AA Alcoholics Anonymous) participation - disqualify CCW

Unless court ordered, you should have no problems. If you attended "Closed" or "Open" Meetings" at your own accord, there is no attendance recorded so again, no problem. Do you think you (or your "Friend") needs to attend a meeting??? There might be a problem.
Any education you receive going through Life is another tool to use.

re: TO WHOM DO CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS BELONG? TO THE BELLIGERENT!

excellent and so true - I worry for my kids' generation - mid 20's - who have been influenced to consider the Constitution a quaint old document but not to be taken too seriously. I'd say more than 50% of Congress sees it the same way.

Will participation in Alcoholics Anonymous disqualify a CCW applicant or jeopardize an existing CCW holder's license, if CCW licensing officials in a given state obtain knowledge of the participation?

I'm not a PA resident nor an alcoholic. But I would say if your going to AA and NOT drinking than you can honestly answer NO to that question. If that question was asked for you, good for you and good luck!

There are no membership lists or attendence records kept by AA or used at AA meetings. Saying that someone is a member of AA or an active participant is like saying that they are a "sheepdog". Who is to say what the standard is?

You are the spawn of SATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::biggrin::laugh:

snatale-42:
Excellent point and thanks - but you know how court can destroy context. It will go miles out of its way to destroy context. I just wonder if AA attendance can be manipulated against an otherwise honest and decent CCW or applicant, who happens to be responsible and sensible enough to seek a proven and respectable resource, like AA.

Last edited:
Again, AA’s image of anonymity is not relevant. Any government agency pursuing information in order to build a case will get that information.

As the courts can get in trouble for even forcing one to go to AA/NA, it really shouldn't matter. Courts can only order treatment. Where depends on what the person wants. IMHO, it really should be nobody's business but the person attending. Even moreso if you go on your own.

Case law is at http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2007/09/07/0615474.pdf Person objected on religious grounds.

This is an excellent reference regarding compelled AA attendance to meet parole requirements and the courts' view of that mandate and AA. Thanks.
I'm interested however, in AA atendance by a CCW holder or applicant and how or if that participation with its implications can be used [by a DA or other government agency] as supplemental evidence or reason to suspend or revoke a CCW license [or deny a CCW applicant] if the person is under investigation for a crime where carrying would or could endanger the public.

Does anybody know what the word "anonymous" means? "Without any name acknowledged."
Just thought I would put in my "two cents", I haven't had a drop for almost 14 yrs. Sorry if you did not want to hear that...

Does anybody know what the word "anonymous" means? "Without any name acknowledged."
Just thought I would put in my "two cents", I haven't had a drop for almost 14 yrs. Sorry if you did not want to hear that...

Again, AA’s image of anonymity is not relevant. Any government agency pursuing information in order to build a case will get that information. Surely, nobody contributing to this thread actually thinks that anonymity exists if any level of government wants to know.
AND CORRECT! This thread has nothing to do with recovered alcoholics or abstinent folks chiming in. Please find support groups for those topics and have a nice day.

Last edited:
My answer is no, albeit unqualified.

In dealing with four states over the years I have found a general vagueness. I consider that the State is using the everyday pedestrian meaning of words and conditions rather than a clinical, recovery, or dogmatic intent.

A person with twenty years continuous sobriety is an alcoholic and is still addicted to alcohol as far as the recovery community is concerned. The same person "used to be an alcoholic" to his cousin's wife.

The only specificity I have seen is in regards to inpatient or outpatient treatment and a period of years since.

JohnL:
Excellent points and AA members will agree with you I think. Thanks

Last edited:
Again, AA’s image of anonymity is not relevant. Any government agency pursuing information in order to build a case will get that information. Surely, nobody contributing to this thread actually thinks that anonymity exists if any level of government wants to know.
AND CORRECT! This thread has nothing to do with recovered alcoholics or abstinent folks chiming in. Please find support groups for those topics and have a nice day.
AA's policy is anonimity but the state does not have to ask it. All they have to do is ask anyone they see coming out of a meeting if ( holding up a picture ) they have seen this person at any meetings. Members are not bound to silence by any laws. Would a rogue DA do it, youbetcha.

So you go to AA meetings how can that be used against you in court? It seems to me that it would harm the DA's case. It would not play well for them.

AA's policy is anonimity but the state does not have to ask it. All they have to do is ask anyone they see coming out of a meeting if ( holding up a picture ) they have seen this person at any meetings. Members are not bound to silence by any laws. Would a rogue DA do it, youbetcha.

S&W645:
You are 100% correct and 100% to the point of this thread.

Last edited:
So you go to AA meetings how can that be used against you in court? It seems to me that it would harm the DA's case. It would not play well for them.

Excellent point Seeya - the DA would risk a lot to be at odds with a well-respected and proven organization like "AA."
But, if it [the DA office] opts to burn the suspect with AA connections to overwhelm the defense, it will be done.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back