation." He stated that there was a wall of separation to protect the church from the government, not the other way around. As usual, the liberals are all a$$ backwards and his statement is used completely outside of its original intent, but that is what they do, what is good is bad, what is bad is good. People like Cathy must really turn inside out trying to understand where all of the religious displays in government buildings came from in the first place. They just don't get it, the amendment was to protect the church fro" but there was no provision against Christianity influencing government. That is why the completely demonize all of the Christian references throughout our history until the early 1960's.

People like Cathy...
Alaska, a little harsh directed at Cathy... You could have made your point without the directed barb...

Cathy you are either very intelligent or you copy and paste very well from intelligent people. (No slight intended)

People do not understand (or dis-like) the fact that the country was founded based on Jewish-Christian ethics and references. But because it was, many Jewish-Christian references, statues, and customs were adapted into the government. Rightly or wrongly, it IS the heritage of the nation.. It IS this heritage that has made us a great nation up to this point (well maybe a little short of this point). What is being attempted now is to expunge that heritage from the government; However, the government is NOT an entity unto itself.. As it was said, it is a government by the people, for the people. So long as there are people in the government, the government will take on the personalities of the people within it.. There are those that would do there best to expunge God from Government (restricting the expression of God by those that work within it, despite what was written above). ie: Political Correctness
Is it true that the government is TOO Christian.. Well maybe, but since the majority of people in this country still claim to be Christian, then it is reflecting the "BY THE PEOPLE" make up of the government. To make it more Godless by force, is to deny the majorities right of free expression. Should the people within the government be more sensitive to others being NON-Christian, well most Americans (Including those in the government) need to be more of a lot of things other than more lazy and more ignorant..

I do tend more toward Alaska's view, but always want to do my best to preserve the 1st amendment.. Too many people in this country want to shut down opposing views.. To me, that's unAmerican.
Every person should have the right to express their opinion and prove they are a fool.

To some, that's exactly what I just did.. But that's true for every post on this forum!!!

Welcome to America!!

CathyinBlue, I am certain, because you are a member here at USACarry, that you support the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. As a 2A supporter, it must follow that you also support ALL of the Constitutional Amendments. The 1st Amendment states: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." IMO, that is crystal clear. The United States, unlike England, HAS NEVER established a "state religion". If you can point out to me "The Church of the United States", similar to "The Church of England", I will admit that I'm wrong. In addition, the government is NOT TO PROHIBIT THE FREE EXERCISE OF RELIGION meaning that to erase Christmas, crosses, the Ten Commandments, manger scenes (creches), etc. from public display is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

As a Christian-American, I would NEVER seek to rob anyone of their right to publicly exercise their faith (or lack thereof) and publicly display the symbols of that faith or to celebrate holidays/celebration days connected with their faith. What makes me livid is when Christians and Jews are vilified and persecuted for their faith, but ALL other religions are completely acceptable in the liberal/pc realm. Under the 1st Amendment, you have the freedom and right to be a practicing athiest and I have the freedom and right to be a practicing Christian. It should be that simple...why isn't it?

1961? Try 1802 in a letter from President Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptists Association of Connecticut. The Connecticut Baptists were a minority protestant denomination and they were afraid of the prevailing local government might use their legal powers to persecute them for being a minority protestant denomination. Tommy coined the phrase, "There is a wall of separation between church and state" in his reassuring reply.

Yet, it has often, in my experience, been taken by American religionists that what Jefferson meant to say was that there is a wall of separation between all non-Christian communities and the Government in concert with any and all Christian churches, that Jefferson merely meant to indicate that the government could not tell you how to be a Christian, but that government could tell you that you had to be a Christian. Or, barring such a direct and monstrous claim, that government could simply bar a non-Christian person from enjoying certain rights, privileges, or immunities which Christian Americans enjoyed, or place upon non-Christian persons duties, taxes, or requirements from which Christian persons were immune.

Indeed, for the longest time in America, an avowed Atheist, such as myself, would not be permitted access to the courts in much of America. Obviously, if the rituals of justice required that a witness place his hand on a Bible and swear an oath to god to tell the truth, no such oath from an Atheist would have meaning, and so he would be free to lie in court, where a good, pious, Christian man could not. If an Atheist's testimony in court could so easily be a lie, then they would just not be allowed to give testimony. But, that meant that they were forbidden from being witnesses to a crime and so help their fellows who were wronged, but more importantly, they could not swear out criminal complaints against those that wronged them, and so could be freely targetted for robbery and violence without recourse to the courts. Lovely bit of Christian charity that was. But, as we all know, America is a Christian Nation.

