1st time carrying concealed today...

thevinmanfxst

After "practicing" around the house for a month or so, I finally got up the nerve to go out into public armed...

The family and I made a run to a local country fair today and well, thankfully, it was very uneventful. It was a battle of nerves more than anything. I'd be lying if I was not just a little paranoid I was printing...like every 2 minutes.

Does anyone else remember their first time carrying concealed? Were you a little self conscious? Any advice or experience out there for first timers just getting used to the armed lifestyle?

you know, i think i was more nervous about shooting than i was about carrying. i've been carrying for about 2 yrs now and i still get self conscious about printing once in a while. i generally make myself feel better by thinking "if someone sees and doesn't like it... screw em... it's my right. so long as i'm doing what i'm supposed to to try and keep it concealed, who cares what people think." u do get used to it though. now i'd feel as lost if i left the house without it as i would if i forgot my wallet or cell phone.

If you've been carrying at home for a month, you know already whether the gun is uncovered or printing. Relax a little bit. keep your head up and eyes open. Don't drink. Don't show it (the gun) to anyone, and for God's sake don't take it out of the holster for any reason unless you really mean it.

You weren't the only one at that fair that was armed today. There is nothing notable about carrying once you make a habit of it.

Thank you for being another armed good guy. The world is a little but safer when responsible gun owners are about.

-Matt

I remember the same anxiety, but it will pass and soon you will realize that no one is really looking or even realizes it even if you print a little. I like carrying concealed as opposed to open because you just seem like everyone else.

I'm only a few months into carrying myself, and I was definitely thinking, "Everybody's looking at me!" the first several times I carried. This is particularly nerve-racking for me since I am in a public position. However, I now realize that I've actually gone unnoticed to everyone, even my most observant law enforcement friends. Nobody has "made" me yet, not even career firearms trainers. I'm not carrying a pea shooter either. It's a Glock 23. It's not quite like carrying a 1911, but it's not a .380 either. Over these past months I've come to understand what ritz says. I feel weird NOT carrying. It's just natural now.

Get formal training to learn much of what a person doesn't know until they do, and you'll be fine.

Some real good advice above. No drinking, Don't tell ANYONE! (PERIOD); and don't take that thing out unless you are prepared to destroy something.
Yeah, I remember the first time carrying. Yes, I had some of the same feelings as you. Now it as much a part of me as putting on my shoes or pants. I feel weird when I don't have it. It is tough to go shooting with someone and them not know.

You have to go to Wally World for a "Wally Walk." I guess its a right of passage in the south. (Maybe north too.)

Lastly, +1 for keep training; take further courses; consult your LGS for those who do a good job of secondary training. Prevailing in low light is a good course. Because the vast majority of incidents occur at night. A good class doesn't have to cost an arm and leg. 400 to 800 rounds and $150 to $400 depending on what is being taught. Keep a log of your training / practice activities. Could come in handy at a trial.

Welcome to carrying. Its a ton of responsibility.

After "practicing" around the house for a month or so, I finally got up the nerve to go out into public armed...

The family and I made a run to a local country fair today and well, thankfully, it was very uneventful. It was a battle of nerves more than anything. I'd be lying if I was not just a little paranoid I was printing...like every 2 minutes.

Does anyone else remember their first time carrying concealed? Were you a little self conscious? Any advice or experience out there for first timers just getting used to the armed lifestyle?

The longer you do it, the more comfortable you will become. Just don't get TOO complacent.

I recall my first outing caring. I was a bit self conscious. Now days I forget it's there sometimes. Time will pass and you too will feel like you forgot to put on underwear if you are not carrying.

You will get use to it! I remember going out for the first time with my glock 27. No big deal for me, in fact after an hour or so I didn't realize I had it on. Very comfortable with it.

I'll be carrying for the first time soon. It will definitely take some time to get used to it!

Even if your gun prints a little bit, most people will not notice because they wont follow you around staring at your waistline wondering what is on your belt. If a person did notice something, most people would not automatically assume its a gun.
And after all, you are carrying for you. Dont be concerned about what random people think if they notice you are carrying a concealed gun.

It takes time:

I've been carrying for about 7 years with a Michigan license. The first few times I carried I felt totally weird. For the first 52 years of my life what I was doing was a felony and suddenly it wasn't. It takes time to adjust. The fact that I was carrying what I had at the time, a S&W .357 Model 28, didn't make it easier. Pretty hard to conceal. Now I carry an LCP.

Welcome to the club!

I echo was others have said. you will spend money on holsters you never use and will change how you dress. :laugh: Try several types of holsters for different carrying needs until you find what you like and buy clothes that will help conceal. I highly advise a gun belt if you don't have one already. Many look like regular belts these days so fashion shouldn't be an obstacle. Try not to tug on your shirt or touch the gun to much to make sure it's covered. It's a giveaway. After you carry for a bit you will know what works and what doesn't. I like the current line of tuck-able IWB my self.

Also, be careful when you travel out of your state. I live near NY and NJ and have been advised to leave my hollow points and high cap magazines at home when traveling under the "peaceable journey" laws. If you haven't already please read up on it. There are lot's of horror stories about decent people getting put in jail.

I agree with Iam2Taz. Don't tell anyone nor show anyone unless you know they are also a shooter and have no problem with citizens going about armed. This is especially true at work. I wouldn't even talk about guns at work in case you are over heard. Some people are passionately afraid of them and will literately freak. Know the law and be prepared to explain the law and why you carry in a calm manner if needed.

Do not use the gun as a threat unless you are seriously afraid for your life. Don't even hint you have one as it can be seen as a "threat with a deadly weapon" even if it never leaves the holster. Your pride might get hurt but walk away if you can.

Just because you have a gun, please let law enforcement help you when needed and where possible. For example, don't enter a building where bad guys may be unless someone is in danger. Don't clear your own house if you think it's been broken in to. Call the cops and let them clear it. There are more examples but you get the idea. Cops usually do things in pairs for a reason and have been trained for such events.

Welcome to CC club. Just a question, is it legal to carry in a fair? (I know...this is a good place for a whacko to show up but the legality of it is and the implications later is what concerns me here...)

My first time out I did the Wally Walk. You will be surprised how people don't pay any attention. You think it sticks out like a red flag but only you know. I carry IWB with a Kel-Tec PF-9 and with shorts and a T-Shirt there is nothing at all. Black or a heavy print shirt helps conceal better than plain white. Over time it will be second nature to carry and you will notice it more when you don't...like somethings missing.

Good luck,
Mike

Well said matt....first time i ventured out legal was 14 years ago.....was driving a Cab at the time. It was against company policy to carry, but not against the law, 1. because I was an Ind Contractor, and 2. I had a carry permit. I was a little nervous, but of course now strapping up my .40 is as common as putting my wallet in my pocket. I got used to it very quickly. Wouldn't have it any other way now. Carry On.

My first was Home Depot or Albertsons or someplace like that. Close to home and just out shopping.

I read a post here on USACarry about one of our members waking up to find a strange man on top of her, in her own home. I had a discussion with my wife about home security and at that point decided to wear it full time when allowed.

Ever since I have been checking into where I can and cant carry legally here in Wa.

Congrats on finally giving yourself a fighting chance I was very excited about being able to save my own life I wear the best clothing I can to camaflauge my weapon and keep my eyes open for danger good luck be safe

I remember my first time carrying concealed lol. You kinda get over the jitters. Just be aware of your surroundings and youll be fine.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back