Am I legal?

Droidx316

I lived in Florida and got my ccw when I was a resident there, now I am a resident of ohio.My Florida ccw just says state of Florida.I haven't been carrying at all in Ohio because many people say I need a Ohio ccw which I didn't think I did since Florida and Ohio reciprocate.My local sheriff's office said my Florida one would be good to use but local police and forum people say I need a Ohio ccw to be legal.Down the road I will get a Ohio ccw but I want to carry now with the license I got.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using USA Carry mobile app

I lived in Florida and got my ccw when I was a resident there, now I am a resident of ohio.My Florida ccw just says state of Florida.I haven't been carrying at all in Ohio because many people say I need a Ohio ccw which I didn't think I did since Florida and Ohio reciprocate.My local sheriff's office said my Florida one would be good to use but local police and forum people say I need a Ohio ccw to be legal.Down the road I will get a Ohio ccw but I want to carry now with the license I got.

So what, are you going to start a new thread about the exact same topic if you don't get the answers you want in the one you started just a month ago?

There are ambiguous laws nearly everywhere in this country. You've already gotten good advice; ie: talk to a lawyer, talk to the issuing authority where you now live, or talk to the state's Attorney's General office and get an opinion on what sworn officers are allowed to enforce (or not) with the specific set of circumstances you find yourself in.

If you get conflicting answers from "official" sources, you're not going to do any better on an internet forum. Just get the Ohio CCW and be done with it fer cryin' out loud.

Blues

I posted on the wrong forum and didn't realize it was made here.Didn't realize your tampon fell out of your cooter and got your panties in a bunch kid.

As long as the issuing authority in Florida says your license is still valid, then you are legal to carry in Ohio. Here is the reciprocity agreement between Florida and Ohio:

Link Removed

No where in there does it specify that Ohio will only recognize a FL license if it is held by a FL resident. There are states that only recognize resident licenses, like Michigan, but Ohio is not one of them.

I have read that and that's what I'm going by but you have other people like the guy above you saying no it is invalid once I become a resident of ohio which I am.But my Florida license is valid for seven years.So confusing

You basically only have two options. 1 - pay the $50 or whatever it is and get your Ohio license. 2- don't get the Ohio license. If you aren't going to get the license you can leave your gun at home or drive with it and believe that the Fl license will be ok if you need to show it. IF you don't get pulled over by the police and don't shoot anyone no one will ever know you're carrying a gun. Just decide what you're going to do and do it. You're spending wayyyyyy too much time over- thinking it since this is your 2nd thread on same topic and you pretty much got all the possible answers in the first one.

So, look at your two options, make a choice which you're going to do, and move on. Go buy your wife or girlfriend a nice dinner or something to celebrate your decision. :nhl_checking:

Does Florida issue a non resident licence? Does Ohio recognise nonresident licenses? Is your Florida License a non resident license? Are you a Florida resident?

I'm gonna gues "No" you are not legal

I have read that and that's what I'm going by but you have other people like the guy above you saying no it is invalid once I become a resident of ohio which I am.But my Florida license is valid for seven years.So confusing

Have you asked the issuing authority in Florida if your license is still valid? If they say "yes", then I see no problem. No where in Ohio law does it say that an Ohioan has to have an Ohio license.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/content/download/7444/118465/ReciprocityList.pdf

Here is a story about a man with a fl ccl, who is a resident of Ohio.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...non-resident-concealed-carry-permit-loophole/

This is a cc class in MO- one of many- that allow you to apply for a FL ccp. Actually- not sure on this one- but I think any MO cc class allows you to apply for FL ccp period. Another ex. Of out of state residents applying for FL permit. Which OP - I know is not your case- in the order in which it happened. But is similar.

http://john-ross.net/ccw.php

"This $125 (or $100) is for the 4-hour classroom session. At the end of class you will receive course completion certificates that will allow you to immediately apply for Maine and Florida non-resident permits, as these states do not require the range session."

Just update the address on file and the FL license remains valid.

As stated several times in this thread and in response to the OP's original thread several weeks ago, OH recognizes the FL permit. FL issues (prolifically!) to non-residents. And there is no requirement for a resident of OH to obtain an OH permit if he or she possesses one from another recognized state.

If the OP is too "gun shy" to accept this, contact a lawyer.

And if there is a need to carry within a school zone (1000' from a school), get an OH license to be legal. This was also covered in the first thread.

Last edited:
The address on file was updated before I even left Florida and it was mailed to me in Ohio.

The address on file was updated before I even left Florida and it was mailed to me in Ohio.

I think you are good to go. If anyone believes otherwise, please bring proof (e.g. cite the law).

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back