What the 1st Amendment says is plain. Congress, and by 14th Amendment incorporation against states and all local units of government, shall make NO LAW respecting an establishment of religion. Therefore, there can be no law, rule, or regulation, of any kind demanding that any people behave with a certain manner of religiosity. Neither pious Christian behaviour, nor non-Christian religious behaviour could be required. A judge demanding the erection of a stone monolith bearing a Biblical inscription is just as wrong in the Establishment Clause sense as a principal at a public school excoriating a child for praying at lunch. Both the pro-Christian and contra-Christian camps are in error in these cases.

America is to be a religious blank slate, as I've said before. The judge is not permitted to demand the ten commandments be displayed, nor is he permitted to demand that people not display the ten commandments. If some one wishes to display the ten commandments while on court house grounds, that's 110% peachy keen in a Constitutional sense. Likewise, a public school employee cannot lead his school in a prayer, but neither can they prevent a student from engaging in prayer voluntarily. as I've heard it said so wisely, as long as there are tests, there will be prayer in schools.

The public sphere is to be free of institutional religiosity. The school itself cannot put up displays of Christmas trees and manger scenes, nor can it direct the student population to do so in its stead. However, if the students themselves were to, of their own free will, engage in an art project, using private resources to create individual or collective holiday displays for any religion whatsoever, then the school is not permitted to play favourites and say that one group of students' displays may be put up while another is not. If this means that not everyone can be represented, who want to be represented, in the hallways of a given public school, then it means that no one can be represented. It can also mean that if the Principal wants to just avoid all headaches, he can ban all hallway religious holiday displays whatsoever, but what he is not permitted to ban are personal religious displays, for instance, on notebooks and book bags and inside locker doors, on the basis of religion.

If the judge wants to carry his stone tablets with him to the court house every day and display them in his court room, only to take them back home with him at the end of the day, I've got no problem with that, because that's an individual act of faith, but to lay claim to square footage on the court house grounds for a permanent display of religiosity is not kosher with the Establishment Clause. Even with a diversity of separate displays of religious laws, there can only be so much footage devoted to such displays, and so it is inevitable that some religion or denomination or sect would make a co-equal claim to demand its ancient list of laws be put on display and be told no on account of physical space limitations. If it's limited due to space where there are demands for equal treatment, then it's limited right off courthouse grounds.

So much to comment on, so little time. Just these two points: 1) A local school, reflecting the will of the local people, which constructs, say a Nativity scene at Christmas, is NOT passing a law; and 2) I cannot see how one could effectively argue that the Framers intent was a "public sphere...free of institutional religiosity". There is just too much argument otherwise by the Founders themselves to suggest this.

I'll say this for Cathy: unlike some of our other atheist brethren (sistren?) she, so far, argues her point of view without disrespecting or belittling those of us who profess faith in the Almighty. Well done.

All this back and forth BS. You people know what? What our fore fathers wanted or believed is one thing, they are all gone now so we cannot ask them to clarify can we? I am getting out of this stupid discussion because of the one thing I DO BELIEVE, we will all be judged in the end. I do not have a degree in Theology or Philosophy, so I am not qualified to give a credible statement on the future or the past. Hey, I got an idea, ask Obama - I heard he is a Constitutional Lawyer. See, even the educated pros are f_ _ _ ed up on this one.

All this back and forth BS. ... I am getting out of this stupid discussion...
I'm sorry our discussion does not rise to your level of acceptability for your attention. Thank you for removing yourself instead of turning the discussion into something else.

We will see (read) you on other threads..

This thread is exactly that.. a Discussion.. Free Speech.. One of the great things about free speech is you don't HAVE to exercise it..

As for Atheist, I'll fight and die for your right to believe in no God, as I hope that you will fight and die for my (our) right to believe in God... The difference is, in the end, I'll give glory to God (creator) for that "right", and for my life, so I can fight on to preserve that "right". As an Atheist, you will fight for that right because it seems like a good idea to preserve.. To yourself be the glory!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back