How often do you get pulled over by LEO?

Reba

Sinner saved by grace
After reading thru several related and unrelated threads, I've picked up on a recurring topic--how to respond when carrying while driving and getting pulled over by LEO. From the various responses, it would seem that USACarry posters are amongst the most pulled over population in the country.

I don't think that's true but I get that impression because the topic is brought up so much. Is it really a common problem for gun carriers?

I'm almost 65 years old, have lived and driven in several states, and at times commuted daily in horrendous traffic. I've never been pulled over for any reason. The closest thing to being pulled over was stopping for traffic stops where LEO set up at random sites to check everyone's licenses, insurance and registration (and I suppose check for sobriety as needed). I think I've done that once or twice. I've been thru a few random gate checks at military bases. That's it.

So, my question is, how often have you been pulled over by any LEO?

Funny you ask that because it seems to be a big concern here. I'm 45 and I think the last time I was pulled over was maybe 5-6 years ago and maybe a total of three times in my lifetime.
And I've encountered a few road blocks. Neither of that concern me because I live in a state where is not required to disclose so I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tippytappy

I'm 61, been driving motorcycles (legally) since I was 15, cages (off the learner's permit) since the day after I turned 16, various levels of commercial vehicles up to and including over-the-road tractor-trailers up to 70 hours and a few thousand miles per week since my late 20s/early 30s, and I've been pulled over for traffic violations exactly twice, once in CA in my early 20s, and once maybe 15 or 20 years ago after we moved to Alabama. Both times I got tickets with no out-of-the-ordinary conduct by either myself or the cop happening. Both times I opted for traffic school to take the points off my record so my insurance wouldn't go up, which it didn't in either case. As far as being pulled over for some actual infraction of traffic laws or my own conduct that might justify the invocation of probable cause, that's The End of my story, with one minor caveat that the time I got pulled over in AL I was carrying, didn't spontaneously disclose and the cop didn't ask, and neither did the cop take a hit to his safety, and I wasn't yanked from my vehicle and/or disarmed.

Now, as far as involuntary contact with cops for which I did absolutely nothing illegal to cause the forced contact, I've been stopped at two DUI checkpoints, both of which took place within a year of each other (I actually think it was much less than that, but since I'm not sure, I know I'm safe saying within a year), and both of which took place at the exact same place which was right around the corner from where I worked at the time. In both cases the line was 20 minutes long, and in both cases I was on my way to work and in both cases I was late for work because of the delay the "show-me-your-papers" stop caused.

So for whatever relevancy it may or may not demonstrate to my interest in discussing cop encounters and how I believe it to be in one's best interests to conduct themselves, I'm tied with cops in that two stops were my fault, and two were theirs, for a total of four times in my life that I recall.

I base almost nothing of what I have to say about potential jeopardy of being stopped on personal experience, except for the experience chronicled in the link in my sig-line. Except for that, my interest in the subject is purely based on my interest in discussing, understanding, and opining on constitutional issues and how well or poorly this country is adhering to them, which I imagine no one really has to guess whether or not I think it's very poorly. As such, I resent the Hell out of being stopped by cops at a show-me-your-papers checkpoint. I view those cops as oath-breakers, just as I view the Supreme Court who illegitimately gave them the power to ignore the probable cause clause of the Fourth Amendment, or even just the "reasonable articulable suspicion" part of Terry v. Ohio by the SCOTUS, as oath-breakers too. I regard the Chiefs of Police and Sheriffs who set up those show-me-your-papers checkpoints in the same light. We, The People specifically withheld such authority from them to go on fishing expeditions, and yet it is We, The People who are accused of giving them lip or a bad attitude if we vocally object to the ubiquitous, but nonetheless unconstitutional, practice.

How many times one has been contacted by cops, whether for cause or no cause, has no bearing on how relevant to modern-day life in America the issues being discussed in other threads are. Most of us have never been shot, shot at, had to shoot or shoot at someone else, and yet here we are on only one among several hundred (at least) gun forums specifically dedicated to carry issues. Not sure why it matters, but the preceding is my answer to the question asked of how many times have I been pulled over/been involuntarily contacted by cops, as well as the underlying question that I infer from the OP about why it's important enough to discuss at so much length if hardly anyone is hardly ever pulled over. It's important because this is America, or at least was America for a significant portion of my 61 years, and people are WAY too comfortable with liberty being stolen from us if they can't see it, or even envision it, feel it or experience it happening to them personally. This country was created around the thought that the government that governs least, governs best, and yet when I promulgate that notion in every post I make on issues of government, I am referred to as something akin to an anarchist. It is truly sad the state of submission to huge, overreaching, overly-intrusive government many people in this country accept as "normal" anymore. TRULY sad.

Blues

ETA: I remembered one other incidence of being pulled over that I discussed here, but apparently have succeeded in putting out of my mind for the most part so forgot to include it.

After reading thru several related and unrelated threads, I've picked up on a recurring topic--how to respond when carrying while driving and getting pulled over by LEO. From the various responses, it would seem that USACarry posters are amongst the most pulled over population in the country.

