ABC 20/20 next Friday 01/31/2014 small Children finding firearms at homes.

rifleshooter474

Next Friday 01/31/2014 ABC 20/20 has a program showing children finding firearms at homes. Also they are showing adults showing small children how to shoot at a range. It's another ABC anti-firearm program you can bet.:eek:

To bad they are mixing responsible behavior (teaching children about firearms) with irresponsible behavior (not securing firearms from curious children.)

I agree it will be another anti-gun show. Unforunatly there are so many 2nd amendment supporters that make their argument for them. Just watch YouTube to see many videos where you say to yourself, Really? All of my guns and my wife's are kept locked in safes unless on our person. I keep my boys BB gun in the safe as well. We have three young kids. I am teaching my children to shoot responsibly young. I started teaching at age 6. My boys will not run through the house with their finger on the trigger of their toy cap guns. I believe in building muscle memory young. I can't wait to see the liberal propaganda.

Just because a child knows how to handle a firearm doesn't mean they have the maturity or mental capacity to act responsibly with firearms. Children should not have unsupervised access to firearms. They simply aren't mentally mature enough to appreciate all the risks of handling a firearm.

When I was a kid there were guns on a gun rack that I could very easily pick up anytime. We lived out in the country and my father would take the guns out and we would shoot them. My father laid down the law that we were NEVER to touch the guns unless he was there. He said, "If you touch the guns and they don't kill you, I will!" I knew that my father would not kill me but I also knew that he would make me wish I were dead. (Now that would not be received well with the libs today!) Later when he was sure that I knew how to use a gun safely my father gave me permission to take a gun anytime I wanted. A couple of friend and I would go hunting and shooting whenever we wanted and had a lot of fun.

So instead of hiding and locking up the guns, people should get teach their kids about guns. But the video games today teach kids that they can get killed in a game and it is not forever! That is not good!

He said, "If you touch the guns and they don't kill you, I will!"

Not a good system to rely on. Either the child doesn't believe his father will really kill him so the threat is meaningless, or the child does believe his father would kill him and he ends up needing psychotherapy the rest of his adult life.

To bad they are mixing responsible behavior (teaching children about firearms) with irresponsible behavior (not securing firearms from curious children.)

They are probably doing this to make teaching children about firearms also seem irresponsible.

Just because a child knows how to handle a firearm doesn't mean they have the maturity or mental capacity to act responsibly with firearms. Children should not have unsupervised access to firearms. They simply aren't mentally mature enough to appreciate all the risks of handling a firearm.

The problem with your statement is the fact that there are many on this forum and other outlets who were "brought up" with firearms and hunting and the like and they will profess that they absolutely are confident in their training of their children--many times they are proud to say their children are 5 or 6 or so. Ages like that bother me but who am I to say? I agree with you. At what age though?--wish I knew what to say. There is an old adage that you can tell when a child or even a teenager is lying--their mouth is moving. I have a grandson who is now 14. His father is from western Virginia and "grew up with firearms". They both took a series of firearm safety courses and my son in law is full time Army National Guard and is in charge of the weaponry in his battalion. My grandson has just killed his first deer in a hunt organized by the military. I did not like the pix of it. I believe my grandson is very responsible but who the heck knows--hey--how many "adults" out there are just plain morons when it comes to "handling a firearm"--you have seen the news where someone shoots themselves in the leg or whatever or even allows the firearm to get in the hands of a small child with deadly consequences. I was at the range and a guy, who was renting a pistol, came over to me to ask for assistance. He was having a problem with the function of the pistol.--Guess what? He had the mag in backwards. Really scary.

I know there are many adult people that make poor decisions. I am training my children the 4 rules to handle a firearm. There are tons of videos on YouTube that show grown adults doing stupid things. It is reprehensible. I have three young kids and keep all of my guns(all over the house in safes) my kids know where the guns are but have no access to them. To the guy at the range, I have a hard time being mean to him or talking down to him. He went to the range and rented a gun to learn. He should have taken a class but, what better place to learn but in a safe environment? Shooters help each other. That is what we do. I am a long time shooter but would not ever think twice of asking for help to a question to anyone at the ranges I go to. I always have more questions and to talk down on someone that is new to shooting defeats our cause.

When I was a kid there were guns on a gun rack that I could very easily pick up anytime. We lived out in the country and my father would take the guns out and we would shoot them. My father laid down the law that we were NEVER to touch the guns unless he was there. He said, "If you touch the guns and they don't kill you, I will!" I knew that my father would not kill me but I also knew that he would make me wish I were dead. (Now that would not be received well with the libs today!) Later when he was sure that I knew how to use a gun safely my father gave me permission to take a gun anytime I wanted. A couple of friend and I would go hunting and shooting whenever we wanted and had a lot of fun.

So instead of hiding and locking up the guns, people should get teach their kids about guns. But the video games today teach kids that they can get killed in a game and it is not forever! That is not good!

Your father sounded like a wise man... I'm sure he would not have left them in a rack had you not had respect for his authority. Something that is lacking in many children today, a lack of respect for authority.

A small detail about the video games, didn't our cartoons "teach" us the same thing? How many times did Wile E. Coyote die? How many times did Tom the Cat die? I cannot blame games for the way a child is. As one person once wrote, the best thing you can spend on a child is your time. Parents need to be involved with their children and show them right from wrong.

Having unlocked gun and ammo laying around is unsafe in any place that kids can(and will) get at. Most states have laws against it. That being said, I feel this 20/20 TV show is just another attempt by the anti-gunners to anthem their ideology to a national audience, to try to drum up more support for making all gun illegal and squash the 2nd Amendment. I'm pretty sure the Brady Bunch will be involved. And, I don't mean the TV family sitcom.

