Am I doing it wrong? Questions from a newbie...

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and the encouragement. Its nice to know that we're not starting off on the wrong foot entirely.

Be safe!

Greetings! My husband and I are new to gun ownership and have handled our journey in a similar way. I am in no way qualified to give advice, most likely, since I am new here, too, but, I do have a women's point of view that I would like to offer here. Keep in mind, neither of us had ever shot a pistol until June 1st of this year. We received our CPL in July.

I have a Glock 19 (9 mm) and love it. My husband ended up getting a Glock 19 for himself, too. We did this because we wanted to only buy one type of ammo and, if there were ever to be an instance of confusion, I could shoot his pistol and he could should shoot mine. I have found it difficult to conceal my Glock in most of my summer wardrobe. When I wear my clothing for fall and winter there is no problem. What I have done to work with this is I bought a Gun Totin' Mama's purse with a concealed holster compartment. I love this purse and can draw from it very quickly. I practice drawing from my purse often.

We did just buy a Ruger LCP for me to conceal carry easier with my summer wardrobe. I really do not like shooting with this smaller pistol, however, because it hurts my hands from the recoil. I avoid it and don't really like practicing with it at the range. That said, it is an option available for either of us if we need a deep carry option for any specific day. I have arthritis and it hurts my hands much more than my Glock. In addition, my accuracy is much better with my Glock.

Another thing we did is join a Glock Shooting Team. This has given us the opportunity to have coaching from an excellent instructor and we go to practice every week to hone our skills. I realize that joining a shooting team is not an option for everyone, but, getting into competitive shooting is not something you have to be on a team to participate in. It might be worth looking into, depending on how much you like competition. We just like the opportunity to learn from our coach and from our team members who have similar interest in guns.

Welcome to gun ownership, from one newby to another!

We did just buy a Ruger LCP for me to conceal carry easier with my summer wardrobe. I really do not like shooting with this smaller pistol, however, because it hurts my hands from the recoil. I avoid it and don't really like practicing with it at the range. That said, it is an option available for either of us if we need a deep carry option for any specific day. I have arthritis and it hurts my hands much more than my Glock. In addition, my accuracy is much better with my Glock.

Congratulations on your choice to carry. I just wanted to comment on this portion of the post. Small lightweight guns tend to be rather snappy. The lack of weight adds to the recoil. BUT... If you plan on carrying it don't hesitate to practice with it! If you are lucky enough to be able to shoot where they allow you to draw from the holster even better, but just putting a magazine or two through it every time you shoot will at least let you evaluate and improve your accuracy with it.

The Colt Defender, XDS, and the Glock 36 are good, reliable guns that are relatively small, but powerful. All three have low recoil. The XDS has the smallest grip of the three. Look for a range with guns to rent and shoot as many different guns as possible. Let the choice of gun be up to the one who will carry it.

I also have an LCP for summer carry. At first I really hated shooting it because of the recoil, but the more I shot it, but better I liked it. I don't know if I just got used to it, or if the rubber grip I added to it helped. It absorbs a lot of the shock. But I do not have arthritis either.

Thanks, Peggy and whodat, for your helpful comments. The little Ruger we just bought is very new and I do plan to practice with it more. I am thinking that I must be so used to my Glock that anything different will take more practice. I have found that I love to shoot so practicing with a few magazine full rounds of the Ruger along with my Glock practice won't be too hard for me! And, yes, fudo, I will rent a few other small handguns to try out. I knew when we got the Ruger LCP that it was not going to be my favorite but I can't argue about the ease of concealment it provides. Funny, I don't have any trouble with my arthritis when using the Glock. But, the annoying thing about the arthritis has been that it has never made any sense!

Best Regards!

glockgirl51
I know several people the use Talon Grips on their guns. They have a rubber adhesive grip that adds just a little thickness to the gun. It will soften the shock which may help. They are $17.99. Here is the link. Link Removed

glockgirl51
I know several people the use Talon Grips on their guns. They have a rubber adhesive grip that adds just a little thickness to the gun. It will soften the shock which may help. They are $17.99. Here is the link. Link Removed

The one I have is this one: Link Removed
It doesn't look like much, but it really does help.

This is one of those “if I had it to do over” things.

IMO one of the biggest mistakes I made when I first started out was to go all over the map with calibers. If I was starting out now I would do my best to limit my purchases to two or at the most 3 calibers and if I could I’d limit it to one. (The only reason I don’t now is because I have a .40 S&W that is my Grail gun and my wife has an LCP that she wouldn’t part with but if we could find a smaller 9 that she would carry the .380 would be gone)

Second I’d keep my guns compatible. For instance I have a S&W 6906 compact that I carry when I really need concealment, if I could find a full sized 5906 I’d have two guns that are the same caliber and can take the same (5906) magazine. Plus I believe Kel-Tec makes a pistol caliber carbine that also accepts a 5906 magazine thus shortening my supply chain to the bare minimum.