I don't think that's true but I get that impression because the topic is brought up so much. Is it really a common problem for gun carriers?

I'm almost 65 years old, have lived and driven in several states, and at times commuted daily in horrendous traffic. I've never been pulled over for any reason. The closest thing to being pulled over was stopping for traffic stops where LEO set up at random sites to check everyone's licenses, insurance and registration (and I suppose check for sobriety as needed). I think I've done that once or twice. I've been thru a few random gate checks at military bases. That's it.

So, my question is, how often have you been pulled over by any LEO?
Maybe 5 times.

Being pulled over while carrying is no different than being pulled over while not carrying.

Not once in over 25 years. I don't drive like an idiot though so that could be part of the reason.

Are there "show me your papers" roadblocks where you live though? They might call 'em "DUI Checks" or "Driver's License Checks," but in any case it's still being stopped by cops, and I'm pretty sure they happen in every state in the Union. If that's not true, I would actually think about moving. Those kinds of stops gall me to no end.

Blues

About once per year. I drive back county road to work and also to town and there are two lower speed limit sections on it which are also very popular places for the sheriff to hang out at. I often times forget to reset my cruise control when the speed limit changes. I average about 1 times out of 4 getting a ticket during these times, I suspect usually because when I see the sheriff and I have forgotten to change my cruise control I watch them closely and the first hint I have they are coming after me I know where the convenient places are to stop and I just pull into those places and wait for them. I have never mentioned my CPL nor my gun and neither has any police officer during a traffic stop.

I also make it very efficient for the officer to get the stop over with with minimum fuss. Pulled over off the main road in a place safe for the officer. I have my driver's license in my hand with my military ID card which is required to validate my out of state driver's license which would be expired without military ID. Window rolled down. Engine off and radio off. Night time interior light on. Folder retrieved from glove box with my insurance and registration in the folder on my lap. Greet the officer with, "Good morning/afternoon, sir" with hand raised with license/ID card so he/she can readily accept them. If that isn't enough to "put the officer at ease" then showing them my CPL and telling them about my gun isn't going to do much more.

If the officer is that concerned that I (or any other traffic stop) might be armed, then why don't they just ask?

Are there "show me your papers" roadblocks where you live though? They might call 'em "DUI Checks" or "Driver's License Checks," but in any case it's still being stopped by cops, and I'm pretty sure they happen in every state in the Union. If that's not true, I would actually think about moving. Those kinds of stops gall me to no end.

Blues
I don't like those stops either.

Worse are the gate checks at military bases. Everyone (all passengers) have to show ID's, and they inspect everything (opening the trunk, looking in back seat, etc.).

Worst though is driving a commercial vehicle on base. Hubby drives a commercial van in his business. Whenever he has to go on base he and van get x-rayed in addition to being searched and mirrored.

Worse are the gate checks at military bases. Everyone (all passengers) have to show ID's, and they inspect everything (opening the trunk, looking in back seat, etc.).

Worst though is driving a commercial vehicle on base. Hubby drives a commercial van in his business. Whenever he has to go on base he and van get x-rayed in addition to being searched and mirrored.

:stop: It's all for the safety of the children.... :lol:

We have to be more careful about speed the last few days of each month. That's when monthly quota/revenue speed traps are set up in our area. They're fairly conspicuous so it's no big deal.

4 times pulled over, 4 tickets recieve, last one I got was 8ish years ago.

I don't think the members here get pulled over a lot, I think like all forums, people join to ask the same question over and over when they haven't tried researching first.

Even less of us have defended ourselves with a weapon, but that topic comes up a lot more than "police notification" threads.

Sent from my SM-N920T using USA Carry mobile app

On post is different. The terror threat creates a legitimate reason to emplacement security measures for access to a military installation

On post is different. The terror threat creates a legitimate reason to emplacement security measures for access to a military installation
Oh, I understand it; it's just no fun. It used to be that Hubby and I having our military ID's was enough to get onto bases but not always true now.

I was pulling Son's trailer (licensed in his state of residence with their typical 1/2 size plate) and a local SHP trooper couldn't figure it out w/o hassling me for 20 minutes.
IIRC I've only been stopped 5 times in almost 50 years of having a drivers' license. Four of those times involved a commercial truck or pickup and trailer.

I guess I'm par for the course. I've been stopped once by LEO about 17 mo ago. That being in Illinois at 1:30 am on I-80. It was winter with clear roads and no other traffic around. I drifted upwards of 80 mph and a State Trooper pulled me over. As I handed him my Driver and Carry licenses he noticed the handgun case on the passenger floor of my truck, saw the concealed license and asked if the gun was unloaded and the case locked. Both were true. He called in my ID and gave me a warning for the speed and wished me a safe drive home. No complaints about the encounter from me.

The last time I was stopped was in 2008 or 2009 for driving through a strangely marked intersection (on a green light) coming out of a mall. Of course the cop wanted me to inform when UNARMED, something TOTALLY outside of the law in Ohio. My response, "no".

I drive the speed limit and obey the traffic laws precisely because I have ZERO desire to interact with the police.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back