Having unlocked gun and ammo laying around is unsafe in any place that kids can(and will) get at. Most states have laws against it. That being said, I feel this 20/20 TV show is just another attempt by the anti-gunners to anthem their ideology to a national audience, to try to drum up more support for making all gun illegal and squash the 2nd Amendment. I'm pretty sure the Brady Bunch will be involved. And, I don't mean the TV family sitcom.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but blanketed general statements are exactly what liberals love to do.

You said that having an unlocked gun any place a kid can (and will) get at it is unsafe.

Define "kid". Is a kid a 3 yo or can a kid be a mature 14 yo, how about a 17 yo? Wouldn't you want that 14 yo if he was home alone to be able to defend himself if someone broke into the house?

I see scenarios where the idea "if you have children under the age of eighteen all guns and ammo must be locked at all times" is actually an imposition of our right to be able to protect ourselves.

I know a family where they have 7 children. None are 18 yet. But the oldest three 13, 15, 16 I would trust with access to their firearms. I've been hunting with them and they even point out safety errors some of the adults commit on the hunting trip. I would hope and pray they would have access to a firearm in case they needed to defend one another in their home. These kids are much more mature than a lot of adults I know. If there were no other children but them at home, I see no reason why the firearms would have to be locked up.

It really comes down to how the child was raised and it should come down to whether the parent knows the child is mature enough or not to handle the responsibility of firearms as to whether they are locked at all times or not. Therefore, I'm completely against yet another law infringing upon our rights and policing how people parent their children.

Concerning the show. I completely agree with you.

My father was a Vietnam vet and then a PA State Police Officer. There were always guns in the house when I was growing up. He taught me gun safety for as long as I can remember. When I was 8 he started taking me out to the range. We had great times together.

Is there anyone who thinks children should have unsupervised access to a loaded firearm?

I think it is important enough for kids to know about firearms that the Eddy Eagle program should be used in every school.

But even a kid trained in safe firearm handling shouldn't be allowed unsupervised access to a loaded firearm.

Is there anyone who thinks children should have unsupervised access to a loaded firearm?

I think it is important enough for kids to know about firearms that the Eddy Eagle program should be used in every school.

But even a kid trained in safe firearm handling shouldn't be allowed unsupervised access to a loaded firearm.

Again, a blanket statement. Please tell me the difference between an immature 18 yo adult and a mature 16 yo? So, if a parent left a 16 yo home alone one night, that 16 yo shouldn't be allowed to protect himself?

The government should have no business in raising our children.

I bet ABC doesn't break the numbers down when they state that 20 kids get hospitalized every day for a firearms injury. The Yale study they will reference also breaks it down by race and gender. Probably no surprises there either. While we are not doing a perfect job to keep our kids safe from an accident, the study clearly shows that the majority (by a wide margin) are ASSAULTS on black males age 15-19! I am sure you won't hear that. The study can be found here if you want to see more details and the graphs.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2014/01/22/peds.2013-1809.full.pdf

Let's all be completely honest here. Doesn't matter how much you know about gun safety, if you don't practice it perfectly, ALL THE TIME. I too grew up hunting and fishing, etc..... using guns from age 7 on. My dad started me off with a Daisy BB gun, and at age 8 a 4-10 single shot crack barrel shotgun, which I still have and use, and from there, at age 12 to his 12 gauge Browning semi-automatic. Did he teach me about gun safety and the dangers of guns? Yeah, you bet he did. He was a Marine who served in Korea, so he "knew all about guns and the danger of guns" (supposedly). Just like we all think we do. But, he never told me about the danger of not being aware of your own stupidity, or the stupidity of those around you.
Case in point - In 1974, when I was in high school, one of my 17 year old high school friends, also raised with guns from a similar age, DIED when the 12 gauge shotgun he was taking with him on a hunt, discharged, striking him in the lower abdomen. He was alone, and bled to death. Apparently, the gun was loaded and the trigger caught on something on the seat (perhaps the seat belt), when he pulled the weapon towards him to remove it from the vehicle. We grew up, having been taught, never place a loaded shotgun in your vehicle, always load it after you take it out of the car. Obviously, the business end was pointed at him when he pulled the weapon towards him. How many times have we all said to someone or thought to ourselves, never stand in front of a gun while its in someone's hands, or point it at someone else, unless we mean to do them harm? Countless times, I'm sure. But, how many times have we said, TO ANYONE, or thought, NEVER STAND IN FRONT OF A GUN WHICH IS NOT BEING HELD BY ANYONE?
Because of the incident described above, I say and think it all the time when in the presence of a weapon. I still will walk around my vehicle or whichever friends vehicle I have been riding in, to remove the weapons by the butt end of the gun. I have had friends laugh at me, as they have told me, "The guns are empty, HA HA. See, even the action is open." I respond to them, "Laugh all you want, but I have a story to tell you about an empty gun and a friend of mine." And then, I recite to them the story I just told to all of you. Until that happened, never in my life did I think such a thing would be possible, but I have learned that when being careless, anything is possible.
I have two sons of my own, and both learned about guns at a very early age. My oldest is a U.S. Marine Sargent, But you can bet your a$$ that when we are all together with weapons, I watch them and myself very carefully. I believe that a responsible gun owner should act as if the people around him as well as himself are total idiots when it comes to guns and handling them properly, then you increase your chances of NOT having an accident. Believe me when I tell you that I have no problem telling some complete stranger with a gun, that he needs to be more careful with his weapon when in my opinion, he is being careless. If he continues to be careless, I move on.
Stay vigilant, stay safe.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back