For Glockgirl I’d say a Glock 26(?) (I’m not a Glock aficionado) to go with the 19 because both accept the 19 magazine and, again, Kel Tec has a PC carbine that also takes the 19 magazine. That way you have a compact, full size and rifle that you only need 1 caliber of ammunition and one type of magazine for.

Thanks to everyone for such great suggestions! I will certainly look into the grips suggested and, yes, Treo, we have the same idea about keeping our guns similar as far as ammo needed and such. Your suggestion about the 26 is something worth looking into further. I did rent a 26 before we purchased our 19's and I remember liking it. And, the Kel Tec carbine suggestion will be most helpful. I didn't realize it would be compatible with our 19 magazines! In the meantime, trying out the grips will my next move since the cost of e grips are so reasonable!

(PS I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread! I am hoping this is helpful information for all newbies!)

And, the Kel Tec carbine suggestion will be most helpful. I didn't realize it would be compatible with our 19 magazines!

The Kel-Tec he's referring to is called the Sub2000, or Sub2K (it cam out when the Y2K scare was in full swing) I WANT one, simply because it is essentially a folding rifle that shoots pistol caliber rounds. You can get them in 9mm and .40, and the 9mm SUB-2000 can be configured in the following magazine types: GLK17, GLK19, S&W59, BERETTA92, SIG226.

-
They are hard to find right now in stores, but available on different auction sites. The bad thing is that while they retail for $400, which was a BIG part of their appeal, the auction sites usually have them for about twice that.
Link Removed

Thanks to everyone for such great suggestions! I will certainly look into the grips suggested and, yes, Treo, we have the same idea about keeping our guns similar as far as ammo needed and such. Your suggestion about the 26 is something worth looking into further. I did rent a 26 before we purchased our 19's and I remember liking it. And, the Kel Tec carbine suggestion will be most helpful. I didn't realize it would be compatible with our 19 magazines! In the meantime, trying out the grips will my next move since the cost of e grips are so reasonable!

(PS I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread! I am hoping this is helpful information for all newbies!)

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 pistol caliber rifle.

Here's the Kel-Tec gallery of one of the best firearms photographers on the planet, Oleg Volk. Many of the marketing pictures that you see of firearms are his work.

If I recall correctly, this is a picture of his 15 year old daughter firing the Sub 2000:

sub2000_8900.jpg

And this is a "go bag" with a S2K in its folded condition, with a Glock (19?) included in the kit:

cased2.jpg

Customizing a S2K is easy.

sub2000_tricked-out_0690.jpg

A 9mm's ballistic profile is significantly improved by being fired from a rifle barrel, and the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 is one of the most versatile, as well as one of the least expensive, platforms for squeezing the most velocity and energy out of the 9mm round out there. And yes, they are made to accommodate the Glock 19 magazines.

And finally, for all the ladies looking for advice on concealed carry or weapon choice from a female perspective, I ran across this young lady's YouTube channel a couple or three years ago, and it has turned out to be the first place my wife goes when evaluating different carry methods for herself. Here is the link to her Channel, and this is one of her early videos on different holsters she's either tried or that she uses on a regular basis. Hope it helps.

Yeah , you don't and it's not.

Meh. He posted pics at one of the gun forums of a friend's 15 year old daughter that he took of her shooting then. Big freakin' deal.

If he really is your boss, tell him I'll make the drive to CO to help him shove the butt-end of a folded S2K up your contrarian a$$ when he's finally had enough of your crap. Go hump someone else's leg for a change, hypocrite.

Blues

Meh. He posted pics at one of the gun forums of a friend's 15 year old daughter that he took of her shooting then. Big freakin' deal.

He's posted a picture or two of a 12 YO under the name Tiffany Tweet but the woman in the picture isn't her.

And Oleg lives in Nashville (or right around there close)

If he really is your boss, tell him I'll make the drive to CO to help him shove the butt-end of a folded S2K up your contrarian a$$ when he's finally had enough of your crap. Go hump someone else's leg for a change, hypocrite.

Blues

Oh and while we're at it let's make certain this post that includes a threat of violence remains on public display

Kimber makes the ultra carry with 3" barrel, weighing only 25oz.... Link Removed

I used to carry the Kimber Ultra II 3". I stopped carrying it because the edges of the grip printed really bad for me. I hated having to move on to something else. I considered having a bobtail conversion done on it, but after paying close attention to what was printing, that wouldn't have me helped much. I love that gun and it is an awesome shooter. darn...now I want to go take her to the range! :)

Anyway, I ended up finding that I could carry an XD subcompact (as well as a compact depending on attire) much easier. I didn't think I would be able to carry a double-stack when the slim 1911 didn't work out. I've been very pleased with it. Between my Kimber and my XD, I'm a happy girl with an awesome Husband who encourages my "accessorizing". ;)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back